Preparing new SMCs

barnesy

Website
Visit site
I'm about to get some new SMC cards, but I'm not totally sure what I should do to prepare them for use.

Will I have to format them through PC-Link? Will I have to install the free launcher again? Can I just format them through windows and copy bits from my old SMC over? Cheers.

Yes you will have to format them, no you will not have to load free launcher depending on what you are going to do with them. I have 2 128mb SMCs, the one i use for games, the other for MP3s. Since the mp3 player doesn't need free launcher, i didn't bother to install free launcher on it. I guess if I run out of room on my games smc, i will have to install free launcher and the emulators again onto the new smc to play the roms on my new card. I'm not sure if you can take out the smc while the game is on and emulator running before choosing a rom to play to get to roms on a different card.

Yeah. I'm planning to run games from two SMCs because I'm running out of space on the one I have. I'll want windups, but am not bothered about the free launcher. Guess there's no harm in trying without the launcher though.

I don't think pulling the SMC out of a running GP32 is a good idea - seems a bit too risky to me, even if you find out that doing that can work!

Theres no problem removing an smc as long as nothing is being written to it at the time. I've never tried swapping smc's while using emulators, but it works fine with gpcinema and the mp3 player.

woogal posted on Oct 15 2003 at 03:53 PM said:
Theres no problem removing an smc as long as nothing is being written to it at the time. I've never tried swapping smc's while using emulators, but it works fine with gpcinema and the mp3 player.
Oooh, that's interesting to know. I'm probably a bit over cautious with memory cards because I don't really know much about them. But then I've just realised I'm perfectly happy to swap cards on my palm pilot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back