Pnds not showing up

cbernard

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm a new pandora owner and over the last couple of days I've been playing around with it. I've got one issue as well as a question.

Issue: I downloaded a bunch of pnds from the repository and put them on an sd card, and loaded it into my pandora. Some of the pnds work properly, but most of them don't even do anything when I run them. If someone could tell me how to get these working then it would be very appreciated.

And here's my question. When I was first booting up the pandora, it asked me what sort of processor speed I wanted to use. I was pretty sure, since I've got the 600MHz pandora, that I needed to use either the 500 option or the 600 option. The 600 option said that it would decrease the life of my cpu, though, so that one scared me. I ended up picking the 500 MHz option. Well, I was playing some N64 games, and they worked pretty well (except for some weird graphics glitching), but they were just a little slow, and I thought that the extra 100 MHz would make a difference. Is it safe to run the processor at that speed?

And here's my question. When I was first booting up the pandora, it asked me what sort of processor speed I wanted to use. I was pretty sure, since I've got the 600MHz pandora, that I needed to use either the 500 option or the 600 option. The 600 option said that it would decrease the life of my cpu, though, so that one scared me. I ended up picking the 500 MHz option. Well, I was playing some N64 games, and they worked pretty well (except for some weird graphics glitching), but they were just a little slow, and I thought that the extra 100 MHz would make a difference. Is it safe to run the processor at that speed?

I think it's a bug that it says 600 MHz shortens the liftime of your.

You can easily clock up to 600 MHz. Everyone does it.

It's also no problem to overclock up to 800 MHz.

If you want to go higher you have to icnrease the opp settings.

Default is opp3 and everything that runns with opp3 is OK.

Opp 4 and 5 will decrease lifetime form your PCB.

You may also do this if you need it for some stuff like N64. Simply know it will shorten lifetime to 20%.

So if you use it only for some games it souldn't be a big problem. I do it, too.

As said, 800 doesn't need to overvolt (increase opp settings) and doesn't cause harm to your Pandora.

If you want to Play N64 I advice you, to clock up to 800 MHz. It's much better.

I heard somewhere that over-clocking at stock voltage also damaged CPUs

Am I correct that this is wrong?

I heard somewhere that over-clocking at stock voltage also damaged CPUs

Am I correct that this is wrong?

Yeah instead of your CPU lasting 30 years, you may only get 25. Honestly no matter what your doing overclocking with or without over-volting your CPU will last longer than the usefulness of the device.

Issue: I downloaded a bunch of pnds from the repository and put them on an sd card, and loaded it into my pandora. Some of the pnds work properly, but most of them don't even do anything when I run them. If someone could tell me how to get these working then it would be very appreciated.

Presumably, given that some programs have worked, you have created the correct folder structure on the card - but when you say some pnds don't do anything when you 'run' them, it's not entirely clear whether you are trying to actually run/execute the actual pnd?

If the pnd is in pandora/apps or in pandora/desktop then it's program icon should appear on the desktop, and you launch that. If the pnd is in pandora/menu then it will appear in it's category (game, emulators, multimedia etc) in the menu (pandora button or icon on bottom left of the desktop) and you launch it from there.

If the pnd is correctly located, and correctly launched but fails, it might be one of many that requires additional files (such as Bios or game data). Many of these need to be launched once so that they create their own folder in pandora/appdata (where essential files then go) but won't actually run until the additional files they cannot be distributed with are added. Typically this will be covered in their help/readme/documentation file, or the relevant thread in the Software section of this forum.

If you mention which pnds are behaving this way someone will probably recognise the issue instantly ;)

Did you try to redownload them or have you compared the size of the downloaded pnds with the size that is mentioned on the repo?

Maybe some files got corrupted while downloading.

Did you try to redownload them or have you compared the size of the downloaded pnds with the size that is mentioned on the repo?

Maybe some files got corrupted while downloading.

Thank you, this was the problem. Now they are working properly!

What I'm gathering from this thread is that running the CPU at 600 MHz is vaguely harmful but not really a problem, so I'm going to give it a try.

You can always check /tmp/pndrun_[appname].out to see what happened when running a PND. These files are also often useful for PND authors to find the cause of the problem/bug.

You can run as fast as you can as long as you don't overvolt (change opp level to higher than 3) there should be no harm to the cpu.

Back