Preparing for a Prototype

Nice list. Slight shame you've specified it all as purchases from the tax-dodging entity known as Amazon, but the modern internet means it's often a hell of a lot more work finding other shops selling similar stuff even if you wanted to.

Nice list. Slight shame you've specified it all as purchases from the tax-dodging entity known as Amazon, but the modern internet means it's often a hell of a lot more work finding other shops selling similar stuff even if you wanted to.

When I buy stuff on Amazon it charges me my local sales tax rates - but that may just be in the USA that they do that. But, they make a good place to find/locate and link-to-show hardware.

I just wish these forums would leave links alone and not try to wrap multimedia tags and gigantic unrelated graphics around them - or even URL tags when I put links as text into a freekin' code block. *mumbles* Where's my cane? Get off my lawn!

I have shortlisted microHDMI to HDMI, microHDMI to VGA and tp links USB to RJ45 cables. I plan to use pyra for ppt presentations. I hope pyra will cope up well with dual display and libreoffice. Last cable will help when I mess up with wifi connections, or when I upgrade modem software.

I have shortlisted microHDMI to HDMI, microHDMI to VGA and tp links USB to RJ45 cables. I plan to use pyra for ppt presentations. I hope pyra will cope up well with dual display and libreoffice. Last cable will help when I mess up with wifi connections, or when I upgrade modem software.
Nearly all conference rooms I encounter these days have a male HDMI cable run out to the table to connect to.

Ditnt know if I asked bevor: but is the Micro HDMI on the Pyra the same as the first GPD Win have ?? Then I already have a cable..
Don’t plan to use my Pyra for presentation, as our Company contains only 3 Employees, but it would be cool to hock it on to a TV and watch Netflix or Prime Video via 4G Internet in caravan..

Your West Frisian people, as in: your fellow Dutchmen in the eastern Netherlands. I neither generalized nor addressed you in particular as being part of that ethnic group. Though I see now that there being a region in a different part of the Netherlands with the same name offers some reason for confusion...

For the record: The Interfrisian Counsil officially splits the coastal region of Frisia into West, East and North Frisia.

Would you prefer a generalization with Holland? Some girl from Amsterdam I was talking to some years ago insisted on calling her country Holland, because "Half of the world already calls us Holland, so just stick with it" :oops:

Holland would be worse.... Technically the girl from amsterdam is living in holland but that would discard more than half of the netherlands but I guess that's what people in amsterdam do anyway.

The west frisian struck me because we have a province called friesland and a part of north-holland (also a province) that we call west-friesland... I am an inhabitant of salland which is a part of the province Overijssel... The Netherlands might be small but we do have intricate ways to slice it up :D

It was just a question, as i thought maybe, if some of us are Prototyphe Preeorderers and prepare for the Prototyphe, mybe someone knows the HDMI Type,

But if not: i wait for my Pyra 28, put the Cable i have in its back, and post if its works.. ^^^Or at least fits as i suppose the HDMI Output Driver could be something thats very low on the To Do List of the Software Developers,
Or its allready implemented, as the Board came from a DevBoard which needs to connect via HDMI..

The only question given it's not a full-sized type A connector is whether it's a type C or a type D connector. My money's on it being type D; type C connectors are apparently 10.5mm by 2.5mm so very wide and narrow while D's are 6.5mm by nearly 3mm which looks more like the proportions I've seen on the plastics.

Looking at a render of the back of the unit, I think the HDMI port is far right just past the headphone jack. It looks slightly narrower than the mini-USB debug/charging port which is above one of the USB2 A sockets. A mini-USB socket is meant to be 6.8mm wide, so that fits with it being a type-D HDMI. Apparently (i.e. according to wikipedia) most cameras have a type C socket on them, while tablets have a mix of type C and type D on them. As I say the type C is wider but narrower in the other direction, if you know what I mean, so that seems to fit for thin tablets.

In any case, I bought some type-D to type-A HDMI adaptors back after I preordered by unit, so I've always thought it was a type D, but I only tried to prove it just now.

Edit: Unless it's the thing on the left, past the blue USB2.0 port, that looks to me about the dimensions of a uSD socket. I don't actually know what that is, but perhaps I'd do better to find a representative photo rather than relying on a dated pre-render.

Edit2: Ah no, I'm pretty sure that's the USB3.0 micro USB socket, both the USB2.0 compatible part and the extra superspeed lanes adjacent.

Last edited:
It was just a question, as i thought maybe, if some of us are Prototyphe Preeorderers and prepare for the Prototyphe, mybe someone knows the HDMI Type,

If your cable is a generic microHDMI to HDMI patch cable, then I'll let you know inside a week after I get my prototype. I have one of those cables sitting in a box waiting to test/use.

If your cable is device-specific to your other handheld, maybe not. For example the USB-C to HDMI cable for the Planet Computers Gemini looks pretty generic - and there are other USB-C to HDMI cables on the market. However, it is device specific. Other cables won't work with the Gemini for HDMI out and the Gemini's HDMI cable will not work on other devices.

So, if your HDMI cable for your GPD WIN is a specific GPD cable, then I doubt it. If it is a generic cable (most likely) that will work on pretty much any 'normal' microHDMI port to take it to a standard sized port, then there is a very high chance that it will work just fine.

No, I do not have my prototype yet. Still waiting, but the wait is feeling like it might have an approaching end now.

It’s a Generic Amazon Basic Micro to normal HDMI Cable (or Mini HDMI) ,
I don’t think the GPD Win got a special HDMI Port that’s only works whit GPD Cables,
It’s at least lot more Generic than the Pandora TV Out Cable..

The only question given it's not a full-sized type A connector is whether it's a type C or a type D connector. My money's on it being type D;.
Yes, it is a type D connector with standard pin assignment.
Since I don't know what the GPD has, I can't comment on cable compatibility.

Thanks for the Answer, I bought a Type C to Type A Cable for the GPD Win,
Seems like I have to looking for a new Cable when the Pyra gets close..

Well, I've heard rumours, the Dutch would fry everything they get their hands on. Coincidence?

Back