Pre-ordering concerns

Everyone gets it wrong because they don't understand very basic maths. Sad really.

If one apple costs £199 including VAT at 17.5%. How much do you pay if you are expempt from VAT?

- A : 199 * 0.825 = £164.18
- B : 199/1.175 = £169.36
- C : 199 - (2*17.5) = £165

hotblack said:
Everyone gets it wrong because they don't understand very basic maths. Sad really.

If one apple costs £199 including VAT at 17.5%. How much do you pay if you are expempt from VAT?

D) None of the above, as none of the above, when VAT at 17.5% is added, equal your price of £199 :)

Closest is £198.998 because rounding errors suck :D

(When it comes to tax, they always seem to round up, but when it comes to giving you money back, they always seem to round down...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
hotblack said:

D) None of the above, as none of the above, when VAT at 17.5% is added, equal your price of £199 :)

Closest is £198.998 because rounding errors suck :D

(When it comes to tax, they always seem to round up, but when it comes to giving you money back, they always seem to round down...)

Not agree in good seller you fix final price with VAT and calculate VAT after :)

TaG said:
Gilrad said:
I sorta hope I could take advantage of the ailing dollar and buy it for $330 USD... It's damn near fallen to a 100:1 ratio now!
100:1? That would make it £3.30. I'll have a shed load at that price. ;)
I was referring to the Yen to dollars rate (as I had established I am ordering from Japan). Usually floats around 120:1, but the dollar has really been taking a beating lately.

Gilrad said:
TaG said:
Gilrad said:
I sorta hope I could take advantage of the ailing dollar and buy it for $330 USD... It's damn near fallen to a 100:1 ratio now!
100:1? That would make it £3.30. I'll have a shed load at that price. ;)
I was referring to the Yen to dollars rate (as I had established I am ordering from Japan). Usually floats around 120:1, but the dollar has really been taking a beating lately.
When is this "lately" you're referring to? The dollar has been steadily rising since mid-July, especially in comparison to other currencies who aren't faring so well.

EDIT: Never mind, not for you at least. :D

Squidge said:
Tom` said:
Is the pre-order price going to be fixed to the UK price (£200 - 17.5% VAT = £165) such that it will end up
How come everyone gets this wrong? £200 - 17.5% is not £165. It's £170.22. If your not in the UK, you will not be paying the UK VAT rate, but the rate applicable to you.
I apologize - my calculation went something like "£200 - (£200 * 0.175) = £165." Apparently that means I fail at basic math. Sorry. Didn't mean to perpetuate ignorance...

I think I'll start getting pissed if they delay the release date after we've preordered. That's when I'll get pissed. Otherwise, it will be piss-free for me.

Gruso said:
It should be noted that converting from GBP (sans VAT) currently works out about $33AUD less than converting from USD. Which puts it well under the $400 mark. :)

Fine. Then type "169 British pounds in <your local currency here>" into a Google search box and it will give you the answer.

With those estimations in mind, Chip, I wonder if the price of Pandora will change again based on the latest trends of currencies. I mean, a nominal change in currency value was enough to bump the price of Pandora up $10 for those of us using the dollar; seeing as it's now gone $30 in the other direction, shouldn't launch prices accommodate this change? Of course I realize prices can't be changed willy-nilly all the time based on slight market technicalities, but $30 is a considerable drop.

Chip said:
Gruso said:
It should be noted that converting from GBP (sans VAT) currently works out about $33AUD less than converting from USD. Which puts it well under the $400 mark. :)

Fine. Then type "169 British pounds in <your local currency here>" into a Google search box and it will give you the answer.

Oh I did. I was just giving a heads up to anyone who might have seen the USD conversion and freaked out about the $400+ price.

For the benefit of everyone else, here is the (current) price in AUD.

Gruso said:
Chip said:
Gruso said:

Oh I did. I was just giving a heads up to anyone who might have seen the USD conversion and freaked out about the $400+ price.

For the benefit of everyone else, here is the (current) price in AUD.

google seems to be not working for me there...
when i changed aud to usd, it said $303 and change...and then when i put in 200 gbp in usd, it gave me 350 dollars...am i doing it wrong?

magicman5421 said:
when i changed aud to usd, it said $303 and change...and then when i put in 200 gbp in usd, it gave me 350 dollars...am i doing it wrong?

No, you're doing it right.

200GBP - Price of Pandora after VAT (Like sales tax - only applicable for the UK)
170GBP - Price of Pandora before VAT (Your local VAT / sales tax is applied on top of this)

When the prices were set, 170GBP was ~ $330USD. Currencies have shifted a bit since then, but the price on the main page hasn't changed, so we're going by that. 170GBP was ~ 212eu at that time, and is now closer to 215eu.

Nearly all credit cards will automatically convert currencies for you when purchasing something overseas. Paypal does this too. No matter where you live, the price will be 170GBP in your local currency at the time you make the purchase.

Chip said:
magicman5421 said:

No, you're doing it right.

200GBP - Price of Pandora after VAT (Like sales tax - only applicable for the UK)
170GBP - Price of Pandora before VAT (Your local VAT / sales tax is applied on top of this)

When the prices were set, 170GBP was ~ $330USD. Currencies have shifted a bit since then, but the price on the main page hasn't changed, so we're going by that. 170GBP was ~ 212eu at that time, and is now closer to 215eu.

Nearly all credit cards will automatically convert currencies for you when purchasing something overseas. Paypal does this too. No matter where you live, the price will be 170GBP in your local currency at the time you make the purchase.
So.... The USD price should be cheaper now, no?

FRZ said:
So.... The USD price should be cheaper now, no?

It's irrelevant. $330 is just the number on the web page. It doesn't get updated frequently. When you pay for your Pandora, pay in pounds and you'll get the up-to-the-minute exchange rate.

Back