Please Help A Newbie Virgin!

Yeah, but the Sharp Zaurus is BIG, unwieldy, and (I hate to say it) unreliable. While I really want linux powered devices to succeed, from what I've heard the Zaurus has a couple of problems. The OS it ships with is great for what it does, but has some fundamental limits (and is not undergoing continued development), wheras OpenZaurus is great but has LOTS of reliability issues.

I still wouldn't say no to one, but I'm a techie and a fiddler, AND I despise Windows in all its incarnations ... :)

Ruthie posted on Mar 31 2006 at 11:08 PM said:
Disadvantages - Unknown Linux OS, device in continuous development, needing to know what you're doing (or who to ask!!) to make it work.

This is really not a problem. You don't have to know Linux in order to make it work, really.
The use of the Gp2X is easy as long as you read carefully the help provided with each app'. But, of course, you also need to understand a bit more what you're doing (put files in a specific folder for exemple).
It's not like a NEs cartridge, plugNplay.

Palm Lifedrive.

Perhaps the best thing that fit your needs in term of text editing.
But the gaming experience is not as good as on Gp2X of course.

PSP.
Advantages - finished device, large user base. Movies (when converted), EMU's and ROM's available (<-look at the jargon I've learned in a few days!!!)
Disadvantages. Cost. Buying into the big corporate product. Being designed for cutting-edge games, which is not my interest.

It's a nice handled, a bit expensive. But text editing on this is as complicated as on Gp2X.
For emulation, it's a bit more tricky than on Gp2X because of the firmware issue and/or the "exploit" you'll have to setup .(a new jargon's word, niiice ;) )
But you still can play commercial games. Even if there's a few of them that are really interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thank you everyone for your input and advice.

I've taken the plunge, and ordered a GP2X.
After spending much too much time researching the different options over the past few days, I've concluded that nothing is exactly what I initially wanted.
But I think I will use more of the features of the GP2X than of the other possibilities.

Whatever I choose, I'm going to have to learn new things to use it, and learning Linux will be interesting and useful.

I just hope I don't get into too much trouble, and have to bother people here too much to sort me out!

Back