tigervnc or Xvnc VNC/X server on Pandora?

It's mostly about speed and Pandora's PND standard. My solution requires either the user use an SD card install or modify the NAND. If someone were to bother making a PND of a VNC server, tiger would likely be the faster, more robust candidate.

Quick and dirty versus elegant and efficient.

Did some research. X11VNC is only capable of connecting to real displays. You'll need to install vncserver if you want a virtual X server with a different resolution.

If you're running off SD card this is trivial as doing:

Code:
sudo opkg update

sudo opkg install vncserver

Not quite as trivial.

In the preconfigured opkg feeds, vncserver does not seem to be available.

Could you provide a feed which contains vncserver?

I'd really like to try this method!

This, and the other method discussed in <a href=" thread about Developement on the Pandora</a>, involving the Xming X server on Windows and doing the entire thing with X instead of VNC, are my prefered methods.

Only that I didn't succeed with Xming so far, so I'd like to try vncserver now.

Thanks!

Daniel

How is the progress looking for this? Could there maybe be some newb instructions thrown together once this is worked out?

So far I only succeeded with XMing now, transmitting all X traffic from the Pandora to the PC, which works (but not fast enough over WiFi, will try en Ethernet connection next week).

The trick was to disable XMing's access control, which blocked X traffic from the outside, but for some reason it is enabled per default.

I have not had time to find and compile a VNC/X server so far.

Daniel

Did some research. X11VNC is only capable of connecting to real displays. You'll need to install vncserver if you want a virtual X server with a different resolution.If you're running off SD card this is trivial as doing:

sudo opkg update
vncpasswd
vncserver :1 -geomertry 1024x768
This will start a VNC/X session server on display 1 with a resolution of 1024x768. You could choose any resolution you want of course. There will be no window manager, but just an xterm to begin with. If you want a full XFCE experience. You'll need to edit the ~/.vnc/.xstartup file and include the line:
Code:
startxfce4 &
kill your current session and restart it to have a full dekstop.
Code:
vncserver -kill:1
vncserver :1 -geomertry 1024x768
While untested, I am almost 100% certain this will work. Have fun!
Just tried this and it keeps giving me this error

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package vncserver.

Why is this?

Because the opkg sources are b ot the angstrom ones anymore.

You can either add the angstrom repositories and risk damaging your system or use the vncserver that is already in the firmware.

Not sure if it has all the features you want though.

x11vnc does not serve my purposes. I tried adding Angstrom repos but they all fail to download (some invalid wget error)

This is for my phone running SuperZaxxon not for my P. I need to run a vnc server with a virtual display. x11vnc required a physical display fir some reason which is not what I want.

The Angstrom repos don't have a "vncserver" package that I can find. x11vnc is the only vnc package that I'm aware of. I don't know how to help you here except to suggest that you're building a franken-server from parts no one expected to go together, so you're likely going to encounter problems that no one will be able to help you with.

Lol, i get that part. I just need a vnc server that doesnt require a physical display. Looking on the beagleboard forums people said the best solution was

sudo opkg update

sudo vncserver geometry -800x480

The only problem is, i cant find any server that will work in SuperZaxxon other than x11vnc which doesnt work for what Im trying to do

You can compile one yourself. Try with code::blocks pnd.

How do I do this? I just started taking programming classes (assembly and java) and I havent gotten to the phase of compiling other people's code. Is it any different than compiling my own?

I'm still not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, exactly.

I don't have a physical display on my BeagleBoard but it still starts an X11 server with no problem into which I load x11vnc in order to actually use it.

What does it even mean to have a vnc server without an X11 server? Does vncserver contain its own X11 server, or is it starting one somehow?

Seems to me that you'd be better off trying to figure out how to start the X11 server and just connect x11vnc to that rather than vncserver, but perhaps your setup doesn't allow X11 to be run independently at all?

I guess he wants to display a higher res on the Pandora by opening a bigger display on the vncserver, then connect from the Pandora to this server and let the client scale it down again.

This gives you a higher res desktop but really should be laggy as hell.

I guess he wants to display a higher res on the Pandora by opening a bigger display on the vncserver, then connect from the Pandora to this server and let the client scale it down again.

This gives you a higher res desktop but really should be laggy as hell.
Um no not at all. That has nothing to do with what Im trying to accomplish
I'm still not sure what you're hoping to accomplish, exactly.I don't have a physical display on my BeagleBoard but it still starts an X11 server with no problem into which I load x11vnc in order to actually use it.What does it even mean to have a vnc server without an X11 server? Does vncserver contain its own X11 server, or is it starting one somehow?Seems to me that you'd be better off trying to figure out how to start the X11 server and just connect x11vnc to that rather than vncserver, but perhaps your setup doesn't allow X11 to be run independently at all?
So i did the normal "startx" command but it fucks up really bad because it cant connect to a physical display properly. I was hoping to run a virtual X server contained within a VNC server. As I understand it, things like the angstrom "vncserver" as well as others have this ability. x11vnc however does not. But, the only one I can get to install and run is x11vnc. Im looking for a command line server that works in SuperZaxxon. Sorry for not fully explaining this before.

So what is your usagescenario for this?

We could maybe help better if we know.

Edit: ok, just read the whole post ;)

Why not just do x forwarding?

Or ssh if you need commandline only?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is your usagescenario for this?

We could maybe help better if we know.

Edit: ok, just read the whole post ;)

Why not just do x forwarding?

Or ssh if you need commandline only?
Im already SSHing into it :D thats the only way for me to execute commands (yay for dropbear) but I need the ability to connect to the X server over VNC without a physical display being used by Superzaxxon

Cool stuff, but not really what I was looking for. Id really like it to be a VNC connection (SSH tunneling would work but Id rather not have to)

Back