Pp: Porta-portals

idjit626

So I liked portal, and I was thinking, why not get some people together and make our own portal on the Pandora?

I think it would be best to make a 2D portal like the flash portal game. That was awesome!

Anybody? ;)

Viking said:
So I liked portal, and I was thinking, why not get some people together and make our own portal on the Pandora?

I think it would be best to make a 2D portal like the flash portal game. That was awesome!

Anybody? ;)
Bricks = shat.

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:
And the author isn't even sure he's going to make it Open-Source anyway. :(

It's a pretty simple concept. Would not be all that hard to make for someone with half decient 3d coding skills. Play portal and listen to all the commentary and you might pick up on a few ideas on how the technical side of things works too.

The creators of portal made a simple 3d game using portals before they were hired by Valve. (Though from what i've read the character in that had no knees and couldn't jump.... wierd)

Zarneth said:
javaJake said:
And the author isn't even sure he's going to make it Open-Source anyway. :(

It's a pretty simple concept. Would not be all that hard to make for someone with half decient 3d coding skills. Play portal and listen to all the commentary and you might pick up on a few ideas on how the technical side of things works too.

The creators of portal made a simple 3d game using portals before they were hired by Valve. (Though from what i've read the character in that had no knees and couldn't jump.... wierd)
Narbacular drop!

Good heavens! I have heard about portal before but never seen it or played it. This project though looks even more astonishing. I hope this will be released as open source. I don't think the pandora would be capable of it though. All those physics, 3d scaling and stuff look like they need a lot of processing power.

It uses the Ogre3d engine, which iirc, is written in C++ and requires OGL 1.2.1. you'd have to rewrite the core of it to use the shader engine of the OGL2.0ES system (again, if i recall correctly, it's NOT backward compatable, and it's an entirely new engine.)

That being said, That's going to be totally badass once it's done.

The author isn't sure he's going opensource. Here's his words:

nullsquared said:
and the "big" question, open sourceness. I'm not quite sure. Whatever license I put on the code, there'll be n00bs that will be annoying and I'll hate to deal with. Mahalis (whom I respect greatly, he's the GMod Portal SWEP guy) advised me to not release it. I'm a bit 50%/50% on the decision... maybe only over SVN to "filter" n00bs. Maybe nothing. One thing that you'll find for sure, though, is a paper describing all of the techniques used. Including the portals and the rest of the physics, and some of the rendering (lighting through portals which is planned, etc.). There's also tons of Lua to be finished (right now just the portals and "some" physics are Lua-scriptable) which is "open source", of course, and lots of shaders which I'm planning on releasing as "learning resources", especially for Ogre3D users.

And... I think that's it so far. Neat blog :). Also, I'm a bit all over the place with random posts on gamedev/ogre3d/newtongd/facepunch, and not everything is the same across my posts (posting times are different, my facepunch threads are most recent)... rofl.

My email is nullsquared over at google's mail, if you want me. I'd put in "Google/Blogger" identity, but I don't like giving out my username + password to blogging sites ;).
(Source)

Back