Pricing And Performance?

Well if you need a tool, then that's something completely different. For me the pandora will be solely for personal pleasure.

US95VWVUS95 said:
Let me tell you about the category I fall to. I don't want an iPhone, I want a handheld capable of web browsing and office stuff.
An eeepc is perfect for this. If you don't mind that it is bigger and doesn't have game controls, an eeepc is a better choice than a Pandora. And an eeepc is already available. Seems to me a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
US95VWVUS95 said:
Let me tell you about the category I fall to. I don't want an iPhone, I want a handheld capable of web browsing and office stuff.
An eeepc is perfect for this.

no it's not:
US95VWVUS95 said:
I want a handheld

In my opinion, the EeePC, actually netbooks in general, are exactly the wrong size. They seem too small to be nearly as useful as a real laptop. The resolution is annoying and typing is really annoying. Conversely, it'd be nice to have a small computer with you whereever you go, but netbooks are too large for that, i.e. they don't fit in your pocket. Netbooks seem to combine the disadvantages of both laptops and pocket-sized UMPCs.

Look for other pocket-sized UMPCs. You'll find that the Pandora is actually a real bargain.

Oh yeah, and there's gaming controls. ;)

BigTruck said:
In my opinion, the EeePC, actually netbooks in general, are exactly the wrong size. They seem too small to be nearly as useful as a real laptop. The resolution is annoying and typing is really annoying.
Any full sized keyboard will win from a laptop. And most laptops have a better keyboard than an eeepc. And I'm sure you can type better on an eeepc than a Pandora.
If office applications and browsing the web are your thing, and you want something portable an eeepc is great. I can type on it pretty fast with two hands.

_VWV_ said:
What is the difference between a MID and a PDA? I think, the only difference is that the first word has m and i letters and the second has p and a letters, but they mean one and the same thing. So to my mind there is a direct competition.
Look at the controls of typical representatives and then get back to me on that one - these MIDs have almost nothing but touchscreens every time. They're meant for browsing the web, not for writing up things. PDAs, on the other hand, are meant for input. Although touchscreens can go a decent length in that way they are, IMO, not ideal for everything.

_VWV_ said:
Let me tell you about the category I fall to. I don't want an iPhone, I want a handheld capable of web browsing and office stuff. Devs say :pandora1: is "a ultra portable open source computer" - maybe that is the reason why so many people do show up who feel the way devs told them to. Such people show up because they are attracted by FF3.0 and ubuntu on the 3530, both of which have nothing to do with gaming, but rather are parts of a MID.
I'm just trying to foreseen ram consumption and so far I came to conclusion that it's RAM and not the CPU that is going to be the limiting factor.
There are people here that don't really care about gaming controls. Telling them to go elsewhere just because :pandora1: has more than just a keyboard is.. well.. wrong IMHO.
@Kyosys
I need a tool not a gadget. If I'm to choose between waste of 300 euro for a tool that just won't cut it, or spend more for something that'll do the trick, I'd prefer the second option or just refrain from spending money

So where were you when Nokia N800 was released? What does that fail to offer that you expect from Pandora? Is it just power? You think RAM is going to be the limiting factor, but back when PCs were around as powerful as Pandora is CPU-wise, 128MB was pretty standard. People just expect more because they think everything should need it, and because MIDs are being pushed with more. But this isn't a MID - largely because MID is an artificial definition (by Intel) that arbitrarily requires 512MB of RAM.

So yeah, I am kind of perplexed by people who want Pandora but aren't interested in gaming at all. That's like buying an iPhone without wanting a phone. If you just want something to browse the web then I'm sure there WILL be better alternatives, but this is something you should have known ages ago, not something you're just now realizing.

BigTruck said:
In my opinion, the EeePC, actually netbooks in general, are exactly the wrong size. They seem too small to be nearly as useful as a real laptop. The resolution is annoying and typing is really annoying. Conversely, it'd be nice to have a small computer with you whereever you go, but netbooks are too large for that, i.e. they don't fit in your pocket. Netbooks seem to combine the disadvantages of both laptops and pocket-sized UMPCs.
Wow. This is exactly what I said to my friends when the EeePC came out, and why I barely ever looked at news posts for it. Refreshing to hear your own thoughts confirmed once in a while. :)

Sign me up for the karma petition list, Chad. :p

Sphinxter said:
There's a very nicely charted comparison around here somewhere.
Here.
Note, it is incomplete, and there are tons of missing sources. I plan to redo this document later on.

Exophase said:
Look at the controls of typical representatives and then get back to me on that one - these MIDs have almost nothing but touchscreens every time. They're meant for browsing the web, not for writing up things. PDAs, on the other hand, are meant for input. Although touchscreens can go a decent length in that way they are, IMO, not ideal for everything.
?
But there are MIDs with keyboard. These are mutant mids, aren't they? People say OO will be available right from the start and you say that MIDs aren't meant for input. Don't you think it's kind of controversial?
Exophase said:
So where were you when Nokia N800 was released? What does that fail to offer that you expect from Pandora? Is it just power?
No, OMAP 24xx is powerful enough for my needs. But Nokia has screwed the video capabilities of the SoC and for this reason it's useless as a PMP. You see, I want a tool + an entertainment box, the more the better, coz I'm spending my money.
Exophase said:
You think RAM is going to be the limiting factor, but back when PCs were around as powerful as Pandora is CPU-wise, 128MB was pretty standard. People just expect more because they think everything should need it, and because MIDs are being pushed with more. But this isn't a MID - largely because MID is an artificial definition (by Intel) that arbitrarily requires 512MB of RAM.
I strongly disagree with you. People expect more not because MIDs are being pushed with more.
I agree that "back when PCs were around as powerful as Pandora is CPU-wise, 128MB was pretty standard". But you see, the problem is people plan to run modern software on :pandora1: like firefox, OO, GIMP and many other RAM demanding apps. Maybe programmers got lazy because intel, microsoft and other industry leader always offer more and more RAM - no need for code optimization, just add more RAM. + If a cpu is not powerful enough you usually can still run the program, but if you don't have enough RAM and always have to use swap - it'll reduce performance to stronger extent than a lack of cpu horsepower. People still use good old via processors for UMPCing - they are slow but still offer enough.
Personally I don't care why RAM demand grows faster than cpu demand - it's just the fact from my point of view.
You may say that code can be optimized. It's true but will you optimize every single app being ported for :pandora1: ?
Exophase said:
So yeah, I am kind of perplexed by people who want Pandora but aren't interested in gaming at all. That's like buying an iPhone without wanting a phone. If you just want something to browse the web then I'm sure there WILL be better alternatives, but this is something you should have known ages ago, not something you're just now realizing.
No it's not like "buying an iPhone without wanting a phone". Why do you think :pandora1: is only a gaming console? Just because it has two analogue nubs + 10 additional buttons? Additional controls can be quite useful for UMPCing and phone module of and iPhone can't be used for anything but internet access and phone calls. So the comparison isn't quite right.
I joined this forum about 8 months ago. At that time :pandora1: was the best UMPC, MID, handheld, PDA whatever you like. x86 based mids were enormously priced. Things started to change right now with the link I've provided in my previous post, so I don't think I should have learned about it ages ago.
I know that there are many people here who expect :pandora1: to be "a moderately priced N900", and there are those who want a "moderately priced MID" (so many people to perplex you ;) ). Some of them might be asking the same questions right now.

Back