Play Psp On The Pandora With Actual Psp Hardware Attached

.Gogeta§§J4BR.

that brazilian guy =`]
Website
robertocr.com
I'm getting interested in getting one old psp1K of mine and attach it (only the board, planning on making a nicer-looking add-on block later) to pandora's usb port and run remotejoy.
So you can play psp games on the pandora itself. used psps are dirty cheap, you can use then even if everything is messed up (screen, buttons, etc), so it would be a terrific add-on to the pandora.
You would be able to carry lots of games on a big secondary SD card (then send them to the PSP MS), you'd be able to play with pandora's controller and on its screen...
Video could be displayed at original resolution (480*272), stretched to 720*408 (50% more width and height, would look terrific) or stretched to 800*453 (almost pandora's resolution)

Is anyone working on this project already? If so, can anyone tell me who is doing it, or who might be interested too?
I'm very interested in trying it out... =`]

Sounds like an interesting project - my only concern might be bandwidth/latency issues with USB. Is there enough bandwidth to send game data, input, etc. to the PSP, while receiving screen updates back? Would it require any additional software? (You'd also have to port Remotejoy - I don't know how difficult this might be.)

I'm a li'l confused... don't you need the PSP screen to setup RemoteJoy before you start any games?

I haven't used RemoteJoy in a long time, but I recall it being very finicky to work properly. Maybe things have changed since I used it (couple years ago), but I remember something about the 2000 series working better because it had more memory than the 1000 series (some high-mem-usage games displayed, but were unresponsive). Perhaps it might be a keener idea to spend a bit more money and get a 2000 instead. ;)

Anywho, might be a cool project to try out if you have more details in mind than you've described here. Will be nice to see what you come up with. :)

ive used remotejoy a long time ago too, it wasnt so good, but became interested now that many great psp games are out and those youtube videos show it's working fine
and I'm pretty sure you can set it up to run at boot time, no real psp needed...

does anyone with a pandora has a psp to try it out? :p

actually when i first bought the pandora, i was thinking the same thing (although had no skill to make the modification [also i think the sd card game files thing, is a bad idea])

remotejoy is fine at times, but i dont think it would be good enough for some of the fast action games,
i developed my own simple game and it lagged quite badly (although it was capturing encoding a saving the video)

also if you managed to cut the mobo in 3 you could stack it all up, into the size of the umd drive, or you could rip it right off

atleast we get an additional analogue stick

remotejoy can be used as a GAME and VSH plugin, so you can control it all from the start

"also i think the sd card game files thing, is a bad idea"
I was only thinking a secondary big SD card on the pandora would really help me carry more ISOs =`P get it?
when modding we could really trash everything other than the main board and maybe the battery (actually, even that isn't necessary... power it off poor pandora's battery :p ) and end up only using the board...

is remotejoy lite still laggy now? parappa looks fine (it's a very timing-critic game)

http://cgi.din.or.jp/~takakind/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=RemoteJoyLite
japanese translations don't quite work yet, do them? =`P this is worse than me trying to speak english, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
"also i think the sd card game files thing, is a bad idea"
I was only thinking a secondary big SD card on the pandora would really help me carry more ISOs =`P get it?
when modding we could really trash everything other than the main board and maybe the battery (actually, even that isn't necessary... power it off poor pandora's battery :p ) and end up only using the board...

is remotejoy lite still laggy now? parappa looks fine (it's a very timing-critic game)

http://cgi.din.or.jp...p=RemoteJoyLite
japanese translations don't quite work yet, do them? =`P this is worse than me trying to speak english, lol

This is awesome!!! I now have a use for my psp with a fudged screen. I can play it through my computer. I just set this up after seeing this thread and its awesome. Only prob is I can only use it on my single windows box. The rest of my machines run linux mint so no client. Oh well thanks for the heads up on this and I may look to do something similar with my old psp inside a computer or connected to pandora (if client is ported).

If it doesn't work on PC Linux, it won't likely work on Pandora's Linux. If it's open source, though, it might be ported if it doesn't use too much Windows-specific stuff like directx.

paulguy said:
If it doesn't work on PC Linux, it won't likely work on Pandora's Linux. If it's open source, though, it might be ported if it doesn't use too much Windows-specific stuff like directx.
It does have source and I read that it did work on Linux, but I don't know how reliable those posts were - I couldn't find any real evidence that anyone had compiled it successfully, just people talking about it.

You were saying it would work if every thing was possibly messed up screen buttons and you were going to make a different case for it so it would look neater stacked under the Pandora. Is there and way you could utilize the shoulder buttons from the psp cause that would be freaking awesome to have two sets of shoulder buttons like a ps controller. And if that was all ready addressed or the whole thing was shot down i apologize i didn't read through the whole thread i got to excited cause that sounds like a pretty cool idea.

imagine a world where the pandora plays all psp games B)
Remote Joy Lite 0.20a Fullscreen
i'd probably remove all of psp's heavy stuff and only use the board for modding, but I'm not sure...
can anyone with a pandora give remotejoy a quick port and see if it works ok? :rolleyes: (ps: I can't seem to find 0.20a's source code, only 0.19's)

.Gogeta§§J4BR.: Check the pspdev/ps2dev svn

I played Burnout and Tony Hawk via remotejoy some time ago and ended up hacking my own remotejoy together (based on the original) only for GTA so I could record my stunts. But it was still too slow for me.
Not sure how much better it is now, but anyway, personally I wouldn't want to do that.
If you want a PSP, get a PSP..

thx for the reply
I keep wondering how exactly does it work
does it send images using usb or does it actually send the 3D gfx info? (maybe that's why direct3d is needed on the client end)?
ps: I want a psp IN my pandora =`P

It sends images; probably uncompressed ones. (At 60 fps, that's ~22 MB/s.) The last time I used remotejoylite, DJ Max Portable (a rhythm game) played perfectly, except that the plugin caused it to crash upon saving.

JayFoxRox said:
.Gogeta§§J4BR.: Check the pspdev/ps2dev svn

I played Burnout and Tony Hawk via remotejoy some time ago and ended up hacking my own remotejoy together (based on the original) only for GTA so I could record my stunts. But it was still too slow for me.
Not sure how much better it is now, but anyway, personally I wouldn't want to do that.
If you want a PSP, get a PSP..

Yea, I'll be getting a PSP as soon as they announce .hack//Link is coming to the US. However, if this turns out to be a viable option, I might try this as well. Btw, how's your emulator coming?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I was wondering if you had picked up work on it again. (Got another Beagleboard to test it with, for example)

-God Ginrai

typs lik dis said:
It sends images; probably uncompressed ones. (At 60 fps, that's ~22 MB/s.) The last time I used remotejoylite, DJ Max Portable (a rhythm game) played perfectly, except that the plugin caused it to crash upon saving.

Yes, thats what I found as well. Not just saving even loading a save (that sucks) but game works. Only tried 0.19 since I read 0.20 was unstable test. Maybe I'll try and see what the difference is.

dsleaf67 said:
typs lik dis said:

Yes, thats what I found as well. Not just saving even loading a save (that sucks) but game works. Only tried 0.19 since I read 0.20 was unstable test. Maybe I'll try and see what the difference is.

I just tried the new version and I don't have the shutdown issue when accessing saves for PSP games anymore, however it does seem a little slower then 0.19. Will do some more compares.

Back