Updating the Wikipedia Page on Pandora

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Hey guys,

I went on the Pandora page on wikipedia and noticed there was a bunch of info completely out of date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

I did a few fixes myself in the technical specifications part, but there's probably more to do.

Wikipedia could be useful for newcomers who have never heard of the console before, so it's good to keep it updated if possible.

Don't hesitate to make a few edits :)

I don't have the time to make proper changes but here is a list for someone else to do.

First:

256MB DDR-333 SDRAM[32] ("Rebirth" edition Pandoras, made from early 2012 in Germany, have 512MB)

should be change to

512 MB (early models have 256MB)

Pandora has 1GB nand

Pandora supports at least two 128GB SD Cards

yeah the SD card limitation to 32 gbs per slot had no basis I think.
I would be careful about this, as it actually does have a basis: The slots officially only support that much. The current SDXC Cards are actually "SDXC in name only" for the sake of Microsoft Windows, and are the same as SDHC Cards - that is to say, they're SDHC Cards that come formatted as exFAT for their larger size, as officially Microsoft's FAT32 format is not supposed to be used on partitions more than 32GB in size.

It is my understanding (and I welcome corrections, so please do feel free to provide them) that future SDXC Cards may not take this route and will be electrically different, and therefore won't function in older readers - much the same as SDHC Cards won't work in a plain SD reader. This being so, it would be highly misleading to promote the Pandora as able to read all 128GB cards, when this may not be the case.

Long story short: Stick to promoting what things can really do, and leave the mentioning of bonuses in this vein to the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the SD card limitation to 32 gbs per slot had no basis I think.
I would be careful about this, as it actually does have a basis: The slots officially only support that much. The current SDXC Cards are actually "SDXC in name only" for the sake of Microsoft Windows, and are electrically the same as SDHC Cards - that is to say, they're SDHC Cards that come formatted as exFAT for their larger size.

Also: SDXC uses some previously "forbidden" addressing bits, which was an artificial size limitation on SDHC per Microsofts recommendation.

Long story short: Stick to promoting what things can really do, and leave the mentioning of bonuses in this vein to the community.

Wait, wait. Do the 64 and 128 Gb cards already available on the market work on Pandora or not ?

If yes, 32 gb only is not correct. I'm fine with putting limitations/warnings around the larger capacities, but if technically some larger sizes are supported it should be indicated.

Some < 32 GB cards don't work for some reason (see the compatibility chart) - yet nobody objects to stating that "32GB cards are supported".

There are at least _some_ 64GB and 128GB cards that do work, so I see no reason not to state that the Pandora supports the biggest available SD cards (currently two times 128GB). I think that at least _some_ 256GB cards will also work on the Pandora once they become available.

Most android tablets say "memory upgradable up to 32GB with SD card"

So perhaps we should say "memory upgradable to 256GB with two SD cards (limited compatibility)

Most android tablets say "memory upgradable up to 32GB with SD card"

So perhaps we should say "memory upgradable to 256GB with two SD cards (limited compatibility)

Mmm... has anyone found a name brand SDXC card purchased from a reliable source that -didn't- work?

My Pandora has worked fine with every card I've thrown at it from 4GB SD (weird nonSDHC card that freaks out some devices) all the way through a 128GB SDXC UHS-I and 20+ cards of various manufacture and type in between.

The big thing with the >32GB cards is that you need to go into it knowing that you MUST re-partition and/or re-format the card to make it work as nobody has set up exFAT to work on the Pandora.

There IS free Linux source code available for exFAT, but so far nobody has stepped up and made it work (for various reasons). http://code.google.com/p/exfat/

So maybe say, "Secure Digital based solid state storage upgradable to 128GB per slot for a quarter terabyte (256GB) of storage using select properly re-formatted SDXC cards. See compatibility matrix for more information."

Wait, wait. Do the 64 and 128 Gb cards already available on the market work on Pandora or not ?

If yes, 32 gb only is not correct. I'm fine with putting limitations/warnings around the larger capacities, but if technically some larger sizes are supported it should be indicated.
Yes, but to make a blanket statement that the device can support higher than what it's officially rated for may be unwise. That's my point.

It's like saying that all of the original-model units can clock to 1.2GHz, when, though some may be able to, there is absolutely no guarantee of that (and if yours can do that, it's a bonus).

I maintain that, given the fact that future SDXC Cards which will flood the market - when they are true SDXC Cards and not just SDHC-with-a-different-name - may not work, it would be a poor idea to go around proclaiming that the device supports "up to [however much]". If you must mention it (and, yes, I agree that it is worth mentioning), then put it in some body-text (in the form of something like, say, "Officially the system supports two SD Cards of up to 32GB each, but users have found that SDXC Cards available on the market between [X dates] can also be used, allowing for up to [however much per slot]."), and not in a specifications listing.

Back