tigervnc or Xvnc VNC/X server on Pandora?

"vncserver" is just pearl script and wrapper for "Xvnc". There is no need to compile it. So you need Xvnc. Alternatively you could use x11vnc with a virtual framebuffer, I think.

Xvnc isn't even available in angstrom repos. It's part of tightvncserver in the debian/Ubuntu repositories. Might be able to compile TightVNC for the Pandora. Going to need v1.3, the latest appears to be Windows only.

Could you explain a bit more, what exactly you are trying to do?

Ooo! Cool. How does one do this exactly? Whats involved with compiling for a new device?
First, go back in time and murder everyone who invented yet-another-way-of-automatically-creating-makefiles. I'd never even heard of imake until this, yet it is required. I can't find a package that includes it and the source code I've found for building it is from 1997 and doesn't want to build because, despite claiming to need an ANSI-C compiler, it does things that are against the standard.In seriousness, it should be a simple matter of downloading the code, typing "./configure" (which will tell you if anything is missing, which you then install and keep trying until it works), and then type "make". TightVNC apparently requires this imake thing as well which is so outdated as to practically not exist.

Yes. I just don't know how to build it. I've installed it on my desktop so I know it must be possible but this source code is just so bizarre.

I used Imake to build lincity-ng.

I used crosscompiling, so it was a simple apt-get from ubuntu to get it for my host machine.

Edit: In debian it is in xutils-dev apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, go back in time and murder everyone who invented yet-another-way-of-automatically-creating-makefiles. I'd never even heard of imake until this, yet it is required. I can't find a package that includes it and the source code I've found for building it is from 1997 and doesn't want to build because, despite claiming to need an ANSI-C compiler, it does things that are against the standard.

In seriousness, it should be a simple matter of downloading the code, typing "./configure" (which will tell you if anything is missing, which you then install and keep trying until it works), and then type "make". TightVNC apparently requires this imake thing as well which is so outdated as to practically not exist.
This was the standard build environment for things X11 when I was young. The good old times :)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do much more than invoking the preprocessor. Might be possible to just use imake on another system and copy the Makefiles, since the X related directories are pretty standardized nowadays.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do much more than invoking the preprocessor. Might be possible to just use imake on another system and copy the Makefiles, since the X related directories are pretty standardized nowadays.
I tried that, it's pretty tightly bound to the whole process.Looks like what it does is uses imake to build a world makefile which does a bunch of stuff, builds some headers and compiles some code, then crafts a configure script in the Xvnc directory. You then run the ./configure which uses imake to build a Makefile. I tried just copying the Makefile but it's riddled with x86 defines and requires some 64 bit headers.

I've seen automakeception, where you'll get 2 or 3 layers of different (or sometimes the same) make makers that must all be called sequentially, but this is the first time I've seen a circular make system. It's impossible to break out of and is doing nothing to make me re-evaluate my stance on automakes.

If tigervnc is an option, too, I built that without hassle some time ago.

Back