Release PNDManager

May I ask what the setup looks like where you're using PNDManager with a mouse? Are you changing this mouse visibility setting frequently / would you like to change it (more) frequently?
I don't use PNDManager in full screen mode, (ever) and when I'm using the Pandora directly I tend to use the nubs as mouse pointer more than the touchscreen. When I have the Pandora hooked up to my primary machine I use Synergy to share the mouse across both devices. Either way I want to be able to see the mouse pointer while it's in the PNDManager window.

While it's true that I don't have any reason to adjust this setting now that it's set, it just seems to me that since there is now a settings screen it makes sense to make this very useful option configurable through it, especially since it is turned off by default.

(I've had occasions where I've updated it [PNDManager, remark Christoph.Krn], and restarted it but it had failed to unmount cleanly so I was still actually running the old version after the restart)
...irrespective of whether or not PNDManager should have its running version number easily accessible somewhere, should it really be up to the user to verify that such a hiccup has not occurred?
What exactly are you suggesting? That PNDManger should check it's own version number against the installed version stored in the database and throw up a warning if they don't match? That strikes me as being overkill for what would be at most an occasional issue. If not that, how could anyone other than the user be in a position to do so?
- Neelix

I have noticed that the new settings screen behaves like it's one of the tabs (along the bottom middle) but doesn't have its own tab which is a little inconsistent, it should probably have its own tab or only allow f9 or the settings icon to invoke the settings menu.

Apart from that I like the new settings feature

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are you suggesting? That PNDManger should check it's own version number [...]
I can think of a number of ways that B-ZaR could handle this issue, such as declaring it a non-issue, or declaring it to be outside of the scope of what PNDManager should do, or re-enabling the welcome screen with every update, or displaying the version number somewhere in an existing view (at the bottom of the settings?).
So, at this time I'm not making any suggestions, just opening a public discussion about this specific point. Comparing numbers is something that computers are exceptionally good at compared to humans, would you legitimately want to have the responsibility of being able to do this yourself whenever you're not sure whether the restarting has worked properly?

I have noticed that the new settings screen behaves like it's one of the tabs (along the bottom middle) but doesn't have its own tab which is a little inconsistent, it should probably have its own tab or only allow f9 or the settings icon to invoke the settings menu.

Apart from that I like the new settings feature
That's a bug. It should not be accessible with L/R. It's a remnant of a previous implementation :)

What exactly are you suggesting? That PNDManger should check it's own version number [...]
I can think of a number of ways that B-ZaR could handle this issue, such as declaring it a non-issue, or declaring it to be outside of the scope of what PNDManager should do, or re-enabling the welcome screen with every update, or displaying the version number somewhere in an existing view (at the bottom of the settings?).
Fair enough. My current preference would be to have the version number displayed at the top of the config screen.

So, at this time I'm not making any suggestions, just opening a public discussion about this specific point. Comparing numbers is something that computers are exceptionally good at compared to humans, would you legitimately want to have the responsibility of being able to do this yourself whenever you're not sure whether the restarting has worked properly?
I spent 10 years offering technical support over the phone, so if something isn't doing what I expect I tend to try to figure it out for myself first. It also means that the concept of not being able to easily check what version of a program I am running seems wrong to me.

- Neelix

Hi a little Request from me,when i want to update all PNDs from my SD Card,then will PNDManager ever download 4 PNDs in one Strike and that is too much for my 130kbyte/s Wlan connection.

Is there a Way to update all the PND automatic but only one and when it finish then the next?

I dont want to choose every PND manual for updating.

Maybe you have a Way/Solution for that ;)

Edit: Or can you port PNDManager to the PC for Updating Pandora SD Cards?

That would help much too ;)

There's a setting for that in settings.cfg (in appdata) called "maxDownloads". It defaults to 4, but you can set it to whatever you like.

PNDManager is easily enough compiled for Linux and works pretty much out of the box, but I'm 99.9% certain it won't ever work on windows or OS X.

I have paid no attention to making it work on anything but desktop linux and pandora and I'm 99.9% certain I or Cloudef or someone else whose code is a part of it has used somthing linux-specific :)

The frontend code probably would mostly work since it's all Qt.

A feature that would be very cool to me would be a way to tag an app as "want to download" on the repo website, and then have PND manager ask if you'd like to install it on the next boot up. Either that or "favorites" functionality so you can remind yourself of software that you would like to try at a later point.

I know this would have to be added to the repo site first, but then if PND manager could somehow later integrate it, I think that would be very cool.

There's a setting for that in settings.cfg (in appdata) called "maxDownloads". It defaults to 4, but you can set it to whatever you like.

PNDManager is easily enough compiled for Linux and works pretty much out of the box, but I'm 99.9% certain it won't ever work on windows or OS X.
Thx for that "maxdownloads" Setting,that help good ^_^

I try to compile it here on my YLMF OS 3.0 (Ubuntu 10.04 based) ^_^

Thx for the Manual to compile with MVN on the Git :rolleyes:

I have paid no attention to making it work on anything but desktop linux and pandora and I'm 99.9% certain I or Cloudef or someone else whose code is a part of it has used somthing linux-specific :)

The frontend code probably would mostly work since it's all Qt.
libpndman, even though very very ugly, works on at least on windows and linux, don't know about mac.

If there's some slight activity on here, any chance of an "Ignore future updates" option you can apply to certain apps? I'm sure it's been mentioned before by somebody else, but I'll just poke a little ;)

The activity has mostly been quickish UI stuff and bug fixes. I'd rather concentrate my bigger development efforts elsewhere.

If there's some slight activity on here, any chance of an "Ignore future updates" option you can apply to certain apps? I'm sure it's been mentioned before by somebody else, but I'll just poke a little ;)
That would be bloody marvellous. There's a few PNDs now cluttering my "To Update" list that I wish weren't there - I can no longer just hit the Y Button to update all the apps because then it updates the ones I don't want updated too. Very annoying.

D.

Years have passed, technologies have changed globally, interfaces for online stores are now common practices for every device, interfaces designed by full teams of developers, psychologist and scientists that tried to create a good, easy and useful service to get the job done...

... but still, I find PNDManager the best designed store manager ever made... it's just so damn fast, responsive, easy to use and nice to the eyes...

The smart use of standardized icons, the disposition of the many options, the way to navigate it in different kind of ways but still all optimized for the device input systems, is just great...
And as a plus the Milkyhelper as a backbone of the interface, that can be used standalone to manage stuff directly from the terminal...

I will not list all the people directly involved in the project (and the web store itself) just because I could easily forget to mention some of them, but thanks to all for this awesome achievement that is easily passing the test of time !!

... but still, I find PNDManager the best designed store manager ever made... it's just so damn fast, responsive, easy to use and nice to the eyes...
I can second that. Haven't launched it for years now (I only use the Pandora for playing 2-3 retro games every now and then). But ... is the feed PNDManager uses still maintained? I'm browsing through the forums here - again: after years - and see some very interesting software announcements. Would be cool to find them in PNDManager.

Daniel

Indeed, installed some software this week. Works totally fine.

Back