"- Political Discussion Are Prohibited, As Is Any Discussion On R

EvilDragon posted on Feb 21 2007 at 02:49 AM said:
So we try to keep the time for moderating the boards as low as possible.
This is why these rules exist. In my opinion, no major problem. Remember that this is a board to discuss about gp2x and the GP32, if you want to discuss about religious or other "dangerous" stuff, well, go to a board which DOES discuss about these topics.
This is the "off topic" section. You may as well scrap it altogether if you are gonna start severely limiting what off-topic things we can talk about.

But if you did that, it would be a sad day, because this section is what keeps a high number of old users visiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good reply, thanks for taking the time to do so.

Yes, I AM for free and open speech. Discussion about bannings however are NOT possible in my opinion at a board with over 10.000 members. Did you think about what would happen if 10.000 members start discussing about a ban for somebody? It might most probably lead into a flame war. Which would lead more members to request bans for other flaming members and go into a vicious circle and permanent talking about bannings... instead of the primary goal of this board: Discussing about the gp2x and the GP32.

I understand that. I don't mean to suggest that banning should be a group-approved democratic affair... some kind of voting-off-the-island process. I'm more for publicizing the whole process, so that other members know what's going on and that there is a clear justification for the banning. I'm sure that there often is a good reason. Epicenter was one obvious candidate. But with the others... it's not always so obvious, and that's where you mods would benefit by letting us in on your decision-making processes that involve our friends and peers. Rational members would support you with supporting evidence.

However, about the rules (like political or religious discussions are not allowed):
Well, that's simply a moderating problems.
Topics like these have to be watched VERY carefully. The often lead into flamewars, which need to be moderated. But this is no commercial or professional board here.
We mods do that in our SPARE TIME! We don't get any money here (like the pspupdates.com guys).
So we try to keep the time for moderating the boards as low as possible.
This is why these rules exist. In my opinion, no major problem. Remember that this is a board to discuss about gp2x and the GP32, if you want to discuss about religious or other "dangerous" stuff, well, go to a board which DOES discuss about these topics.

I'd understand that better if we were faced with a large number of controversial topics. However, it seems that we only have one controversial topic ongoing at any given time. I understand that our mods have their own lives. Given that, wouldn't it be easier just to ignore controversial topics unless somebody complains about abuse? Just don't worry about it, we're mostly adults here.

One of the hardest things at a big board is to hold a good balance in moderation.
You can NEVER satisfy every board member. So whatever we do, there will always be a lot of guys disagreeing with us.

The only possible solution in my opinion is: Work together. We mods try to do our best. And you guys try to NOT open a topic or start a discussion about EVERY decision we take, mmkay?
Otherwise, these boards will soon end into a 'Discussions-about-mod-decisions-board' insterad of a board about the gp2x and gp32...

I understand all of that and agree. But, at least make us aware of the important internal processes and you'll always have the support of the members of this board who are fair-minded and reasonable. When controversial decisions are made behind the scenes, you can imagine how that might upset those of who really haven't been included in what's going on.

Thanks again, ED. I appreciate your candid and open reply.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 21 2007 at 03:58 AM said:
ED, these topics usually do get reported by somebody* when they get out of hand, right? You guys also rely on us, as it's obvious that you cannot be everywhere all the time.

Geez, I always forget that we have the reporting function...
You're right, MOST of the stuff is being reported.

However: I don't know how exactly the laws in Poland are (where the boards are located).
In Germany, you need to be VERY careful. EACH post at a board can get you sued.
In Germany, it's not enough to just DELETE those threads. You're guilty when it happens.
So let's say someboy posts some ROM link into a german board, you need 10 minutes to remove it and within these ten minutes Nintendo saves evidence of that links and sues you - they win.

This might be a reason here, too, but as said, I can't say it for sure, only hando can. But he usually has his reasons for the rules.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 21 2007 at 03:07 AM said:
ED, these topics usually do get reported by somebody* when they get out of hand, right? You guys also rely on us, as it's obvious that you cannot be everywhere all the time.

However: I don't know how exactly the laws in Poland are (where the boards are located).
In Germany, it's not enough to just DELETE those threads. You're guilty when it happens.
So let's say someboy posts some ROM link into a german board, you need 10 minutes to remove it and within these ten minutes Nintendo saves evidence of that links and sues you - they win.

This might be a reason here, too, but as said, I can't say it for sure, only hando can. But he usually has his reasons for the rules.
So Hando is gonna get sued because some people on his board decide to have a discussion about evolution?

I can see you are trying, but this really is a case of mods taking unnecessary action without justification, and of a set of rules which are killing this section, and therefore stopping non-GP2X users from visiting.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 21 2007 at 02:49 AM said:
strict mods... I barely close any threads (and if I do, I leave a reason why, if it isn't obvious)... however, a lot of guys actually told me I should be more strict.

However, about the rules (like political or religious discussions are not allowed):
Well, that's simply a moderating problems.
Topics like these have to be watched VERY carefully. The often lead into flamewars, which need to be moderated. But this is no commercial or professional board here.

I don't know. ANY topic can end up in a flame war. The many PSP vs GP2X threads aren't closed and those often end up in a flame war.

I guess in off topic I believe it should be a bit more liberal. If you don't like to read about religeon/politics go to a different section of the board. It is only a click away. Sometimes it is interesting to see the different views especially since the board is so diverse with many different countries represented here. That is just me though.

As far as bannings and suspensions, I think the offending member should be warned first before instantly banned/suspended unless it is WAY over the top or dangerous like posting a warez-romz link. I think a simple "your post is offensive... continue and you will be banned/suspended, *you have been warned*" or something to that effect would be appropriate. If they continue flamming then suspend them.

Just my opinion for what it is or isn't worth

I understand that. I don't mean to suggest that banning should be a group-approved democratic affair... some kind of voting-off-the-island process. I'm more for publicizing the whole process, so that other members know what's going on and that there is a clear justification for the banning. I'm sure that there often is a good reason. Epicenter was one obvious candidate. But with the others... it's not always so obvious, and that's where you mods would benefit by letting us in on your decision-making processes that involve our friends and peers. Rational members would support you with supporting evidence.

Ah, you mean: A read-only thread where make a public statement why that happened?
Well, no problem with me (except for that it does mean more work ;))
But that's up to hando.

I'd understand that better if we were faced with a large number of controversial topics. However, it seems that we only have one controversial topic ongoing at any given time. I understand that our mods have their own lives. Given that, wouldn't it be easier just to ignore controversial topics unless somebody complains about abuse? Just don't worry about it, we're mostly adults here.

I mostly agree, as I'm know to only close if the topics REALLY need closing.
However, as stated above, I don't know if this can lead to some law problems. The forums could be shut down because of something like this (which is kinda dumb that the boards would go down because of some offtopic stuff) and worse: hando might be involved into an ugly lawsuit, which can easily destroy one persons life... which is the LEAST I want.

Otherwise, these boards will soon end into a 'Discussions-about-mod-decisions-board' insterad of a board about the gp2x and gp32...
I understand all of that and agree. But, at least make us aware of the important internal processes and you'll always have the support of the members of this board who are fair-minded and reasonable. When controversial decisions are made behind the scenes, you can imagine how that might upset those of who really haven't been included in what's going on.

Well, don't think it's that much we're discussing there. The only stuff we were discussing was Epicenter, daclassicgamingmaster, AOF and now Shikaku.
That's mostly it. Oh, and how to fight those spamming accounts.
However, some open information about important decisions might be a good idea, yes.

Thanks again, ED. I appreciate your candid and open reply.

Well - we all are here for the same reason: Having fun.
I still think the major problem here is that English is not everyones native language. I think we have a lot of misunderstandings here which lead to flaming.

However, it's 4:15am, I really need to go to bed as I have to work tomorrow... let's hope to find some good solution together soon.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 20 2007 at 10:07 PM said:

Well now, we're talking about illegal ROM links, which aren't allowed (and rightfully so), vs. controversial discussion. The latter of course cannot get you sued.

You're one of the most reasonable and kind individuals here. I cant speak for everyone, but I personally don't look at you as a mod, but an admin. The site would surely fall apart if you were not around- can we say that for any of the other moderators?

Evildragon, even you know the new rules are just borderline asinine. To restrict types of discussions just doesn't make sense. I understand you guys are in a position here, and God knows it must be difficult for you all as well as us as regular members. The unfortunate incidence here is that individuals must be dealt with on an individual basis. Either that, or this will become only a place to check for Zod's recent GpSP update, or Reesy's snes emu. I don't want to only come have a browse for updates, I really like this place and the people in it. Something needs to change to satisfy both parties here.

The world is filled with political debate. Trying to silence it here only makes this board seem stifling. Sort of like a private school which trys to protect you from the real world.

Thanks for reading.

declaration posted on Feb 21 2007 at 04:11 AM said:
So Hando is gonna get sued because some people on his board decide to have a discussion about evolution?

As said, I don't know how's the law in Poland, but it certainly happened a few times in Germany, yes.
Not about evolution, only, if they post some illegal stuff in the topic.

I can see you are trying, but this really is a case of mods taking unnecessary action without justification, and of a set of rules which are killing this section, and therefore stopping non-GP2X users from visiting.

Well, I agree with the justifications. With each ban we give (perm or temp), there's a PM to user-field which I always fill out.
I don't know if this does work or not though... I hope it does.
But every action does have a reason, and that should be stated to the user.

About the non-GP2X-users:
Well... it's a gp2x board. We have some offtopic area as most gp2x users also would like to discuss about something else
However, I'm not sure why non-gp2x users should come here...? There are thousands of boards out there, this here is about the gp2x and GP32, why should anybody who's not interested in these machines come here...?

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 20 2007 at 10:26 PM said:
Well... it's a gp2x board. We have some offtopic area as most gp2x users also would like to discuss about something else
However, I'm not sure why non-gp2x users should come here...? There are thousands of boards out there, this here is about the gp2x and GP32, why should anybody who's not interested in these machines come here...?
Heh, that's a completely valid question. Perhaps they thought of getting a gamepark console, decided not to, but enjoyed the community? Im not sure myself, but it does happen quite a bit.

ED, perhaps you didn't see the evolution thread? To be honest, I've never seen a more civilized controversial topic. There was ZERO flaming going on. It was just a place to pick people's brains and get opinions. Evolution is a fascinating subject.

It was closed. The mod cited "8 pages of bollocks is enough". Something to that effect. That is the kinda thing that upsets people. And it shouldn't be that threads are closed because the person gets tired of it.

EvilDragon posted on Feb 21 2007 at 03:07 AM said:

What can they sue you for (other than warez obviously)? Can they sue for political/religeous posts? I am just curious.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 21 2007 at 04:19 AM said:
Well now, we're talking about illegal ROM links, which aren't allowed (and rightfully so), vs. controversial discussion. The latter of course cannot get you sued.

It depends. Let there be some political or religious discrimination or simply post that Hitler is great and this can get you sued in Germany.

Evildragon, even you know the new rules are just borderline asinine. To restrict types of discussions just doesn't make sense. I understand you guys are in a position here, and God knows it must be difficult for you all as well as us as regular members. The unfortunate incidence here is that individuals must be dealt with on an individual basis. Either that, or this will become only a place to check for Zod's recent GpSP update, or Reesy's snes emu. I don't want to only come have a browse for updates, I really like this place and the people in it. Something needs to change to satisfy both parties here.

Well, I have to admit, I didn't know that the rules changed... I never even read the old ones ;)
I don't have that much time nowadays (I'm afraid).

But I do agree that we have to find a solution here. But that's not that easy.
And I'm just a mod, like the other mods. We have to find the solution together, I can't make any decisions for them (and I don't want to). I can only make suggestions.

Heh, and I could scare you all... I could... CLOSE DOWN THE ARCHIVE... harharhar... ;)
Well, that was offtopic... but you should never lose humour.

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Feb 20 2007 at 10:32 PM said:
It depends. Let there be some political or religious discrimination or simply post that Hitler is great and this can get you sued in Germany.
I've reported one person specifically who keeps voicing his opinion on purification. He urged people to join a neo-nazi forum at one point.

I don't tolerate that crap. As a Jew it strikes a special nerve with me.

The point is, those people who praise Hitler and post such mindless drivel shouldn't be around here. Plain and Simple.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep at 10:40. It's pretty late! ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 21 2007 at 03:19 AM said:
I understand you guys are in a position here, and God knows it must be difficult for you all as well as us as regular members.

You said "God" knows :eek: That is religious! BAN! CLOSE!

Just kidding, couldn't resist :p

EvilDragon posted on Feb 21 2007 at 03:26 AM said:
I kinda meant people who first came to this site because of the GP32 or GP2X but no longer own either one. People like me, who used the forums because I had a GP32, but sold it. But because of "off-topic" here, I have kept on visiting and even ended up with a GP2X!

There are lots of people who originally joined these forums because they were interested in either machine, but now visit just for 'off-topic'. I think that's nice, and is definitely something which held the community together in the final days of the GP32. I think even certain mods have neither a GP2x or GP32 anymore.

But an off-topic which is set up to stifle interesting discussion will quickly die.

i think that maybe we shouldnt be allowed to discuss religion and stuff like that coz theres no point. Same with that one about evolution i felt like i was all alone in that one :( and that thread wasnt about evolution to begin with.

CABBAGES posted on Feb 21 2007 at 08:52 AM said:
i think that maybe we shouldnt be allowed to discuss religion and stuff like that coz theres no point. Same with that one about evolution i felt like i was all alone in that one :( and that thread wasnt about evolution to begin with.
you were not alone. i agreed with you to some extent, but not the full 9 yards

@topic
#Poem by Martin Niemöller#

When the ...... came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

CABBAGES posted on Feb 21 2007 at 07:52 AM said:
i think that maybe we shouldnt be allowed to discuss religion and stuff like that coz theres no point. Same with that one about evolution i felt like i was all alone in that one :(
You disagreed with some people, so you'd have that topic of conversation banned just because you didn't 'win'?

I am sure with a disclaimer stating that anything stated on these boards by the members is not representative of the board owners would settle the legal issue.

And I think a thread detailing who is warned, what for and so on would clear everything up. A thread where only mods may post. Then we would know what is going on, and if the warning/ban was not justified then the mod would be shown up for what he/she is and would have to self regulate themselves a little more.

But where are the other mods in this discussion? Thanks to Vimacs and Ed for joining in and being rational.

Question, there are elections coming up in Finland. Since nobody really cares about them, can I open a thread about them? :p I promise not to offend any other people with my strong opinions about parlamentiary system here. B)

I vote we prohibit talking about sports too. Sports is boring. Who's with me? :)

lubidog posted on Feb 21 2007 at 09:56 AM said:
I am sure with a disclaimer stating that anything stated on these boards by the members is not representative of the board owners would settle the legal issue.
To be fair to ED, I think he has made the legal argument in good faith. However, it is clear that legal concerns were not a factor in the rule change.

We have had lively discussions in the past about everything from the Iraq War to the death penalty, from Saddam Hussein to George Bush. Not to mention the infamous starwarsnerd religious threads. And no-one has been sued.

These changes have been made because certain mods believe they would make this place "nicer". However, they have failed to even take in to account what their users may want. We can't even discuss the merits of Macs, or the sense in using Bluray in the PS3 without it getting stopped without justification. The mods have gone too far and need to readdress what they are hoping to achieve.

Back