Possible Motion Detection?

gpx74532

Still Fresh
Was reading the following article and thought it would be great if something like this was made available for the Pandora?

£15 is not a bad price either.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/tiltfx-from-codejunkies-makes-a-psp-respond-to-your-every-move

Since it says it clips to the left side, this suggests to me that it plugs into the serial port built into the headphone jack. If that's the case, then it *might* be directly compatible with the UART pins in the EXT port.
That's actually a really cheap price for a 3 axis accelerometer.

Would be great if there was something like this for the Pandora and at this price, but looking at the TiltFX web site (http://www.tiltfx.com/#3) it looks like this is some sort of proprietary interface.

Maybe there is a USB version or equivalent

Windy said:
..., but looking at the TiltFX web site (http://www.tiltfx.com/#3) it looks like this is some sort of proprietary interface...
Looks like Earphones connector extension. Something like additional contacts for audio remote control, microphone, etc. Little thumb fit into 3.5 mm jack connecting ground and pcb using extension wiring (maybe UART?). I don't know PSP at all, but if it works as I think it be pretty simple wire to Pandora ext-port. Just SW missing :)
Anyway. This can be done on Pandora trough UART on ext port. Just need some hackers involved into.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a similar piece from the neo team.
I think we should work on some adapter to the PSP headphone port. Its perfect for this: A small pass through would be enough.

I thought this was interesting the lower left corner ..
Code:
Copyright 2010 Datel Design.
Like the Action Replay cart makers?

edit:
From this pic it looks like its using the headphone socket for ground/stability and an edge connector for power/data
5.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 91
This is the company i buy my MAME cabinet spares from, they do a USB accelerometer with some pins for (IIRC) 8 extra button inputs as well.

http://www.u-hid.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=24

I bought one a few months ago but haven't used it yet, apparently it's just a HID when you plug it in, so you can code against it like a 3 axis mouse.

(Edit - Wrong link, twice!)

I like the following from the description of the U-HID G (accelerometer) device (from their website)

The U-HID-G has a three-axis accelerometer for sensing gravity and motion acceleration, plus it has a complete U-HID-NANO expansion port, configurable for buttons, keystrokes, further analog or quadrature. It can serve as a gaming interface for flight controls, steering wheels, joysticks, pinball nudge, or whatever else you can think of that can be accomplished by sensing the acceleration that is reported by the U-HID-G to your computer. In addition to gaming, the U-HID-G may provide motion feedback for musical instruments, exercise equipment, alarm systems, and just about anything else that works based on motion.

Windows and Mac OS support a number of "native" HID devices using in-built drivers. The U-HID board appears as the following HID devices on the PC:

* Keyboard
* Gamepad (including analog and digital controls)
* Mouse
* LED outputs

I assume it will also work with Linux (although not sure about any tuning/calibration), but would be interested in seeing that confirmed.

My biggest concern is that it looks too big ( but difficult to tell from the picture), and I am not sure you would have a usable device when plugged into the Pandora. It would also need some way of being mounting into a USB dongle.

UK £26.52, US$39, does not seem too bad.

Beepo said:
They are just a little bigger than 3cm x 1cm

I would be interested to see how you get on with it Beepo.

I would would be good to have an alternate input when fingers and thumbs are numb from repetitive strain (or to stop them getting numb in the first place)

It would be nice if there were a motion sensor (multi-axis accelerometer I guess it's called) in SDIO form.

Edit: with a rumble pack.

I don`t see the point of motion detection, My body tell`s me when i need to go. :rolleyes:

Ok, I have my coat on, Can somebody please close the door behind me.

Thanks.

Trooper

trooper said:
I don`t see the point of motion detection, My body tell`s me when i need to go. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Trooper
I would like it for compatiblity with Android apps.

hosant said:
trooper said:

Thanks.

Trooper
I would like it for compatiblity with Android apps.
That's an argument.

Back