Beta Pndstore

what about an actual ignore list?

my only reference is the package manager for Arch Linux:
http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html

but basically a list where you can place directories, as the user, you don't want PNDstore to check for pnds... Would that be hard to code in? It'd be a feature that whoever wanted to use it could basically turn on by adding the dirs they wanted and turn off by removing them (or going into the PNDstore config file and commenting them out as they see fit... for those real linux purists :p )...

EDIT: OOOORRRRR, you could have a first run wizard that asks which dirs to check for pnds (either absolute path, or general path that PNDstore would check the subdirectories of... either way would be fine)... Maybe overkill, but I think it would be a cool feature...

Oh man, this is really, really neat. I love the way it is now - makes a lot of things so much easier. With that said, there are some improvements that could be made:

1. The ability to scroll around with the d-pad as well as the pgup/pgdown buttons (X and Y). Scrolling with the mouse isn't really that comfortable

2. For some reason, after I update something or delete something, it scrolls all the way back to near the top of the list. Annoying.

3. The ability to sort by freedesktop categories, much as milkshake's repo does, would be great. I have hundreds of PNDs, so it would be nice if I could sort them by more than just their names.

4. The ability to sort by the type of icon on the left (by clicking on that blank square on the top left above that column) so that I can see at a glance all the apps that aren't updated.

5. The option to choose which ones to update and which ones not to. Some updates (for example, Battle of Wesnoth) take a long time, and I might not want to do them yet. Or maybe I like the older version of an app that I have. This could be done by having checkboxes in that window after you click "upgrade packages", allowing you to uncheck some items.

5b. The option to check off several different apps at once in the main list before clicking install, so I don't have to do them one at a time. In other words, a column of checkboxes!

Thanks again, Tempel!

Esn said:
1. The ability to scroll around with the d-pad as well as the pgup/pgdown buttons (X and Y). Scrolling with the mouse isn't really that comfortable
It should be able to do this already. As long as the focus is on the list of packages (which is where it defaults), dpad and buttons should navigate it like normal. On my home computer, arrow keys and page up/down do this, so I thought they would on Pandora; just make sure the focus is in the right place. Let me know if it's not working this way.

Esn said:
2. For some reason, after I update something or delete something, it scrolls all the way back to near the top of the list. Annoying.
I'm sure there's something I can do about this, but I'm not sure what yet. It's on my list now, thanks.

And all your other suggestions are already in the pipeline. Don't hold your breath, cause I'm learning as I'm going, but I intend to make them happen eventually. Thanks for the feedback :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempel said:
Esn said:
It should be able to do this already. As long as the focus is on the list of packages (which is where it defaults), dpad and buttons should navigate it like normal. On my home computer, arrow keys and page up/down do this, so I thought they would on Pandora; just make sure the focus is in the right place. Let me know if it's not working this way.
Sorry Tempel, you were right. It does work.

I ran pnd-store and it says there was an update for itself. But after the update I ran it again but I didn't get a GUI... was I supposed to get a gui?

You're saying that you had version 0.1 (using zenity popups), and it tried to upgrade to version 0.2.2, but after that you're still getting zenity? Does the upgrade list still show PNDstore as having an upgrade available? If it does, try upgrading it again, then post the contents of /tmp/pndrun_pndstore.out. According to tests on my home computer, it should be able to upgrade itself, but it might be different on a Pandora. If it is, I'd like to fix that quickly.

mine seemed to upgrade itself ok, from what i can tell.... threaded downloading would be nice though... it's a bit painful to use if I don't have anything else to do at the time... considered using aria2 for downloading?

Tempel said:
You're saying that you had version 0.1 (using zenity popups), and it tried to upgrade to version 0.2.2, but after that you're still getting zenity? Does the upgrade list still show PNDstore as having an upgrade available? If it does, try upgrading it again, then post the contents of /tmp/pndrun_pndstore.out. According to tests on my home computer, it should be able to upgrade itself, but it might be different on a Pandora. If it is, I'd like to fix that quickly.

Right I was on 0.1 I ran the update and it found 2 updates (one for itself to 2.2) It updated sucessfully and quit.

I went to the menu and ran it again and it looked the same to me (with just the popup notifications) I redownloaded the available package lists and ran the check to see what could be updated. It said no updates were available.

Today I fired it up again and I have a GUI!

Any chance you could add a column for the PND icons?
I have a ton of other suggestions but I figure you are probably going to do them anyway
;)

I've been hoping for a repo system, and I'm just amazed by the spontaneity and quality of the milkshake's repo and your pndstore. I really hope these projects continue to make great progress, because they're just what the Pandora has been needing!

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
what about an actual ignore list?

my only reference is the package manager for Arch Linux:
http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html

but basically a list where you can place directories, as the user, you don't want PNDstore to check for pnds... Would that be hard to code in? It'd be a feature that whoever wanted to use it could basically turn on by adding the dirs they wanted and turn off by removing them (or going into the PNDstore config file and commenting them out as they see fit... for those real linux purists :p )...

EDIT: OOOORRRRR, you could have a first run wizard that asks which dirs to check for pnds (either absolute path, or general path that PNDstore would check the subdirectories of... either way would be fine)... Maybe overkill, but I think it would be a cool feature...

I like the idea of an ignore list, but for individual PND's. For example, maybe when the upgrade packages list comes up, there can be two check boxes for each PND. The first check box is for if the PND should be upgraded, and it is checked by default. The second check box is for if the PND should be ignored. If this is (or has been checked) then the first check box will NOT be checked by default. Maybe all PND's on NAND should be ignored by default (on first run) until the user unchecks the ignore box for a specific PND.

I tend to think Pndstore should handle all PND's on the system if the user desires. Would it currently be able to actually upgrade packages on NAND if available, or would it need to be run with sudo/as superuser?

interesting idea as far as two checkboxes goes keeps it simple for the gui-only/gui-preferred users, which is cool. But I think on the back end, there should be a way to do a low-level ignore that overrides the gui-based one... a "critical ignore" if you will... the first thing it makes me think of is a statement made a while back by ED to me about updating packages via opkg from the Angstrom repo... simply put, he said, DON'T do a system upgrade... as it will basically render the OS useless for Pandora functionality. Doubt such a thing is a worry about PNDs, but to have the ability is pretty important... examples would be PNDs that are stable which spend a lot of time in beta before the next release. Some people may only want to upgrade when stable (an automated way of keeping track of that would be cool, but not necessary)... I'm basically just snowballing previous ideas, so if I'm way off in left field, let me know, I'll happily jog back to the middle with no issues. :p

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
interesting idea as far as two checkboxes goes keeps it simple for the gui-only/gui-preferred users, which is cool. But I think on the back end, there should be a way to do a low-level ignore that overrides the gui-based one... a "critical ignore" if you will... the first thing it makes me think of is a statement made a while back by ED to me about updating packages via opkg from the Angstrom repo... simply put, he said, DON'T do a system upgrade... as it will basically render the OS useless for Pandora functionality. Doubt such a thing is a worry about PNDs, but to have the ability is pretty important... examples would be PNDs that are stable which spend a lot of time in beta before the next release. Some people may only want to upgrade when stable (an automated way of keeping track of that would be cool, but not necessary)... I'm basically just snowballing previous ideas, so if I'm way off in left field, let me know, I'll happily jog back to the middle with no issues. :p

I think you're right. Anything that's potentially dangerous should require more than an obvious check box to reveal.

iI dont think the latest version is working. its been more than a week and no updates. so i deleted the appdata folder and then updated the lists... nothing happened. so I dont think that that feature is working :(

I saw an update maybe 3 days ago, but I don't recall what it was... I think I'm gonna hold of on using it PNDstore for more than update notification (when that's fixed, if broken) as the lack of multi-threaded downloading makes installing anything a real time consumer... had a 13MB PND last week that took more than a few hours to download... I love the program, but that is a killer for me... also, it would be nice to have maybe a tooltip with a program description... I may know what it is by name because I looked it up previously... but I'd rather not have to look up exactly what each new program is by opening up a browser, navigating to r.o.o or the openhandhelds page, THEN deciding whether I want it or not...

HackModford: What's not working? A week with no upgrades doesn't seem all that strange to me. Bugs are certainly possible, but isn't it possible that simply none of your PNDs have been updated? But if you find one that hasn't been updated properly, please do let me know.

CPU: I've been making some progress on threading, but it's a bit of a slog; 0.3 beta will come eventually. But threading won't improve download speeds at all. A 13MB file taking a few hours to download sounds more like WiFi trouble. Did it actually complete after a few hours, or did you just kill it? I'll make sure to include a cancel button in the next version, so any tripped-up downloads like that can be easily restarted. And yes, I know program information beyond title and version is important, but man, this GUI making stuff is just not exciting. Still, everything in time. Or faster if there are ever any volunteers to help :D .

I'm highly sure the issue is with the threading (or something with how PNDstore downloads) because downloading via a browser is nowhere near as slow... and I usually always wait out the download to see how long it will take and let it do what it's doing (usually distract myself with KETM... still can't get past level 4... made it to the beginning once and died within 30 seconds! :p)

I've done PKGBUILDing over at Arch Linux, so I hear what you're saying (in a general sense)... coding in itself is not really fun unless you really think it is... I mostly code out of necessity ("this isn't working right, let's hack it" or "this hasn't been ported/updated, let's hack it") but almost always "give back" to the community I'm a part of where the hacking/coding would benefit. (if I COULD make GUIs at this point, I have one I'd really love to make, but don't wanna spread the word about it too much because I don't want someone to beat me to it... :p)

BTW, I figure the tooltip option would be the best way to go due to screen real estate... limits having to scroll left/right for reading descriptions (plus some may be a few lines long) so a tooltip with a char limit per line and word wrapping would be ideal (if possible without killing yourself in the process :p), but do what you can with the time and abilities you have. :D

Tempel said:
HackModford: What's not working? A week with no upgrades doesn't seem all that strange to me. Bugs are certainly possible, but isn't it possible that simply none of your PNDs have been updated?

I know... but I had a feeling the lists weren't updating... so I deleted the appdata folder for pndstore (to make a fresh install)

When I start pndstore I just get a blank list (because there's no DB anymore)

I click "update lists" but nothing ever happens, the list doesn't get updated.

Which makes me think that all this time I've been using it I've just had the old data from before this version.

I should be able to repopulate my app lists but I just have a blank list now...

Make sense?

Oh, I see! Yes, that's actually a problem. I assume that you're not seeing any warnings pop up after updating lists, right? In that case, you might be getting some sort of internal error. Could you please try running an update again, then pasting up the contents of /tmp/pndrun_pndstore0.2.2.0.out? Any errors should show up there, which should give me a good idea of what's going wrong (and how I can fix it).

Back