Powerslide - First Screenshots

Website
Visit site
Hello everyone - here are some screenshots of my new game for the GP2X 'Powerslide'. Its top a down scrolling racer with psuedo-isometric graphics. The finished game will feature 8 tracks, 3 levels of difficulty and Ill release the details on how you can put together your own tracks.

The game code is about 50% finished. I reckon Ill finish it before the New Year, if not just after.

ss1eo4.png
ss2ff8.png

ss3vg8.png
ss4ft2.png

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:07 AM said:
Hello everyone - here are some screenshots of my new game for the GP2X 'Powerslide'. Its top a down scrolling racer with psuedo-isometric graphics. The finished game will feature 8 tracks, 3 levels of difficulty and Ill release the details on how you can put together your own tracks.

The game code is about 50% finished. I reckon Ill finish it before the New Year, if not just after.
:blink: :blink: whoa. This looks awesome!! Can't wait to try out this game!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tmb_ayebe posted on Dec 22 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
Oh cool! I love this type of game!
I'll try this out as soon as I have five minutes.

Erm, theres no demo yet.

In fact, sod it, heres the Zombie Cars demo (The CPU cars just home in on you) but it will give you a feel for the power slides that give the game its name.

Press START on the title page to start the game. Left and right on the joystick or the shoulder buttons to turn the car and B to accelerate.

Loads of little masking bugs but should play OK.

HERE YOU GO! ENJOY! ~1mb

really nice looking work your doing ,cant wait for the finished game to give it a try..... :D just a thought , could you have demolistion derby mini game init , or work on a demolistion derby game after this game ,it was just the top down view you have there brought demo\derby to mind.... :blink:

Hmmm, thats an interesting idea. There is an element of demolition derby as in if you hit another car/wall your damage goes up (the CPU cars dont get damaged though).

But an all out Demolition Derby wouldnt be very hard to do.

Looking impressive - the GP2x is in need of some racing games so I look forward to this.

ruckage posted on Dec 22 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
Looking impressive - the GP2x is in need of some racing games so I look forward to this.
excatly what i was thinkin, also, the game looks great (just dled the demo) i cant wait to play it! thanks!

Thanks guys :)

The hardest part isnt finishing the code - its the track design and that final '10%'.

If there are any artists out there who would like to help (unpaid obviously, this is freeware, but full credits) I'd love to hear from you.

how about reverseing \ mirroring and the maps you already have made , reversing doubles the amount of maps, mirroring doubles that again....and doing both together doubles them again ...if you understand me....1 map becomes 4, 2 maps becomes 8 and so on :)

Very nice work, I will download and play the demo this weekend. The track design, naturally, is entirely up to you, but do you think you could include a bunch of rather simplistic tracks in there, that will allow beginners as well as experts fully enjoy your work? For me, the most frustrating part of top-down racing games like Mini cars and Combat cars is that I rarely manage to get past the second level.

Happy coding! :)

- Alex

Redeeman posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:06 PM said:
will this be like supercars? i like that game :) nice work!

Cheers!

To answer you question - ts more like SuperSprint but with a much nicer control and collision system. I LOVE Super Cars 2 though..

fatdad posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
how about reverseing \ mirroring and the maps you already have made , reversing doubles the amount of maps, mirroring doubles that again....and doing both together doubles them again ...if you understand me....1 map becomes 4, 2 maps becomes 8 and so on :)

Yes. Because it psuedo-isometric the only thing that changes is the waypoints for the CPU cars - and thats about 2 mins work and a 1k file.

Alex. posted on Dec 22 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
Very nice work, I will download and play the demo this weekend. The track design, naturally, is entirely up to you, but do you think you could include a bunch of rather simplistic tracks in there, that will allow beginners as well as experts fully enjoy your work? For me, the most frustrating part of top-down racing games like Mini cars and Combat cars is that I rarely manage to get past the second level.

Happy coding! :)

- Alex

Loving AirPlayer Alex. Spot on circle collision/reaction (which is more math than Ill ever know).

Ever thought about a Pool game?

GunPei2X posted on Dec 22 2006 at 09:06 PM said:
Looks brilliant! I loved Power Drive on Amiga/SNES, this looks similar. Nice one, man.

Thank you for that Gun :)

Id never heard of Power Drive but a quick google and Ive got to agree, looks very similar, the actual game its based on is Badlands which was the SuperSprint follow up by Atari. Badlands has weapons though and this wont.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_(video_game)

*edit* typo and link

Just played the demo, Its great. I hope you include a Drift mode where you get points for doing drifts (the demo car seems to like doing drifts)

Back