Podcast Software for Windows

Ian J

Advanced Member
I'm hoping some can help with this as I'm an avid podcast listener and it looks like feedburner have changed something as my current software (which is no longer in development) works.

My current software of choice PodPuppy hasn't been in development for a number of years.

The one thing it did that I couldn't find on any other downloader was tokens to rename the files.

As I listen to so many podcasts I like to listen to them in order and PP allowed me to rename the files with Year Month Date so that they were sorted on my player.

%Y %M %D - Fred Bloggs Podcast

I've never seen any other downloader that allows this.

Does anyone know of one?

I've looked at gPodder but it requires too much other software installing to work for my liking.

Just goes to show

After contacting the relevant site about their feeds and getting the "it's something your end not ours" I went to using a basic feedreader and downloading the podcasts manually.

Today I decided to try my original software, would you believe it my feeds are working again.

I emailed the site to let them know it was working again and they replied that after my email they checked and there was an error at Apple with their data, they did apologise for not getting back to me.

Please give PodSilo by MollieSoft a try - it is very good at assigned reasonable file names to episodes. In fact, it uses YYYYMMDD_title as the name. Also provides flexible schedule for downloads, allows you to rename feed folders, has a nice looking UI, and provides episode cleanup rules you can specify by feed. It's at www (dot) molliesoft (dot) com (slash) podsilo.

Looks like the sort of thing I'm after, can I ask what relationship you have to MollieSoft?

FWIW, I use Radio Downloader for downloading podcasts over RSS. It allows you to configure exactly what filenames to use using various fields.

The only gotchas I've found with it so far are that it'll only let you download things up to two weeks old (but that's documented, so it was my fault to expect it to be able to download old stuff), and also that it doesn't seem to download new content that's published while it's running - even though it can see it on the subscriptions tab. But it also doesn't do anything for the first minute or so after you launch it, so if you know something's come down you're best off quitting it and relaunching it then waiting for it to start.

Back