Port: Nj's Cps1 And Neogeo Emus

DaveC

Internal Development
Here is a cool idea and wish. A CPS1 and smoother NeoGeo emu.

NJ Sources at bottom of page:

http://nj-emu.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

GP2Xized CPS2 emu for reference:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,46,2006

There are ALOT of cool CPS1 games that would be great to have at the speed and quality of the current CPS2 emu. Yes, those play in MAME but they don't play nearly as smooth and the sound is stuttery etc. The scaling options are not as nice either. You either have to scale the whole thing (no horiz only) or crop.

Since the code is similar maybe it is worth doing? The CPS1 is pretty similar in hardware to the great CPS2 we have now only slower so it would probably run smoother at a lower clock rate on the GP2X than the CPS2 emu.

Also while GnGeo is good there are some speed/sound issues and NJ's emu would be smoother with better sound quality at a lower clock speed. Could that be "easily" ported to the GP2X too?

Some cool stuff CPS1:

1941: Counter Attack
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Cadillacs Kyōryū Shinseiki (Japan)
Capcom World 2: Adventure Quiz
Captain Commando
Carrier Air Wing
U.S. Navy (Japan)
Dynasty Wars
Tenchi o Kurau (Japan)
Final Fight
Forgotten Worlds
Lost Worlds (Japan)
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Dai Makaimura (Japan)
King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Mega Man: The Power Battle
Rockman: The Power Battle (Japan)
Mega Twins
Chiki Chiki Boys (Japan)
Mercs
Senjō no Ōkami II (Japan)
Nemo
Pang! 3
Pnickies
The Punisher
Quiz & Dragons: Capcom Quiz Game
Quiz Tonosama no Yabō 2: Zenkoku-ban
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Muscle Bomber: The Body Explosion (Japan)
Muscle Bomber Duo: Ultimate Team Battle (World)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
Street Fighter II': Champion Edition
Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting
Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Strider
Strider Hiryū (Japan)
Three Wonders
Wonder 3 (Japan)
U.N. Squadron
Area 88 (Japan)
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
Warriors of Fate
Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Japan)
Sangokushi II (Asia)
Willow

theres no need for MVSPSP since GnGeo is alot better, but a cps1 emu would be wanted

DaveC posted on Feb 14 2007 at 08:19 AM said:
There are ALOT of cool CPS1 games that would be great to have at the speed and quality of the current CPS2 emu.
Yes, I would agree, this would be awesome. In fact the CPS1 games would run even better as they are lower spec 68K and Z80 MHZ speeds as well as ROMs being substantially smaller so no cache files would be required.

I'd be peachy-keen on this as well and I would really love to know if Ell is planning on doing this or not?

If not, then I'll give it a crack >:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Goemon4 posted on Feb 13 2007 at 09:32 PM said:
theres no need for MVSPSP since GnGeo is alot better, but a cps1 emu would be wanted

Not really. MVSPSP is alot faster and smoother on the PSP and the sound is much better. Play MetalSlug and the sound is all crackly and popping on the GP2X. Plus it is kind of choppy, even at a high overclock (which some of us, like me can't do over 240MHz). I actually like NeoGeo more than these other two but may be harder? to port as it is not as similar to CPS2. I hope eventually a better MVS emu could come out. Right now CPS2 runs alot smoother than GnGEO and the NeoGeo has a much slower CPU. NeoGeo should run at least as smooth as CPS2 maybe at an even lower GP2X clock speed but it doesn't.

@slaanesh:
Yeah I wish ell was able to be reached. What board does he post on? I think he is Spanish but I didn't see his name on gp32spain. I would even e-mail him with a babbelfish translator basically asking if he intended to do it or not. If not then maybe you or someone here could do it. Is it alot of work to do? How long would it take? I don't now that kind of thing not being a coder. If it was relatively easy maybe you could port it and release with source and ell could add to it if he wanted. Or maybe one could do CPS1 and the other NeoGeo or something?

Good luck Slaanesh if you should decide to do it, that would rock!

i actually like GnGeo alot better, it needs an update yes, but as of now, i prefer it alot more than MVSPSP, it may be because i couldnt stand the psp's hardware/controlls but i just like gngeo..... yes MVSPSP has its ups, like it can play Rage Of The Dragon, but Gngeo can play SVC Chaos..... it would be nice to have, but all we need is an update to GnGeo

Also i can play Metal Slug 1-3 fine with sound, overclocked at 266, and the sound/gameplay seems fine

Goemon4 posted on Feb 13 2007 at 11:38 PM said:
Also i can play Metal Slug 1-3 fine with sound, overclocked at 266, and the sound/gameplay seems fine

Well that is good for you. Like I said not everyone can overclock that high and we wouldn't need to if it ran as fast as the CPS2 emu on the GP2X does.

Is Ell from Spain? If he is Spanish he has never visited GP32SPAIN or another spanish web. :huh:

Rivroner posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:28 AM said:
Is Ell from Spain? If he is Spanish he has never visited GP32SPAIN or another spanish web. :huh:
Hmmm maybe not, I might be mistaken. Maybe he is French? Maybe Korean or even (less likely) Japanese? I don't think he is German otherwise ED would know of him. I know he said it is hard for him to write English. I really wish we could contact him.

Nope he isn't a German, I can tell you that!(maybe Italian?)
but now back to topic:Gngeo is rather cool, and sound isn't that crackly with high overclock! <_<
But you can't play mslug4+5 and some others, like few kof games!! :( So updating Gngeo is better then porting that psp-crap, I'd say! ;)

Goemon4 posted on Feb 14 2007 at 12:38 AM said:
yes MVSPSP has its ups, like it can play Rage Of The Dragon, but Gngeo can play SVC Chaos..... it would be nice to have, but all we need is an update to GnGeo

err.. I played Rage of the dragon perfectly well on the GP2X... didn't try it too long as I don't like it :ph34r:

KingCheese posted on Feb 14 2007 at 01:04 PM said:
but now back to topic:Gngeo is rather cool, and sound isn't that crackly with high overclock! <_<
But you can't play mslug4+5 and some others, like few kof games!! :( So updating Gngeo is better then porting that psp-crap, I'd say! ;)

"With high overclock" Like I said and doesn't seem to sink in for some reason, *not all of us can overclock past 240 MHz*. In that case it is not as good as it could be. The sound has problems too it is very crackly in the Metal Slug games. The volumes are off too. The PSP MVS would run at full speed at 200 probably. It would save battery life for those that can overclock high too.

reiboul posted on Feb 14 2007 at 12:45 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Feb 14 2007 at 12:38 AM said:
yes MVSPSP has its ups, like it can play Rage Of The Dragon, but Gngeo can play SVC Chaos..... it would be nice to have, but all we need is an update to GnGeo

err.. I played Rage of the dragon perfectly well on the GP2X... didn't try it too long as I don't like it :ph34r:

it can! awsome! i cant really dump graphics so i dont have access to to much stuff (and i love RotD, its really combo based, so if you dont know any it isnt much fun, but once you get the hang of it, its really crazy!)

@ DaveC - if Ell (where ever hes from) does port them, i wouldnt mind, all im saying is personally i dont see a need for another Neo Geo emulator, but it wont hurt (ill just have to get, and re-dump all my romz again <_< ) but like i said, a port of CPS1PSP would be nice

I'll definitely add +1 vote for a CPS1 Emulator, quite a few games work well in MAME, but the scaling of Ell's CPS2 emu is so much better.

sry for the off topicness, but DaveC, what region are you using for GnGeo, with a japanese region i to get really slow choppy gameplay/sound, on europe tho, its fine.....

/back on topic, someone does need to contact ell so he can post CPS1 to the 2x (i didnt know hom much fun capcom games where!)

i think a port of this would be cool. i also think gngeo is awesome but we can't deny it needs a little improvement on the speed side to be perfect. also talking about sound issues, if you play snk vs capcom you will notice that the music is just absolutely screwed aswell as with samurai showdown where it is just plainly unbearable. not saying that it is easy to get this right... but still. maybe the source of this could be used to simply improve gngeo and fix some stuff?

one question: does cps1 emulation require that stupid qsound stuff aswell or did the cps1 not have that? cause that is just a sluggish waste of performance...

slaanesh posted on Feb 13 2007 at 10:53 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 14 2007 at 08:19 AM said:
There are ALOT of cool CPS1 games that would be great to have at the speed and quality of the current CPS2 emu.
Yes, I would agree, this would be awesome. In fact the CPS1 games would run even better as they are lower spec 68K and Z80 MHZ speeds as well as ROMs being substantially smaller so no cache files would be required.

I'd be peachy-keen on this as well and I would really love to know if Ell is planning on doing this or not?

If not, then I'll give it a crack >:)

Slaanesh have you decided if you would do a port of this? We haven't heard from Ell far awhile here so I am guessing he is probably not doing a CPS1 emu.

Any thoughts?

slaanesh posted on Feb 18 2007 at 10:24 PM said:
I started coding last night, seeing what can be done. I'm not too fast so we'll see how we go.

Cool, good luck.

Thanks starting it and for the info :)

Has anyone looked at this at all? It seems like a dead idea I suppose. I wonder what ever happened to Ell? It seems he vanished as quick as he appeared.

Back