Beta Quake 1 (Zquake With Gles)

DoubléDash said:
I can't get past the pickelauncher screen...although the 'id1' folder is listed in picklelauncher and I copied in pak0.pak and pak1.pak from the original quake cd. No mouse so pressed enter on launcher screen hoping to start quake.......goes away for a moment and then returns to the launcher screen. Perhaps it is erroring, but where would I find the error. One other piece of info. I was trying to explore the opengls demos today and these also bombed out, perhaps my gles setup is not quite right?

theres a logfile in /tmp can you paste it there or pastbin it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pickle

Here's the error file....

zquake

I should probably note that I am running the OS off SD1 and have installed the pnd/files to SD2.

Pickle

It looks like restoring to a nand boot scenario allows your launcher/something else to get access to what it needs...game runs when doing this :)

Esn said:
Is the music MIDI by any chance?

No, the original engine used CD Audio for music. Later, 3rd party quake engines based on the quake source can generally handle mp3; I don't know if zQuake supports that.

D.

Hi,

Any news regarding the brightness issue ?

I've played with a custom autoexec.cfg file, without luck :(

From ZQuake official website:

contrast (default 1)   [CONT. | LIST.]
Screen brightness in software mode.
gl_contrast [0..1]   [CONT. | LIST.]
Controls screen brightness in GL.

gl_gamma   [CONT. | LIST.]
Controls gamma in GL, only works in fullscreen mode and only if your video card supports the SetDeviceGammaRamp function (Voodoo cards don't).
vid_hwgammacontrol [0-1]   [CONT. | LIST.]
Set to 0 to disables hardware gamma control. (GL) palette flashes are applied to all of the screen unless hwgmma is not present or disabled.
Bye, and thanks anyway Pickle for your work on Quake :)

Magic Sam

Magic Sam said:
Hi,

Any news regarding the brightness issue ?

I've played with a custom autoexec.cfg file, without luck :(

Bye, and thanks anyway Pickle for your work on Quake :)

Magic Sam

found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/139012/tweak-the-brightness-gamma-of-the-whole-scene-in-opengl

It would be possible to try to draw a quad over the scene, dont know when I would be able to try it as im working on things already.

DoubléDash said:
I can't get past the pickelauncher screen...although the 'id1' folder is listed in picklelauncher and I copied in pak0.pak and pak1.pak from the original quake cd. No mouse so pressed enter on launcher screen hoping to start quake.......goes away for a moment and then returns to the launcher screen. Perhaps it is erroring, but where would I find the error. One other piece of info. I was trying to explore the opengls demos today and these also bombed out, perhaps my gles setup is not quite right?

I have the same problem. This is the log created when I run it: http://pastebin.com/55MxS3N3

Any suggestions?

Also, is CD music supported in any way?

doragasu said:
DoubléDash said:

I have the same problem. This is the log created when I run it: http://pastebin.com/55MxS3N3

Any suggestions?

The important part from your log:
Code:
Error: Couldn't find gfx.wad.
Make sure you start ZQuake from your Quake directory or use -basedir <path>

Something is up with the data files:

From http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Quake-HOWTO/

Files not lowercased or Data files missing. Linux Quake requires (most) filenames to be in lowercase. If you get an error similar to "Error: W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad" it means the game can't find the data files, possibly because they are not all lowercase.

Pickle said:
doragasu said:
DoubléDash said:

Any suggestions?

The important part from your log:
Code:
Error: Couldn't find gfx.wad.
Make sure you start ZQuake from your Quake directory or use -basedir <path>

Something is up with the data files:

From http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Quake-HOWTO/

Files not lowercased or Data files missing. Linux Quake requires (most) filenames to be in lowercase. If you get an error similar to "Error: W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad" it means the game can't find the data files, possibly because they are not all lowercase.

That was the problem. Thanks a lot!

Also, is CD music supported in any way? Can I put MP3 files anywhere and get the music to play?

doragasu said:
That was the problem. Thanks a lot!

Also, is CD music supported in any way? Can I put MP3 files anywhere and get the music to play?

I doubt cd's are supported, i didnt add support for it. Not sure on mp3 either, its more likely. Zquake was a minimalist engine and that what i was aiming for the port.

Hi. I apologize for bumping this two month-old thread, but I didn't want to start a new topic for this. My question is regarding how to free more ram. I have all the pak files and everything, but when I select edit item it gives me a list of things to edit for the game, (such as CPU Speed) but when I choose the memory option, it says: "Error. Check Log File." But when i go to check it in pandora/appdata/quake1, I don't see a log file - And I've checked all the other folders too. So, how can I change the ram from the default 32 megs to 96 megs? Any help is appreciated!
P.S: I've contacted pickle via PM about three days ago, but he hasn't replied (yet).

-Thanks
Jastolze

Railguy123 said:
Hi. I apologize for bumping this two month-old thread, but I didn't want to start a new topic for this. My question is regarding how to free more ram. I have all the pak files and everything, but when I select edit item it gives me a list of things to edit for the game, (such as CPU Speed) but when I choose the memory option, it says: "Error. Check Log File." But when i go to check it in pandora/appdata/quake1, I don't see a log file - And I've checked all the other folders too. So, how can I change the ram from the default 32 megs to 96 megs? Any help is appreciated!
P.S: I've contacted pickle via PM about three days ago, but he hasn't replied (yet).

-Thanks
Jastolze

Better to bump the thread than to PM me, in my opinion ;-)

The argument should be -mem ##, like -mem 32. The log file output is probably being piped by the pnd system. So try looking in /tmp for the logfile. If the memory option works right it should give you a couple up options, it may go to 64. I dont remember, but you can add your own amounts on the profile.txt for the launcher, and that should be in the appdata folder.
If you keep getting that check the log message its most likely a bug which may or may not be fixed in the most recent source. It has been awhile since that release and I have fixed things.

Pickle said:
Railguy123 said:

-Thanks
Jastolze

Better to bump the thread than to PM me, in my opinion ;-)

The argument should be -mem ##, like -mem 32. The log file output is probably being piped by the pnd system. So try looking in /tmp for the logfile. If the memory option works right it should give you a couple up options, it may go to 64. I dont remember, but you can add your own amounts on the profile.txt for the launcher, and that should be in the appdata folder.
If you keep getting that check the log message its most likely a bug which may or may not be fixed in the most recent source. It has been awhile since that release and I have fixed things.
Hey, thanks for replying. After I edited profile.txt and ran the pnd file it just quit immediately, I tried 96 megs of ram, or is that too much? Also, I can't access the keyboard for quake 3, it says tty console has been disabled... How can I enable it? I really want to run Open Arena via the mod menu. It worked on my psp's quake 3 port. Oh, and why am I able to see through walls in-game? It's annoying because when i think I'm going forward, I'm really just running into a wall. How can I fix this??? Thanks for your help, Pickle! :)

Jastolze

Railguy123 said:
Hey, thanks for replying. After I edited profile.txt and ran the pnd file it just quit immediately, I tried 96 megs of ram, or is that too much? Also, I can't access the keyboard for quake 3, it says tty console has been disabled... How can I enable it? I really want to run Open Arena via the mod menu. It worked on my psp's quake 3 port. Oh, and why am I able to see through walls in-game? It's annoying because when i think I'm going forward, I'm really just running into a wall. How can I fix this??? Thanks for your help, Pickle! :)

Jastolze

I have no idea why it quit, also it isnt clear when you mean that it quit, when you tried to start the launcher, or when you tried to launch quake3?
I did a half job on the controls for q3, or at least i havnt gotten back to fixing them up, maybe that is control issue. But i thought keyboard mappings worked, you might need to change the ~ to something else if that can be done in the autoexe.cfg or something.
The ioquake3 has the wall issue, dont know why. The nanogl does not have any issues.

Pickle said:
Railguy123 said:

Jastolze

I have no idea why it quit, also it isnt clear when you mean that it quit, when you tried to start the launcher, or when you tried to launch quake3?
I did a half job on the controls for q3, or at least i havnt gotten back to fixing them up, maybe that is control issue. But i thought keyboard mappings worked, you might need to change the ~ to something else if that can be done in the autoexe.cfg or something.
The ioquake3 has the wall issue, dont know why. The nanogl does not have any issues.
Oh, sorry. I meant quake 1 was quitting on me - everything else was about quake 3. I think I know why it did that. Normally, I open the profile.txt with notepad, but last time I opened it with MS Word 2007, and that completely changed the format of the text. I wonder how to make a fresh profile.txt so I can try it differently this time.

Thanks,
Jastolze

Pickle said:
If you delete it from the appdata it will be recopied from within the pnd back to the appdata
K, thanks. I was wondering if there's any way to activate the console commands in Quake 3. I've tried binding them to keys, (like bind "g" /god, after activating the /devmap command) I've even tried it from the Q3CMD.INI file and the autoexec.cfg, but nothing changes. Also, none of my custom maps appear on the list of Quake 3 maps. I've stuck the map (simp4.pk3) everywhere I could possibly think of inside a maps folder. It's better now that I don't see through walls, but are you planning to make a release 4 of quake 3, because this game was almost the sole reason I got a pandora. I've also googled the issue I had, and it appears to happen on only Linux ports. Link is here: http://icculus.org/pipermail/quake3-bugzilla/2009-November/001361.html
If you know anything, please don't hesitate to notify me.

Thanks again,
Jastolze

Railguy123 said:
Pickle said:
If you delete it from the appdata it will be recopied from within the pnd back to the appdata
K, thanks. I was wondering if there's any way to activate the console commands in Quake 3. I've tried binding them to keys, (like bind "g" /god, after activating the /devmap command) I've even tried it from the Q3CMD.INI file and the autoexec.cfg, but nothing changes. Also, none of my custom maps appear on the list of Quake 3 maps. I've stuck the map (simp4.pk3) everywhere I could possibly think of inside a maps folder. It's better now that I don't see through walls, but are you planning to make a release 4 of quake 3, because this game was almost the sole reason I got a pandora. I've also googled the issue I had, and it appears to happen on only Linux ports. Link is here: http://icculus.org/p...ber/001361.html
If you know anything, please don't hesitate to notify me.

Thanks again,
Jastolze

I dont know

Back