Potential for Windows ME or XP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who needs a non-POSIX OS those days?
I thought that Windows implemented a fully posix compliant subsystem.
They did? Since when?

-God Ginrai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX

It's not really as a consumer focused product.  For instance it was only on the Windows Vista and 7 Ultimate editions, in terms of consumer licenses anyways.  Note NT having POSIX elements goes further back, if one wants to include the prior subsystem tech.

Yes, I know this is quite am ambitious proposal. I'm no real programmer and  I've never owned a Pandora, much less seen one in person. But with performance being more than doubled, and emulation of an i286 being more than doable on a Pandora, couldn't we have the Pyra hypothetically run Windows XP? It might even support Bluetooth and Wifi.
I remember when I had a 32-bit Athlon system running at over 1GHz I bought back in 2003 and I transferred it to XP from 98SE.  It ran... poorly.  As did every other system of the era I encountered.  It got the job done, but I've never cared for XP my impression was always that it was bloated.

I think the question you intend if whether games of the era would run on Pyra hardware.  Given DooM 3's engine and the Jedi Academy engines have been open sourced, and in the latter case ported I'm don't think they'd be an issue.  Far Cry, Serious Sam, and Escape from Butcher's Bay were really intended for a 64-bit system of the era, and I doubt a Cortex A15 has enough power to use Qemu to effectively emulate an Athlon 64.  Source engine games of the era are of course less demanding, although a lot of those are tied to the Steam client and thus might simply be better handled by streaming.

Pentium level DOSBOX emulation which is to say basically the entire DOS catalogue, and ability to handle the Quake derivatives like SiN and GoldSource engine games via Qemu/Unreal derivatives like Deus Ex with Qemu/Wine with some definition of running is the most I'd tend to expect in terms of where it would land in the realm of x86 emulation.  GPU and multicore offload for games not designed in the model of modern hardware is an issue I don't see easily handled without being able to modify the game engine as games of that era liked to hit the CPU hard.

Who needs a non-POSIX OS those days?
I thought that Windows implemented a fully posix compliant subsystem.
They did? Since when?

-God Ginrai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX

It's not really as a consumer focused product.  For instance it was only on the Windows Vista and 7 Ultimate editions, in terms of consumer licenses anyways.  Note NT having POSIX elements goes further back, if one wants to include the prior subsystem tech.

Yes, I know this is quite am ambitious proposal. I'm no real programmer and  I've never owned a Pandora, much less seen one in person. But with performance being more than doubled, and emulation of an i286 being more than doable on a Pandora, couldn't we have the Pyra hypothetically run Windows XP? It might even support Bluetooth and Wifi.
I remember when I had a 32-bit Athlon system running at over 1GHz I bought back in 2003 and I transferred it to XP from 98SE.  It ran... poorly.  As did every other system of the era I encountered.  It got the job done, but I've never cared for XP my impression was always that it was bloated.

I think the question you intend if whether games of the era would run on Pyra hardware.  Given DooM 3's engine and the Jedi Academy engines have been open sourced, and in the latter case ported I'm don't think they'd be an issue.  Far Cry, Serious Sam, and Escape from Butcher's Bay were really intended for a 64-bit system of the era, and I doubt a Cortex A15 has enough power to use Qemu to effectively emulate an Athlon 64.  Source engine games of the era are of course less demanding, although a lot of those are tied to the Steam client and thus might simply be better handled by streaming.

Pentium level DOSBOX emulation which is to say basically the entire DOS catalogue, and ability to handle the Quake derivatives like SiN and GoldSource engine games via Qemu/Unreal derivatives like Deus Ex with Qemu/Wine with some definition of running is the most I'd tend to expect in terms of where it would land in the realm of x86 emulation.  GPU and multicore offload for games not designed in the model of modern hardware is an issue I don't see easily handled without being able to modify the game engine as games of that era liked to hit the CPU hard.
As a user of most weird HW, i disagree with you.

About what?

You quoted my entire post, which had a number of points, and your single sentence response is poorly formed. 

If you're saying you don't think Quake, Quake 2, or Unreal derived engines could run, at some definition of running then I'd direct you to check the minimum specs of those games.  It wasn't uncommon for the minimum to be a Pentium MMX with a frequency that's not particularly high.  Deus Ex, which is arguably the most demanding has a minimum of a 300 MHz Pentium II.  There are reasons to believe these thresholds can be reached.

However these Quake, Quake 2, and Unreal derivative engines also easily scaled up to asking for a 750MHz Pentium III in the case of the original Half Life with high texture mod, despite the minimum for Half Life being a 133MHz Pentium MMX. 

If it's relative to Source and associated, Half Life 2's minimum was a 1.2 GHz x86 processor and Source was on the lightweight side of that era.

Do we really need this conversation again? Seriously?

Give up searching for an answer to run Windows ME / XP on ARM. Wine is probably our only answer.

Do we really need this conversation again? Seriously?

Give up searching for an answer to run Windows ME / XP on ARM. Wine is probably our only answer.
I agree that this should be closed.Add QEMU to you list.

About what?

You quoted my entire post, which had a number of points, and your single sentence response is poorly formed. 

If you're saying you don't think Quake, Quake 2, or Unreal derived engines could run, at some definition of running then I'd direct you to check the minimum specs of those games.  It wasn't uncommon for the minimum to be a Pentium MMX with a frequency that's not particularly high.  Deus Ex, which is arguably the most demanding has a minimum of a 300 MHz Pentium II.  There are reasons to believe these thresholds can be reached.

However these Quake, Quake 2, and Unreal derivative engines also easily scaled up to asking for a 750MHz Pentium III in the case of the original Half Life with high texture mod, despite the minimum for Half Life being a 133MHz Pentium MMX. 

If it's relative to Source and associated, Half Life 2's minimum was a 1.2 GHz x86 processor and Source was on the lightweight side of that era.
"I doubt a Cortex A15 has enough power to use Qemu to effectively emulate an Athlon 64."I am sure it can, if tuned right.

Back