Porting Possibility

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 11 2005 at 12:40 AM said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but a 3D sprite is basicly a textured polygon? That would mean you can just copy that texture (which is an image) to the frame buffer instead.
A 3D sprite is a textured polygon that always faces the camera. Games like Crash Bandicoot on PSX were true 3D, not 3D sprites. 3D objects have depth. No amount of software trickery is going to be able to emulate a 3D game using sprites without doing all the 3D calculations and rasterization anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DA is just suggesting that you could just assume that all poly's were sprites and thus render 2D games adequately.

Also AFAIK technically, poly's on the PSX don't really have depth - the rasteriser only sees them as 2D shapes (which is why it can't do perspective-correct texturing)

Yeah, I'm talking about 2 different things in the same paragraph.

2D games on PSX are made with 3D sprites but since they use a texture you can just draw the texture directly to the screen without the use of polygones.

If anyone could make 3D run fast enough it would be fun to play Crash Bandicot and Tekken on GP2X. I can't see why anyone couldn't get something like Mega Man X to run on GP2X using the draw texture to screen method and just igore any 3D effects.

Back