*possible* Opensnes News

Website
Visit site
Just browsing Zodiacgamer.com and i noticed some possibly interesting news from Yoyo:-

I'll try to have something usable and I'll email it to you/put it on my website.
But right now I'm very busy ....
I have merged nes & snes emu in one executable (2 'tapwave enhanced' armlets).
Nes part seems ok, save state implemented.
Snes part has zipped save state support, but it crashes randomly at exit...
Roms seem to work from internal memory too.
They are now loaded in storage memory rather than in dynamic heap so it should leave room for further memory-based optimization.
Sound has been added too but it's a big slowdown when activated.
I'm working now on the asm cpu part.

that's all for now .

Sounds like he's making LittleJohn and Opensnes one program..... Thats probably just for Zodiac, but he also stated that he is currently working on the asm cpu, and that can implemented on both platforms quite *easily*.

That might get him in trouble. Wasn't the Nintendo patent about an emulator on a handheld that automaticly detected the type of ROM you were loading, then emulated from that system?

rcx21000 posted on Apr 13 2004 at 12:48 PM said:
That might get him in trouble. Wasn't the Nintendo patent about an emulator on a handheld that automaticly detected the type of ROM you were loading, then emulated from that system?
that patent was for GB/GBC/GBA emulation

Last edited by a moderator:
Octavious posted on Apr 13 2004 at 02:39 PM said:
wheres yoyo out of?
and if its not in the US, does that mean it is legal everywhere but US ( like that will stop me )

~Octavious
YoyoFR is from the France

The fact that it is a US patent doesn;t make any difference. There are international laws that stop people in other countries infinging it. I used to work in the Patent Office (for a bit!).

I think perhaps you should all wake up to the possibility that Yoyo has ceased development on the GP32 in favour of the Zodiac. I saw this coming when he won the Zodiac in the last GBAX competition. I personally cannot blame him for the move and wish him all the best on this new platform.

I thought about that too but I think he would have informed us if that was the case...I hope he will still be in the GP32 dev scene. :unsure:

see you :lol:

none of this is any news... it was already said in a WIP a while back that he was making it for the Zodiac and GP32 at the same time... also that he was implementing an ARM core...

this is all old news, face it, its gonna be ages till the new SNES emu is with is... so just keep waiting for some REAL news :p and yes he is still working on the GP32, but he's also doing loads for the zodiac too... he already said he's not going to stop devving for GP32! :D

RatchetMan posted on Apr 13 2004 at 03:07 PM said:
I think perhaps you should all wake up to the possibility that Yoyo has ceased development on the GP32 in favour of the Zodiac. I saw this coming when he won the Zodiac in the last GBAX competition. I personally cannot blame him for the move and wish him all the best on this new platform.
I sincerly doubt thats the case. Obviously he was opened his horrizons to the Zodiac, but since the platforms are so similar, one can damn near recompile the source code for any zodiac project that doesnt use any PalmOS proprietary functions (and replace them if it does) on the GP32.

YoYo is making the OS9x for Zodiac, but that very same code will work just fine in the GP32 version. That ARM ASM core that he plans, will work on the GP32 version as well as the Zodiac version with VERY LITTLE or no modification at all.

He has two systems to develop for, we already have LittleJohn and a semi workable OS9x, he is simply giving the Zodiac community the same benefits that we have.

People that say "OH NOS! He probably moved to zodiac forever wa! wa! wa! oh no my life is over!" should grow up. Just because someone gets a new toy and starts a bit of development for it, doesnt mean you abandoned the old toy at all. Some people need to take a break from one thing, and work on another for a bit, especially a nice new toy.

Even if yoyo makes a zodiac-only version of Osnes9x/Littlejohn, I think he will release the source code as usual, so the community will be able to 'port' it on the GP32.

By the way: any news from yogg?
I think I remember that Yoyo said it had been improved, some time ago...
I wish he released a new version that crackles less than version 0.1...

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 13 2004 at 03:44 PM said:
Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 13 2004 at 03:07 PM said:
People that say "OH NOS! He probably moved to zodiac forever wa! wa! wa! oh no my life is over!" should grow up.
I was not saying this at all. It is natural for developers to move with the technology. I know this as I am a developer myself. I personally am not bothered either way as I am happy with the version of OS9x that I currently have.

Back