Possible game engine?

Kordman916

Still Fresh
So while browsing the internet today looking for a graphics engine to begin Android game development I came across this:

http://code.google.com/p/catcake/

It's a graphics engine that supports Windows, Linux, & Android!

You can get the source and binaries from the link above along with all the information about the engine.

From what I've seen from looking at the source files of some of the samples this engine looks insanely simple, but allows enough flexibility for experienced programmers as well.

I don't know much about what would need to happen to get it working on the Pandora so that's why I posted it here to see if anyone could port it?

I also believe it supports OpenGL ES so that's a start right?

I've played around with the binaries a bit and I can say that I would love to see it running on the Pandora!

So anyone up to the challenge? ;)

sample11_model.png

sample12_motion.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call it "dead" but more like finished. I've been reading the documentation and I've even practiced coding basic projects using this engine.

In it's current state this engine has more than enough features for game development:

3D model rendering

Sprites

Shaders

Sounds

Input

Maths

Etc..

It's also very fast at rendering.

I encourage anyone reading this to at least download the source (Comes complete with full documentation) and give it a try.

Even if it can't be ported to the Pandora (Which I'm positive it can be.) it can still be used for your next project!

Hehe, A project is never "finished" - especially engines!

That's why I call it dead. It means nobody is fixing bugs of implementing new features, so it's de facto dead.

"Never can tell"

A project is as good as it works for one on some purpose one have.

Android two years ago and Android in 2012 is not really the same thing anymore. It's not like any of the systems supported are static and not evolving. That's game engines should always be "current". Why do you think Unreal Engine, Unity, Cry Engine continue to evolve over time ?

Once you stop making updates the value of the engine diminishes greatly.

Plus, if you face issues with this engine, who are you going to contact if no-one is working on it anymore ? It screams "No Support" clearly.

I wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes looking at it :) But you are free to spend time on it if you like !

Understandable... What would you use for 3D game development on Pandora?

There's no engine to use for pandora out there for OpenGLes, so basically you have to design your own engine from scratch for 3D. I haven't done much research on that, so maybe there is something but if there is, it is probably not actively supported.

Back