Possibilities? Dictionary And Wikipedia?

Bryanosaurus

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I love the concept of the device. It seems as though it could have as many possibilities as the GP2X and then some given the added features.

My question is, how difficult would it be to potentially add a dictionary and the whole downloadable wikipedia thing to the device? Stored on an SD card for non-wifi use. Is this the sort of thing that would take a long time to be released, if at all? I think it'd be a pretty awesome feature to throw in to the mix.

I wish my GP2X had a keyboard. <_<

(I searched and couldn't find talk of this. Forgive my asking if others have spoken about it.)

Shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of linux dictionary apps and wikipedia download is just a matter of finding an archive and reading it in the webbrowser (or just looking at it live through the wifi )

Good ideas. I don't really know much about wikipedia ; but always wondered why not any dictionaries have been made for GP2X. Dictionaries are essential for any portable device ; and a real shame an open-source and free platform don't have any...

Not hard to imagine how benefical it would be for students and people studying languages ; and also boost the popularity of the device
*dreams of a japanese dictionary*

Bah, I consider Plucker dislikeable.

And I used the Pocket PC version (running under Handheld PC OS) on my Jornada 720; it sucked.

A web browser is still the best interface; without images in the articles, Dillo will work fine.

atomicthumbs said:
A web browser is still the best interface
Even on the GP2X screen? I have not tried, but I would have expected the resolution to be too low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was some quick response!

Alghazanth said:
Good ideas. I don't really know much about wikipedia ; but always wondered why not any dictionaries have been made for GP2X. Dictionaries are essential for any portable device ; and a real shame an open-source and free platform don't have any...

Not hard to imagine how benefical it would be for students and people studying languages ; and also boost the popularity of the device
*dreams of a japanese dictionary*
Exactly! The GP2X has no physical keyboard though, which would make typing in queries rather cumbersome.
I always liked the idea people had of using their treo as a dictionary and encyclopedia, but I'd rather have those functions in something other than my phone. The Pandora seems like an excellent candidate for this and as an advancement of the GP2X's other uses.

wikipedia will be fine and is a great idea! Haven't thought of it yet. We'll just need a Browser (which we should have anyway) and free space on one of your SD-Cards.
To give you an impression how mich you'll see on the pandoradisplay:

pandorapedia.png

As your average monitor doesn't have the same dotpitch, here is a formula:
First, you have to measure (or look up) your horizontal screen size:
thats 247mm on my 12" Thinkpad
then, look up your horizontal resolution
thats 1024 pixels for me.
Now, divide screen size and resolution
247/1024=0.24mm dotpitch
Pandora has a dotpitch of approx. 0.12mm, so I'll divide
0.24/0.12=2
so I have to resize the picture to half the horizonal resolution which is
800/2=400
Note that aspect ratio has to be preserved.
The resulting image should be approx. 93mm wide.
Yankees: 0.117mm (pandoras dotpitch) is 0.00460629921 inches.

Please note that the resulting image is for size comparison only, the image on the pandora will most likely be a lot sharper and the pandora will use bigger fonts, too!

If I remember correctly, the DS had a homebrew dictionary program and a commercial Japanese Kanji dictionary. Also, links2x works quite well on the F200. Not too many people know this but it actually supports the touch screen :lol: !

qwerty15 said:
If I remember correctly, the DS had a homebrew dictionary program and a commercial Japanese Kanji dictionary. Also, links2x works quite well on the F200. Not too many people know this but it actually supports the touch screen :lol: !

In fact DS has lots of them ; not only Kanji dictionaries ; but lots of Kanji & Japanese study - drill games.

http://www.mrbass.org/nintendoDS/japanesegames/

Too bad GBA had so little of this stuff and no dictionary at all <_<

Would be nice to have access to Wiki and Dictionary on the Pandora, I read somewhere that there would be Firefox 3 and support for Flash so thats pretty cool with the Wifi that would be pretty useful, as well it can be displayed on a TV screen, so almost portable Wireless Internet TV. Haha stretching it but cool concept. =]

atomicthumbs said:
And I used the Pocket PC version (running under Handheld PC OS) on my Jornada 720; it sucked.
woohoo Jornada! :D I plan on selling mine upon the release of a good web browser and instant messaging client for the p&|a

Linkous said:
atomicthumbs said:
woohoo Jornada! :D I plan on selling mine upon the release of a good web browser and instant messaging client for the p&|a

Mine broke. :(

first the screen became iffy, then the PC card slot broke (so no wireless), then itstopped working altogether.

sigh

Back