Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

Prometheus said:
Pleng said:
I also tried Jazz Jackrabbit, just for giggles (yea I know there's OpenJazz which I am using now). It stuttered a lot and was not really playable. I overclocked to 850Mhz and performance was pretty much the same.
Which version did you test in DOSBox, please?

Wait, Pleng, were you running OpenJazz in DOSBox? You'd think it could compile and run natively...

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Which version did you test in DOSBox, please? I own Jazz CD, and it completely freaks out - it acts as though I'm holding left all the time, even though I'm not. Trying to press right results in Jazz walking on the spot endlessly (and up and down do nothing at all). It also does this in between "pages" of the cutscenes/intro. Did you come across this? If so, how did you make it stop?

I have the shareware, floppy disk version, and I don't have any of the walking left problems with it.

kuru said:
I guess Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny (The Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge) would run?

Is there an interpreter vor Gobliiins?
Edit: Looks like good ol' ScummVM does the trick.

Just tried Realms of Arkania 1 and 2; the title screen at 500mhz of RoA 1 is a bit much, but the game itself pays fine for as far as I can tell; RoA2 seems to load & run a bit slower, but it works. Haven't tried fighting though, just started the games and walked around in the towns a bit.

Has anyone ever tried Screamer 2 or Screamer Rally in DosBox?

I was a latecomer to the PC (I had a decent computer before that - Amiga) but Screamer 2 was the first game I bought and I was blown away by it...

I solved my issue with Jazz Jackrabbit CD by re-copying the files. :D Now I must report that I had great success running it, and it wasn't too far off of full-speed.

With DOSBox, I used the full core, and set the cycles to auto, and in Jazz CD's setup, I chose SoundBlaster Clone (which is stereo) as the soundcard, and set the music to Medium Quality, which it recommends you do for a 386 (when you start the game, though, it claims that it detects the machine as a 486). In the game's own setup options, I set the detail to low, and chose the "No Colour Animation" option. It slows down a little in places, however, but it runs very well indeed otherwise.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this was with my Pandora set at the default 500MHz.

kuru said:
I'm also curious if X-Wing and/or TIE-Fighter are possible.
Tried X-Wing.

With all the graphics settings set way low it ... runs ..., but the framerate tanks when you're looking at a ship.

This is without fiddling with the settings or overclocking.

Surprising thing : Touch screen actually works as expected. I didn't think those old dos games could handle absolute mouse positions.

RoboShmup said:
If anyone wants to make me very happy, could you try The Last Express? Very slim chances I'm guessing, but even slim chances are worth it for that game.

You just made me realized it isn't supported by ScummVM. That makes me annoyed. Especially since unless we're talking Minesweeper, ain't no way a Windows95 game will be playable.

I just did some more testing with Jazz Jackrabbit CD (which, as it says when it starts up, is Jazz Jackrabbit version 1.2, for the record). I used the same settings as when I posted before, but this time I clocked my Pandora to 850MHz - it was more-or-less full-speed. If you'll pardon the pun, this makes me a happy bunny. :p

Prometheus said:
I just did some more testing with Jazz Jackrabbit CD (which, as it says when it starts up, is Jazz Jackrabbit version 1.2, for the record). I used the same settings as when I posted before, but this time I clocked my Pandora to 850MHz - it was more-or-less full-speed. If you'll pardon the pun, this makes me a happy bunny. :p
Thats pretty cool!
You reckon "Trash It" might work?? that was a top game but I cant find anywhere to buy it. plus I think it will be too much for dos box

It was a great game. Was on the Playstation too so not too bad if its doesn't work, I found it on rapid share so we will see, I'm doubtfull though

Here is a vid on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5uhpz8-r04&feature=PlayList&p=1D4D1CFA83392B2B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=17

I can confirm this game works at playable speeds at 850Mhz.. It is a shame I cant figure out how to configure contols

Is there a way I can map keyboard to a virtual joypad?

Kicker said:
You just made me realized it isn't supported by ScummVM. That makes me annoyed. Especially since unless we're talking Minesweeper, ain't no way a Windows95 game will be playable.
There is a DOS version of Last Express, not just 95. Googling Last Express Dosbox shows a few posts on how it has some problems running on non-windows Dosbox, but those posts are a few years old. The specs are probably out of the Pandora's reach, but I'm not giving up complete hope ;)

RoboShmup said:
Kicker said:
There is a DOS version of Last Express, not just 95. Googling Last Express Dosbox shows a few posts on how it has some problems running on non-windows Dosbox, but those posts are a few years old. The specs are probably out of the Pandora's reach, but I'm not giving up complete hope ;)

Rather than hope, we could spend that energy on convincing Jordan Mechner to give the source to the ScummVM team. Or put it on GoG. Or both.

mvickers03 said:
Is there a way I can map keyboard to a virtual joypad?
Yes. When you start DOSBox, it should tell you what to press to bring up the keymapper - you'll be able to assign keys to the game controls there. What you have to do is click on the key you want to remap, click the "Add" button at the bottom, and then press what you want to map it to. Be aware that you will need to move the window upwards, by holding down the shift key and then dragging it, in order to reach the "Save" button.

Could anyone try Frenetic Plus? It is freeware and I was hoping it would work in dosbox. If not, you should try it anyway on your windows machines (yes, all of them). It is pretty kick-ass. The download (found HERE) contains both Windows and Dos executables. EDIT: Even in Windows, use the Dos executable in DosBox. It seems to run much better.

If anyone could give it a shot, I would be most appreciative. Anyway, why not try it? It's free! And also good.

Back