Entire Wikipedia Fits On An Sd

TimmyB

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
According to Roam magazine it is possible to fit all Wikipedia texts onto a single SD card. This was talked about by one of the regular columnists.

I don't doubt that there's enough room on an SD card if the data is stored in a relatively raw format, but it makes me think of the possibilities for the GP2X.

Does anybody know how one goes about downloading Wikipedia? With some effort a browser/searcher could be coded and all of Wikipedia could be taken on the go.

This would impress a lot of people if it worked on GP2X.

Shikaku posted on Jul 20 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
Can't we just download the website and use Links?

=/

You'd have to configure the downloader that it just downloads the most recent versions of the articles, else you'll get over 10 gb's of data. Don't know about that's possible somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
And to think that people used to say that a floppy could hold an entire encyclopedia! :D
They said that?!?!

Hanz™ posted on Jul 20 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
And to think that people used to say that a floppy could hold an entire encyclopedia! :D
They said that?!?!

They did when I was young... er.
This was back in the day even before CD-roms cost a hojillion moneys and came only as x2 and sound cards were new-fangled things.

Magnulus posted on Jul 20 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
They did when I was young... er.
This was back in the day even before CD-roms cost a hojillion moneys and came only as x2 and sound cards were new-fangled things.
I remember paying £600 for a Creative SB Pro with Creative CD-ROM drive. The entire 5 1/2" bay popped out and there was a lid covering the CD.
Also got a Sherlock Holmes game with it.

Those were the (expensive) days.

Edit: Thinking about it £600 sounds far too much... My memory must be playing tricks on me. It was definitely over £150.

Back on the subject :p

I'm also very interested in a way to have a the wikipedia on my GP2X.

Are there any specifications which can be used?

Is it difficult to implement? I'm thinking that an Ipod has less horsepower then a GP2x or am I wrong here? It is just a lot data to handle.

Just a standard keyboard input plus a way to show the information would be enough for me. I would browse
it just for the fun of it.

Marco

The requirements will be extremely low. It's more or less a case of porting some sort of database software and sticking a front end on it. You could even use the built in webserver, and php to make a front end, in which case you just need the database software, which should also be pritty trivial to port.

Extracted: enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml is about 5.6GB (compressed was 1.2GB)

Extracting takes forever... :( (about 50 minutes for me, on WinRar)

ZBEDic is a Linux-platform dictionary reader that supports the text-only dump of Wikipedia. You can get the reader, and some links to the dictionary files here.

http://bedic.sourceforge.net/

There are other sources for the Wiki dump, it can be hard to find the most up-to-date one, and as the site says, the older dump was far superior in terms of internal linking.

I have it on my Archps PMA, storage is no problem w/ 30GB, and it's not as slow to search and use as you would think! ZBEDic is a really efficient piece of software.

Anyway, I don't know if this would work out of the box on the GP, but here it is for your edification nonetheless.

(I landed in this topic from a recent post on the same subject)

Offline wikipedia with a fast searchable interface was in slashdot a few days ago (I'll post a link later).

I agree that the size retrictions are dire for SDs, so maybe the question is how to produce a nice
slice that fits in the available space?

Back