tigervnc or Xvnc VNC/X server on Pandora?

Here it is. No guarantee that it will work. Didn't test at all.

Sorry for doublecompression.  Cannot attach tar.bz2 files.

tigervnc.zip

Attachments

• tigervnc.zip
    544.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that, it's pretty tightly bound to the whole process.

Looks like what it does is uses imake to build a world makefile which does a bunch of stuff, builds some headers and compiles some code, then crafts a configure script in the Xvnc directory. You then run the ./configure which uses imake to build a Makefile. I tried just copying the Makefile but it's riddled with x86 defines and requires some 64 bit headers.

I've seen automakeception, where you'll get 2 or 3 layers of different (or sometimes the same) make makers that must all be called sequentially, but this is the first time I've seen a circular make system. It's impossible to break out of and is doing nothing to make me re-evaluate my stance on automakes.
Ok, did take a quick look. Imake is still part of X and the xorg version is straightforward to compile.

Unfortunately it is too new for the 6.3 based tigntvnc 1.3. But that actually already includes a better suited version, though the documentation is suboptimal. The build finishes, but I don't have time to test the result. Here is the recipe if someone wants to follow up, though mcobit's buid is probavbly better. I used the very nice C dev tools PND from freamon.

1. cd into Xvnc

2. let configure create config/cf/platform.def (the rest can be disabled)

3. cd into config/imake

3a. fix the embedded cpp program name in imake.c or imakemdef.h

4. build imake using the bootstrap Makefile with 'make -f Makefile.ini'

5. cd into ../cf

6. fix up linux.cf (at least the architecture detection and DefaultGccIncludeDir)

7. cd into ../makedepend

8. do '../imake/imake -I../cf -DTOPDIR=../.. -DCURDIR=.', then 'make'

9. cd into ../../../libvncauth

10. do '../Xvnc/config/imake/imake -I../Xvnc/config/cf -DTOPDIR=../Xvnc -DCURDIR=.', 'make Makefiles', 'make includes', 'make depend', and finally 'make'

11. cd into ../Xvnc

12. do 'config/imake/imake -Iconfig/cf -DTOPDIR=. -DCURDIR=.', 'make Makefiles', 'make includes', 'make depend', and finally 'make'

13. wait

It builds fine for me and leaves Xvnc in programs/Xserver. Don't know what is required to run it. If there is interest, I could tar the whole directory tree.

edit: just remembered the missing step 3a.

Here it is. No guarantee that it will work. Didn't test at all.

Sorry for doublecompression. Cannot attach tar.bz2 files.
Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I run it? I extracted the zip, then the bz2, then the tar and I was left with a bunch of folders containing the code. Which file is the actual "application" that I run?

There is a bin folder that contains the vncserver application. You should be able to run it with ./vncserver.

This shouldn't be the sourcecode, just the binaries and acompaning share folder etc.

Ok, so I'm SSHing into the SuperZaxxon install.

I have vncserver coppied over

I'm currently CDed into the same folder where vncserver is

but everytime I type "vncserver" it keeps saying "command not found"

How do I get it to recognize that im trying to excecute an application, not run a command?

Ok, I figured out what I did wrong there. Aparently you cant install programs to the root, they need to be in /usr/bin (damn you Linus T.) So I reinstalled it only this time it says "couldn't find /usr/bin/Xvnc"

I'll try installing all the programs but I doubt that will fix it

Ok, wow I just realized what I did. The folders in the .tar.bz2 file corrospond to the install locations in Linux. Sorry, Im still new to all this. But I'm learning a lot :)

Ok so I installed all the bin files properly but it still says it cant find /usr/bin/Xnvc
Xvnc is not included in the archive. By default, building tigervnc just produces the client software.. The server (Xvnc) must be build separately, which can be quite a hassle (I tried it myself :) )

Maybe _jr_'s approach works for you. Otherwise you could still try using x11vnc with a virtual frame buffer.

Ok so I installed all the bin files properly but it still says it cant find /usr/bin/Xnvc
Xvnc is not included in the archive. By default, building tigervnc just produces the client software.. The server (Xvnc) must be build separately, which can be quite a hassle (I tried it myself :) )

Maybe _jr_'s approach works for you. Otherwise you could still try using x11vnc with a virtual frame buffer.
How do I setup a virtual Framebuffer? I thought Linux didn't allow such things.

I am still trying to figure out what your usecase for a seperate x server in a vnc is.

What do you want to do with it if you get it set up?

I am using the LinuxOnAndroid environment to run SuperZaxxon on my phone. I /could/ use a framebuffer and have it interract with my phone's scree natively. However, thats really buggy and not as smoothe. I'd rather VNC into it using a localhost:port so I can dynamically switch between Android and Linux (I could even run both side by side since I have MultiWindow). But, so far I have been unable to run a VNC server. Luckily, Dropbear come pre-installed in SuperZaxxon so I can use the command line no problem, but the only VNC server is x11VNC which requires a physical display. I think setting up a virtual framebuffer could make X11vnc work, but I'm not sure yet.

Hum... you think that a vnc connection to the same host is faster than a framebuffer?

I don't think so.

Edit: I am using this approach to manage vms on a quad core xeon server, where it still is slow.

Faster? No. Less buggy and an overall smoother user experience? Yes. I use smoothe as in user accessability, not speed

Back