Release Prboom With Picklelauncher For Pandora

Shaokahn said:
Is it possible to have an Option to change the Text Color to White or other Colors ?
because the most Background Pictures that i have found are dark :(

At some point I will try to make as many things configurable by file

The next big feature is folder browsing is working so no longer is the launcher fixed to one location. But there are some issues caused by this so I need a little more time to cleanup and fix for a proper release.
I also am very close to having an profile option to link iwads to a main wad automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
new version here http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,78

only picklelauncher updates, delete your profile.txt or it wont work (thinking about doing the auto)

This is a pretty big update.
File browser to any directory (based on the filepath in the profile.txt) for example if you keep ./ you cant go any higher
Extension based config, meaning multiple extensions with their own arguments and executable
Arg swapping, which is how secondary wads are supported. I include a line for the folder iwads, create it and put all your iwads that need doom2.wad in there and the launch the tool and it should launch them correctly

buttons on the side, first 4 move the selector in the list, last 2 move up or down a directory

yet another update pickle.gp2x.de/prboom.pnd

A lot of nice fixes and tweaks in the version.
Big change with this one is an addition of a config file.

Feedback welcome ;-)

Pickle said:
new version here http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,78

only picklelauncher updates, delete your profile.txt or it wont work (thinking about doing the auto)

File browser to any directory (based on the filepath in the profile.txt) for example if you keep ./ you cant go any higher
Extension based config, meaning multiple extensions with their own arguments and executable
Arg swapping, which is how secondary wads are supported. I include a line for the folder iwads, create it and put all your iwads that need doom2.wad in there and the launch the tool and it should launch them correctly

buttons on the side, first 4 move the selector in the list, last 2 move up or down a directory
For those buttons on the side I assume you have to use the touchscreen to do those.

My opinion for any kind of launcher is that everything should be accessable with the d-pad as well. It is not convenient to always pull out the stylus to change an option and many don't like to smudge up the screen with fingers. The nubs can be awkward to use as dragging the pointer around is time consuming and often kind of spastic especially if you have common nub issues. I suggest changing the layout so that d-pad can also perform any function that the other methods do.

How do you get PRboom to recognize the timidity instruments? I put the Timidity dir in a directory in appdata called "timidity" , I put the timidity.cfg in the prboom dir in appdata. Is there some place that you tell prboom where to find the instruments? Where do I put the path?

Nice to see updates.

DaveC said:
Pickle said:
new version here http://dl.openhandhe...i?0,0,0,0,30,78

For those buttons on the side I assume you have to use the touchscreen to do those.

My opinion for any kind of launcher is that everything should be accessable with the d-pad as well. It is not convenient to always pull out the stylus to change an option and many don't like to smudge up the screen with fingers. The nubs can be awkward to use as dragging the pointer around is time consuming and often kind of spastic especially if you have common nub issues. I suggest changing the layout so that d-pad can also perform any function that the other methods do.

How do you get PRboom to recognize the timidity instruments? I put the Timidity dir in a directory in appdata called "timidity" , I put the timidity.cfg in the prboom dir in appdata. Is there some place that you tell prboom where to find the instruments? Where do I put the path?

Nice to see updates.
I take it you got it working since your edit? (I think this is because the config.txt hadnt been created on the first load, this has been fixed since the pandora release.

All of the button actions are controllable through keys. The dpad does item movement, up=one up down=one down left=up 10 right down 10. The shoulders are supposed to do dir up and dir down (might not be working). All controls should now be remappable in the config.txt.

For timidity the path is in the timidity.cfg

Pickle said:
For timidity the path is in the timidity.cfg
Where? How? I don't know the syntax for this sort of stuff. Is it a line at the beginning or do you need to edit every single instrument path?

Hey DaveC!

This is how I got the sound working:

My sd card is called "PANDORA".
In the root directory of the sd card I made a folder called "timidity" and put all the instrument files from the timidity archive etc in it.
Then you have to put the timidity.cfg into your prboom folder (found at: /pandora/appdata/prboom) and open the timidity.cfg file.
Then add following line "dir /mnt/media/PANDORA/timidity/" right on top; in the first line of the cfg file.
So you end up with something like this:

dir /mnt/media/PANDORA/timidity/

#this is were the readme starts (yes you have to type this above all the other text)
#blabla

bank 0
0 instruments/acpiano amp=125
etc. etc.

:) Hope this helps!

Nupfi said:
Hey DaveC!
dir /mnt/media/PANDORA/timidity/

#this is were the readme starts (yes you have to type this above all the other text)
#blabla

bank 0
0 instruments/acpiano amp=125
etc. etc.

:) Hope this helps!
Thanks I will try that.

EDIT: Still doesn't work for me. I put the path to the instruments like you said (changing to my location) and no music. Not sure why it is so hard to get working. BAH!

Ok, so I decided to upload my settings and files for all of you that just can't get the music working.
First, download this rar file containing everything you need: http://uploaded.to/file/qgqi2x

Inside you will find two rar packages;

1.) "put in pandora appdata prboom.rar" contains the timidity.cfg file. Go ahead and extract the file to pandora/appdata/prboom.
Now open the file and replace YOURNAMEOFSDCARD with your SD cards name. :) Mine was "PANDORA"; don't know if this is case sensitive or not; but should'nt hurt to keep that in mind! :)
Save.

2.) "put in root of sd card.rar" contains the timidity folder with all the instrument patches. Simply put this folder (! the whole folder, nut just the instrument files) into the root of your SD card.
Done. Music should be working by now. :)

I'm really enjoying Doom on the Pandora, thanks for all the great work Pickle.

Got a couple of questions though :

I'm getting quite a lot of screen tearing, is there any way to enable vsync?

The quality of the textures is quite poor, especially for the monsters, is this related to my wads or are the textures part of Prboom? Either way is there a method to use higher quality textures?

Just a side note for anyone having trouble with running their wads, I found that renaming the .WAD files to lowercase i.e. .wad made them discoverable by the launcher.

Mr Loon said:
I'm really enjoying Doom on the Pandora, thanks for all the great work Pickle.

Got a couple of questions though :

I'm getting quite a lot of screen tearing, is there any way to enable vsync?

The quality of the textures is quite poor, especially for the monsters, is this related to my wads or are the textures part of Prboom? Either way is there a method to use higher quality textures?

Just a side note for anyone having trouble with running their wads, I found that renaming the .WAD files to lowercase i.e. .wad made them discoverable by the launcher.

i might be able to do vsync for the opengl render
there's no way i know of to enhance the textures, you could try different texture filtering though

Yeah the case sensitivity of the filenames was a issue, but has been fixed in my working source to at some point either should be detected.

Hey Pickle, there are some hi res textures that work with zdoom. Can they be made to work with prboom, what's your thoughts? The downloads are here http://forums.yaa.dk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=69 .
Here's the topic from the GP2X section about it with some pics http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53379-doom-enhanced/ .

Orion4874 said:
Hey Pickle, there are some hi res textures that work with zdoom. Can they be made to work with prboom, what's your thoughts? The downloads are here http://forums.yaa.dk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=69 .
Here's the topic from the GP2X section about it with some pics http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53379-doom-enhanced/ .

Would be great if it is possible, just makes it a bit more eye pleasing when playing (and more of an incentive to play, for me at least).

Dead1nside said:
Orion4874 said:
Hey Pickle, there are some hi res textures that work with zdoom. Can they be made to work with prboom, what's your thoughts? The downloads are here http://forums.yaa.dk...c.php?f=32&t=69 .
Here's the topic from the GP2X section about it with some pics http://www.gp32x.de...-doom-enhanced/ .

Would be great if it is possible, just makes it a bit more eye pleasing when playing (and more of an incentive to play, for me at least).

Really I dont have time for this kind of change, it would better off porting the other engine, but ive got enough projects and things im working on like the launcher itself.

Pickle said:
Dead1nside said:
Orion4874 said:
Hey Pickle, there are some hi res textures that work with zdoom. Can they be made to work with prboom, what's your thoughts? The downloads are here http://forums.yaa.dk...c.php?f=32&t=69 .
Here's the topic from the GP2X section about it with some pics http://www.gp32x.de...-doom-enhanced/ .

Really I dont have time for this kind of change, it would better off porting the other engine, but ive got enough projects and things im working on like the launcher itself.
I just wanted to know if these could just be inserted by anyone but this statement from Doomworld.com just answered it.

"Classic PrBoom and PrBoom-Plus before 2.5.0.2 have no support for hi-res textures in wad - do not use it".

Pickle said:

No worries Pickle, the game itself is of course the most important thing, playing on the Pandora has reawakened my love of Doom, forgot what a true classic Doom 2 was.

The launcher is great by the way. It would be nice to see it become a standard front end for Pandora emulators.

Mr Loon said:
Pickle said:

No worries Pickle, the game itself is of course the most important thing, playing on the Pandora has reawakened my love of Doom, forgot what a true classic Doom 2 was.

The launcher is great by the way. It would be nice to see it become a standard front end for Pandora emulators.

yeah it started out a frontend for prboom (but I had in my mind that it can work for any command line type app), ive been surprised by some of the other things its been used for, like the gph flashplayer.

Hey pickle, did you plan to implement speeding up scrolling through the rom list?
Also is it possible to add hittting another letter to narrow the search? Eg hitting S for to take you to Roms starting with S then hitting E to take you to Rome starting with SE. That make sense?

Thanks for your work

jonlad1 said:
Hey pickle, did you plan to implement speeding up scrolling through the rom list?
Also is it possible to add hittting another letter to narrow the search? Eg hitting S for to take you to Roms starting with S then hitting E to take you to Rome starting with SE. That make sense?

Thanks for your work

I can speed the up/down actions a little bit. the quick letters are already working

Back