Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

I ran a few of the old Apogee games and they run really well...

* Alien Carnage (full registered version...freeware!) - It was reported earlier on in this thread that Alien Carnage had problems with some freeze-ups. It runs really well with the following DOSBox settings,...CPU speed around 600-700, Frameskip = 2. In the game menu configuration, make sure Turbo Mode is turned on. I played through the first level and it ran smooth without problems.

* Blake Stone (10 level Shareware episode) - This is Wolf3D in a futuristic setting with a bunch of extra features, one being an elevator to go back and forth between levels (pretty cool!). It runs well with the following DOSBox settings,...CPU speed around 850, Frameskip = 7. It runs great with the mouse if in the game menu configuration you set mouse sensitivity to Max.

* StarGunner (full registered version...freeware!) - This is a great side-scrolling retro shootemup with lots and lots of eye-candy graphics! It runs well with the following DOS Box settings,...CPU speed around 700, Frameskip = 2. Be sure and run the Setup.exe program first to set sound,..tap on Auto Detect, tap on Test Sound, and then tap on Save and Exit. The only thing that runs slow in the game is the Star Wars type scrolling text at the beginning of each episode. It was a bug that was reported originally way back when in beta-testing with some users and their video cards (showing my age!). And now it appears to be a bug with DOSBox. It's fine though, just let it slowly scroll for reading or hit Enter to skip.

Realms of the Haunting won't run smoothly even when overclocking to 800mhz and using dos/32a extender
it runs smoothly in the indoors levels, but when outside it is about 1 fps, 2 at best.
Such a shame, it would have been a great game to play on the Pandora

Esn said:
I'm having the same issue with JazzCD. Jazz just wants to keep running to the left.

You say you solved it simply by deleting the folder and putting it in again? Why the hell would that work? :blink:
Sorry for the very late response to this (I hadn't had the time to look into it), but I think I've figured out why it worked. I've just made a post about it on the other forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Prometheus. I've added a "known bugs and how to fix them" section to the wiki article on DOSBox:
http://pandorawiki.org/DOSBox

I encourage anyone to contribute if they've found any more.

I am pleased to announced that NetKeen works in DOSBox. I played some 2- and 3-player online matches (using IPX tunneling).

It was quite laggy, though - I'll try to optimize the .conf file and see if it gets any better. Also, I was running xChat at the same time (because matches are organized from the IRC channel), so that surely slowed it down more.

Anyone made Dungeon Hack work ?

In fact I can play but when I try to save/load, it goes back to dos with this message :
Error : Couldn't open savegame directory for reading
Last message = 0
Last object = 2006
Last event = 9

Any ideas ?

So happy to see Beholder series work, why not this one :(

Tried Menzoberranzan : It works, but slow.
Alone in the Dark works well with slow details

Ok, I added all comments since Jan.25 to the wiki's DOSBox compatibility list.

Vinyl Goddess from Mars - Jill of the Jungle doesn't work at all, but this unofficial sequel does...

Unfortunately, this is one of those games that would be perfectly playable and enjoyable if DOSBox had automatic frameskip. Alas, it does not, so the game goes from fullspeed to slowed down very often.

P.S. Magic Carpet has a PlayStation version of it as well. Would that be an acceptable alternative?

I add here + 2 videos of original games

- Al Qadim : works but a bit slow (playable)

- Shadow Caster : works but a bit slow (playable)

- Death Rally : freezes on loading

- Heroes of Might and Magic 1 (playable): works but I have issues with the mouse/nubs, I can't move it to some parts of the screen. Using a USB mouse fixes it.

- Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (playable): works but I can't save because I mount it as a CDROM so it can't write savegames. Need to try a Floppy version.

- Dark Forces : works but needs very slow details to be playable

Anvil of Dawn : Works well

Bureau 13 : Perfect

Shadow of The Comet : Perfect

Lands of Lore : Perfect

Vid on the way ;)

Dune 2 : Perfect

Eternam : Perfect

WitchHaven (FPS) : Too Slow to be playable

Heart of China (Point'n Click) : Works Well (better with Keyboard, Issues with nubs/mouse)

The Incredible Machine (braingame)
: didn't make it work, will try again

Inherit the Earth (point'n click) : playable, a bit slow.

Ishar 1 & 2 RPG : Freezes on loading, can't chose the language

Dark Legions (wargame) : playable, a bit slow

Ravenloft JDR : Issues with the mouse, can't launch the game

Robinson's Requiem Adventure : Issues with the mouse and too slow to be playable.

Veil of Darkness Adventure : Works Well, some issues with mouse/nubs

I tried different versions of the game and this one works (Floppy, in French) : [Link removed]

[Note: As the forum rules stipulate, please don't link to ROMs or warez. Unfortunately, "Abandonware" is not a legal concept. --Prometheus]

With WinBox running dos without windows 3.1, and the Pandora overclocked to 1GHz, masters of orion 2 is now (barely) playable for me. (With the normal version of dosbox, it had issues with the mouse jumping and MOO2 doesn't support keyboard menu navigation.)

Hi the games that ive got to work flawlessly on the current dosbox are

alone in the dark
Caesar 2
elite plus
Sherlock Holmes case of the rose tattoo
Jack the Ripper
Kingdom far reaches (used to be on cd-i)
Lords of Midnight 3 Citadel (although i really really want a version of winlom99 to work on pandora)
Mission Critical
Under a Killing Moon
Police Quest 1-4
Sherlock Holmes case of the serrated scalpel
Terminator Skynet
StrongHold
Swat 1 & 2
Star Wars Rebel alliance
The last express
Burn Cycle (also old cd-i game)
Voyeur
WW2 GI
SHANNARA (make of the books by Terry Brooks SHANNARA SERIES)

A Few of the games run through win 3.1 via dosbox

milinks said:
Hi the games that ive got to work flawlessly on the current dosbox are

alone in the dark
Caesar 2
elite plus
Sherlock Holmes case of the rose tattoo
Jack the Ripper
Kingdom far reaches (used to be on cd-i)
Lords of Midnight 3 Citadel (although i really really want a version of winlom99 to work on pandora)
Mission Critical
Under a Killing Moon
Police Quest 1-4
Sherlock Holmes case of the serrated scalpel
Terminator Skynet
StrongHold
Swat 1 & 2
Star Wars Rebel alliance
The last express
Burn Cycle (also old cd-i game)
Voyeur
WW2 GI
SHANNARA (make of the books by Terry Brooks SHANNARA SERIES)

A Few of the games run through win 3.1 via dosbox
Could you tell me which clockspeed you were running at, and did you use any frameskip?

Also, which ones in particular needed to be run through win 3.1?

Back