POLL to FPGA/CPLD or to not FPGA/CPLD?

What should the OP2 have?

• A different logic device/co-processor + CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

3_bit

Advantages of using an FPGA/CPLD

-Potential to help emulate CPUs or allow custom instructions to aid in emulation

-Help sell the OP2 to electronics enthusiasts

-Potential to do many other cool things with it

Disadvantages:

-Space

-Power (could be turned off)

-necessary software to make it practical for the CPU to use whilst emulating

-Space and cost

I dont see the op2 having an fpga or cpld.  They increase complexity of the design, software, increase component count, increase cost, increase power usage, etc. It was a challenge to fit all of the components of the op1 on its board. Have you taken a pandora apart? There is not much more room left.  I dont see these guys really increasing performance that much.  There will always be caveats trying to get them to work along side the cpu.  Synchronization, bandwidth limitation, plus the fact that they are programmed completely different will make these the least used aspect of the device. I dont think their will be enough benefits to include them. just my 2c

I'm thinking that, should the emu devs want to do complicated things with multithreading, separate audio processing and the like, they are much better off using the 2nd or 4th core that the P2 is bound to have. That could be far easier than coding for oddball hardware and software-defined logic chips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that, should the emu devs want to do complicated things with multithreading, separate audio processing and the like, they are much better off using the 2nd or 4th core that the P2 is bound to have. That could be far easier than coding for oddball hardware and software-defined logic chips.
silly question but do you think emu devs care for things being easy?...they are actually working on an isa level for both host and emulated systems. Maybe the freedom in an fpga approach is the challenge they want?

FPGA would be used for a number of things, like upscaling and processing. but I really assume anybody who requires a FPGA will be limited in a number of ways mainly lack of IO because this isn't a dev board.

Talk to Weston. I'm sure he'll tell you something that isn't based on bullshit like my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back