Powerslide - First Screenshots

The wait is always worth it when it comes to great homebrew :)

- Alex

i made this the other day...feel free to use it or not use it. unfortunately i haven't had time to do more and i don't think i will any time soon. but basically i was just trying to make a slightly slicker version of what you already have...i wanted to get some kind of a trophy in there but...anyway you can probably use the "a to continue" part in various places.

slide1st.png

edit: ha...just noticed it isn't even centered. sorry about that. i did it in illustrator and brought it into photoshop and cropped it.

depths, check this out: http://john.quarkct.com/ps/track1.zip

i was just playing around with making a track because it occured to me that i had a pretty quick way to do it.

keep in mind:
- didn't really bother with overlays yet
- made the lane marker too wide
- didn't draw far beyond the actual track, leaves black on the sides :)
- got the starting position wrong

anyway, i'm interested in making a few tracks, but i need to know some things before i start. first, where exactly is the starting position? is it a function of how large the map is? does the size of the map matter? and anything else that i would need to know as far as graphics constraints.

The link doesnt work :(

But that would be tremendous if youd like to do some tracks - mines are rubbish.

To answer your questions:
The starting position is where ever you want it.
Tracks can be any size.
Only real constraint is if you just draw a track and hand it to me it would take me an age to do a collision mask for it and then seperate the overlay.

My advice is do the track in monochrome with black for the track and use that as the collision mask, then build the graphics around that. Do the overlay last.

whoops, sorry.
http://john.quarkct.com/gp2x/ps/track1.zip

oh yeah, i wasn't planning on just drawing them without doing the masks. i understand the format pretty well i think, it's fairly simple. i'm just wondering how you tell the game where the cars start? is that hard-coded or is there a file i've overlooked? also, can the cars start at any angle or just 0 degrees?

Oh yea, sorry, I misunderstood.

Its hard coded - I started a track editor but it turned into a nightmare and put me back over a week so I just hardcoded everything for the sake of speed.

Thats a nice track. Far better than mine. Thanks rok - please make more :)

Btw im not sure its obvious to anyone else but the track CAN cross itself. Just not as a bridge or underpass - thats for Powerslide 2 ;)

Oh and yes - any angle.

Don't know if its of interest, but you can embed text in png files..

You could probably put in something like:
x1=200,y1=300,d1=90;x2=220,y2=300,d2=90; etc for the car start positions/angle?
and grab that out of the png file when you load the track.

I wrote some Allegro code to strip out that info 6 months ago or so for another use; just a thought. :)

Format Spec: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/1.2/PNG-Chunks.html Section 4.2.3.

Kev

ok, i'll email you this weekend (got RL stuff tonight, and I obviously can't get started while I'm still at work :))

for those interested in doing some the same way, i just used the path stuff in photoshop combined with stroke path (is it obvious?). that allowed me to create the track as well as the mask easily. then there's a layer of dirt (basically just the stroke path but with a different brush) and the very back layer is grass.

So ,I have tested this little Game and for an Alpha it's nice. :)
Track's are a little strange because of isometric Buildings and not isometric track field but I know it's a Alpha.
And it seems, that I have no driving talent, never was 1. :lol:

A Track-Editor would be great. In the way of the old DOS "Stunts" aka "4D Sports Driving" -Anyone know this superb classic Game?

Other suggestions:
-arrows or a kind of hint where the right driving direction is
-and "wrong direction" hint ;)
-a little bit better Overview in the Maps (Minimap somewhere? maybe with little "dots" for the other cars in? )
-yes, better graphics. I know a little Photoshopping but I have to explore first what the game need for kinds of graphic-formats and how all that work together (or not). Seems, rokdcasbah and the others are quicker with that then me :lol:
-jumps, dirt, bridges, "GP2X"-banners on the Tracks, people you can drive over....um.... sorry...^^

I have to explore first what the game need for kinds of graphic-formats

there are three files, one called trackX, one called trackXmask, and one called trackXoverlay, where X is a number. they are png files. i believe the game will load both indexed and true color pngs but the indexed are way smaller obviously. the mask only needs black and white pixels and tells the game where the car can travel. the overlay sits on top of everything and doesn't influence collision...any black pixels are treated as transparent. the remaining file has most of the artwork in it. i was able to make a track using photoshop's path stuff and using "stroke path" a lot but i think i'm going to try with illustrator next, as i always seem to get better results with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So ,I have tested this little Game and for an Alpha it's nice. :)
Track's are a little strange because of isometric Buildings and not isometric track field but I know it's a Alpha.
And it seems, that I have no driving talent, never was 1. :lol:

A Track-Editor would be great. In the way of the old DOS "Stunts" aka "4D Sports Driving" -Anyone know this superb classic Game?

Other suggestions:
-arrows or a kind of hint where the right driving direction is
-and "wrong direction" hint ;)
-a little bit better Overview in the Maps (Minimap somewhere? maybe with little "dots" for the other cars in? )
-yes, better graphics. I know a little Photoshopping but I have to explore first what the game need for kinds of graphic-formats and how all that work together (or not). Seems, rokdcasbah and the others are quicker with that then me :lol:
-jumps, dirt, bridges, "GP2X"-banners on the Tracks, people you can drive over....um.... sorry...^^

You stole the words right out of my mouth. You don't have a brain wave transmitter in my head do you? Oh my god! Her's doing it again! :lol:

I have to explore first what the game need for kinds of graphic-formats

there are three files, one called trackX, one called trackXmask, and one called trackXoverlay, where X is a number. they are png files. i believe the game will load both indexed and true color pngs but the indexed are way smaller obviously. the mask only needs black and white pixels and tells the game where the car can travel. the overlay sits on top of everything and doesn't influence collision...any black pixels are treated as transparent. the remaining file has most of the artwork in it. i was able to make a track using photoshop's path stuff and using "stroke path" a lot but i think i'm going to try with illustrator next, as i always seem to get better results with that.
Ok. the 3. File is for Buildings and things to cover the cars when you drive behind. ^^
Not bad but with the current system you have to design the whole Map at once. Useful only because it can have any sort of custom graphics in.
A "tile based" editor like the one in "Stunts" would be more flexible and faster for designing tracks but it would need different "tile sets" for different track graphics. Hmmm...

You stole the words right out of my mouth. You don't have a brain wave transmitter in my head do you? Oh my god! Her's doing it again! :lol:
ph34r my mysterious Fusion-brain-reading-1337-Skills! :lol:

Uhm I forgot a important game-Feature: Highscores! Scores for drift, crash or no crash or whatever... ^^

The coding is done. The tracks are done (all 9). The sound is done (SDL_Mixer doesnt allow you to change pitch - essential for engine noises - so the sound is very rudimentary). Just got to balance out the game difficulty and thats that.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments and took time to have a play :)

Ohh and high scores are out. Best track times instead.

Ok, forgive me for being a idiot, but where abouts is the final game downloadable from?

I went back a few posts and found the beta, which played very well, but it only had two tracks, so I know that's not the finished version.

Thanks!

Back