Powerslide - First Screenshots

sciboy posted on Dec 23 2006 at 09:21 AM said:
I'm interested in doing some tracks, what's the specifics?

That would be fantastic. Its very easy to do a track. All you need is an image editor. Check your PMs :)

DBH posted on Dec 23 2006 at 10:56 AM said:
I could probably model some low poly cars and render them in 3ds max if I get the time, thats if your interested.

Im very interested. Similar sort of angle to the car Ive got and same size (52x45) with 32 directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normmatt posted on Dec 23 2006 at 11:34 AM said:
Just played the demo, Its great. I hope you include a Drift mode where you get points for doing drifts (the demo car seems to like doing drifts)

Thats a great idea. I might use that as a bonus level to earn upgrades. Cheers Norm.

saehn posted on Dec 23 2006 at 02:42 PM said:
Looks great, any chance of allowing configurable skins for the cars?

All you would have to do is replace the relevent file with your car graphic.

Small progress update: Thats the cars going round the circuit and car to car collision done (Im not sure I like it though - might change it - although the way you can cut-up the CPU cars is nice). Moving on to race completion conditions.
After that:drift bonus levels (deffo going to do this - cheers Norm, Ill give you a mention in the credits) and upgrades screen.

Heres the file - ~18k - just replace car.gpe with this new file.

Any feedback on the car collisions would be appreciated. The CPU cars dont collide (the slowest car just holds up everyone else) but I think I know how to get round this.

Yay! in the credits :p

Anyway I've tested your update and its nice to see the card racing around the track and i notice that the only collisions are between your car and the other cars, as in the other cars can go right through each other and one more thing is if you stop in front of all of the cars they go through your car by what looks like a pixel or 3 at a time.

This game is going to rule when it has sound, more tracks and a better AI for your opponents

EDIT: It'd also be nice if in your next update you could add a button combination say VOL DOWN + START to escape back to the main menu as at the moment you need to powercycle

Yea, cars dont collide with each other and if you stop they will eventually go through you. They arent bugs - in normal game conditions you wont want to stop in front of the CPU cars.

As for the CPU cars not colliding with each other - the code is there but the slowest car holds up everyone else if it gets in the lead. Ive got a way around it but its not a priority right now. I want to get a beta out (with a couple of tracks) before Xmas.

a nice game!!! congratulations the gp2x has its first racer!!!! :D

some thoughts to your game:
tire marks during drifts would be nice, smoke too. less buildings but better textures on the track. maybe some smal ramps to jump. i like the smal drifttracks, wich do not reach the size of 4 screens. initiate drifts by handbrake on the shoulderbuttons. If the car inside of the curve barge other cars, these cars should drift off course.

prairiefire posted on Dec 24 2006 at 01:52 AM said:
Nr.56 posted on Dec 23 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
I wouldn't say that to Goity... GoitGP is a sweet racing game.
:eek: my mistake!!
a nice game!!! congratulations the gp2x has its second racer!!!! :D

prairiefire posted on Dec 24 2006 at 12:52 AM said:
Nr.56 posted on Dec 23 2006 at 03:49 PM said:
I wouldn't say that to Goity... GoitGP is a sweet racing game.
:D

Nr.56 posted on Dec 23 2006 at 11:49 PM said:

some thoughts to your game:
tire marks during drifts would be nice, smoke too. less buildings but better textures on the track. maybe some smal ramps to jump. i like the smal drifttracks, wich do not reach the size of 4 screens. initiate drifts by handbrake on the shoulderbuttons. If the car inside of the curve barge other cars, these cars should drift off course.

Thanks for the comments :) Tyre marks, smoke and ramps - maybe Powerslide 2 - Im more concerned about getting the thing finished now - everything in the demo is what will be in the game, gameplay wise (except the drift tracks and yes, they will be smaller than a normal track - and its only the player on a drift track). Sorry.

GoityGeePee is excellent btw - get it d.loaded Nr.56!

Unfathomable Depths posted on Dec 24 2006 at 10:09 AM said:
Thanks for the comments :) Tyre marks, smoke and ramps - maybe Powerslide 2 - Im more concerned about getting the thing finished now - everything in the demo is what will be in the game, gameplay wise (except the drift tracks and yes, they will be smaller than a normal track - and its only the player on a drift track). Sorry.

GoityGeePee is excellent btw - get it d.loaded Nr.56!

GoityGeePee is not really comparable with your game!!! ;)
One of my favorite games is neodriftout . Powerslide could be (sometime) such a game in a urban environment.
:D NFS-Underground in neodriftout-style :D (without any tuning) you get points for victories and get better cars instead of money (or win cars directly in drift-duels). Later in the game you can choose the best car of your collection for the current track.
just thoughts (or maybe wishes for powerslide 2.0) ;)

slygamer posted on Dec 24 2006 at 11:22 AM said:
So it's nothing like Powerslide by Ratbag Games on the PC several years ago. Nice work anyway. Getting something this far is a worthy achievement itself.

Never played it - quick google tells me its a 3D racer. Ill need to find that game now and rename my game to Powerslider GP2X or something :p

Thanks for the comments.

BTW - Im not gonna get a beta out today. 27th is going to be the earliest beta. Sorry - unexpected guests.

great game, a few suggestions....

cars move faster (mabey if its set at like 3 put ir to 4 or 5)
add a brake button (helps with drifting mechanics) also for reverse
downhill courses (as an initial D/drifting fan, i think this game would be great with a downhill drifting course, or just a point a to point b course with alot of tight turns)

other than that, the game is very fun, the controls are good and the AI seems pretty good cant wait to see the final version

Goemon4 posted on Dec 24 2006 at 05:46 PM said:
great game, a few suggestions....

cars move faster (mabey if its set at like 3 put ir to 4 or 5)
add a brake button (helps with drifting mechanics) also for reverse
downhill courses (as an initial D/drifting fan, i think this game would be great with a downhill drifting course, or just a point a to point b course with alot of tight turns)

other than that, the game is very fun, the controls are good and the AI seems pretty good cant wait to see the final version

Goemon - thanks for taking the time to have a play with the demo and posting some feedback, I really appreciate it :)

cars move faster - yea, its easy to beat those cars in the demo. I havent started on track design yet and thats what will make or break it as a game. The CPU cars AI is tied to track design - Ill code it all up then make some tracks. Hopefully those tracks will be playable but I think opening up the track design specs will give it some longevity.

brake button - nope, sorry - very easy to put in but its a gameplay choice from me, letting go accelerate slows you. Powersliding is what its about.

uphill/downhill/under/over - not this version ;) - Im relying on 'found' graphics. If I had, say, someone who could do all the variations of the car (flat, jumping, uphill, downhill etc) and also had decent ideas about gameplay THEN we could see something approaching a commercial quality game.

Brilliant game! I agree that the AI cars do obviously need to go faster, but it's still a great demo.

Maybe add a hand brake? Locks up the rear tires for slides. Point to Point races would be really cool too.

I'm an artist and I would be happy to help with tracks and user interface design.

EDIT: Just noticed your post. I'll try my hand at some car sprites.

Racer (and everyone else who wants to try track design) - car sprites are important to the next version of this. But right now I need tracks - take a look at the files that come with the demo - track.png is displays under the car, overlay.png is displayed over the car, mask.png is what the car will collide with.

Make some and replace the ones in the demo. Forget about the CPU cars - they have no idea of the track - they go from point to point predescribed to them.

Back