port request CHEESE

Not sure how this works, but I would like to ask someone for a pnd of CHEESE or a similar program to use a webcam with.

That's pretty much it.

The problem is not really the software, but the webcam drivers in the first place - it is my understanding that no webcam currently works on Pandora. SO even if you have a PND from Cheese, you will not be able to do anything with it.

EDIT: actually it seems it's possible to get some webcams to work with Pandora. and capture the video stream through VLC. But i still have never seen a video of this working.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of webcams work out of the box, but I tried to compile cheese and gucview and both didn't start or cannot find the webcam, that is working fine in mplayer and vlc. I didn't debug further, but there seems to be a problem.

The programs theirselves arent hard to build and with more time, someone can make something happen here, I'm sure.

A lot of webcams work out of the box, but I tried to compile cheese and gucview and both didn't start or cannot find the webcam, that is working fine in mplayer and vlc. I didn't debug further, but there seems to be a problem.

Were you able to debug and find out the instruction causing the issue ?

I checked again and to build latest cheese, you need much newer libraries than are included in the Pandoraos and building them all would basically require to build a new firmware. They include gtk3, glib, clutter, gstreamer, pango, cairo ...

I checked again and to build latest cheese, you need much newer libraries than are included in the Pandoraos and building them all would basically require to build a new firmware. They include gtk3, glib, clutter, gstreamer, pango, cairo ...

Can't you just compile these librairies and attach them to the PND? Are you worried about the size?

If not, it's always possible to consider an older version.

@ekainjo - from experience those libraries don't compile easily.. it can be time consuming working out every compile issue with every library.. Many like gtk3 isn't a single library but many smaller ones group together.. glib is a pain in the ass to compile period.

What is so unclear? I stated, that newer versions need newer versions of some of THE BIGGEST libraries on the Pandora and older versions don't work. So yes, maybe someone could put the effort in and compile an older version and make it work, but well, with .next around the corner, I don't know if it is worth the hassle.

I think there is a version of cheese in the angstrom repository though, if you like to try that.

Thanks for the info. I'll just hold out for when someone can get around to debugging or recompiling or whatever technomagic dark sorcery is required. If anyone can tell me how to use mplayer to use a webcam that would be cool. I don't quite grasp that concept.

Back