Confused

HHE

Still Fresh
let me just say that the Pandora sounds awesome! It's very powerful and I love the keyboard + game controls.

I'm getting two different messages here. Is the Pandora a handheld emulator, like the GP2X - or a UMPC like the Eee PC? The official website openpandora.org says its a UMPC - but the forums seem to say it's pretty much a game system.

Which is it?

It's a Gaming system with UMPC capabilities - or a UMPC with gaming controls, depending on who you ask.

Personally I think it's a gaming console first, a keyboard doesn't automatically make it a UMPC.

i usually don't reply when i don't have much to say.

But this is just an awesomely f****ng great device that can be used in any way that suits your needs best.
So both.

Let's not go this way again plz

It's a quantum device, existing in both states at the same time, and yet neither. As we approach release and each individual receives their own, it'll collapse the wave function. Then, and only then, will we know for sure whether it is a UMPC or a game console.

It's a device. It is hardware that capable of a lot! Whether it is a UMPC or a Gaming Device depends entirely on the software that is put on it. That depends on what you want to put on it, and what is available. What is available depends on what the developers make for it.

Handheld Emus said:
let me just say that the Pandora sounds awesome! It's very powerful and I love the keyboard + game controls.

I'm getting two different messages here. Is the Pandora a handheld emulator, like the GP2X - or a UMPC like the Eee PC? The official website openpandora.org says its a UMPC - but the forums seem to say it's pretty much a game system.

Which is it?
First of all, the GP2X is a game console. It can run emulators, but that is different from actually being an emulator.

Second, the Pandora is a Game console-UMPC hybrid. I personally however look at it as a game console that can double as a UMPC when it feels like it. Either way, this will definitely be more like the GP2X in the way everything is, because it has the same community, so apps will be released in much the same way that apps were released on the GP2X, and every open possibility will most likely be explored. (IOW, since there is a USB port, there will be programs that will be ported that will make use of a USB mouse, etc.)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
Whether it is a UMPC or a Gaming Device depends entirely on the software that is put on it.
Ok - so what can it run? Does it do UMPC type stuff - office, firefox, chat, voip, email, calendar, media player? It says it runs Linux, so can I put Ubuntu on it and just run software for that like Open Office and VLC?

Handheld Emus said:
chad78 said:
Whether it is a UMPC or a Gaming Device depends entirely on the software that is put on it.
Ok - so what can it run? Does it do UMPC type stuff - office, firefox, chat, voip, email, calendar, media player? It says it runs Linux, so can I put Ubuntu on it and just run software for that like Open Office and VLC?

All that stuff can, and probably will be ported.
It wouldn't be that simple tough, Ubutu itself would have to be ported first, aswell as any apps that would run on it.

It is a gaming PDA, like the Tapwave Zodiac. It is not a UMPC, because it is not a PC in the first place. If it were a PC, it would be X86 compatible.

People are calling it a UMPC because it looks like a mini Laptop, having a keyboard and touchscreen, but by that logic Blackberrys or Palm Treos would be considered UMPCs too.

Prometheus said:
I thought that PC meant "Personal Computer", not "Intel x86"... :huh:
+1

Not to mention that the Pandora hardly fits the description "gaming PDA".

-God Ginrai

Fishbong said:
It is a gaming PDA, like the Tapwave Zodiac. It is not a UMPC, because it is not a PC in the first place. If it were a PC, it would be X86 compatible.

People are calling it a UMPC because it looks like a mini Laptop, having a keyboard and touchscreen, but by that logic Blackberrys or Palm Treos would be considered UMPCs too.

I agree the Pandora is not a PC, neither is a Mac. Sure PC stands for personal computer, but that's not what it means. There is an industry standard term "PC software" that will not run on Pandora. If you are planning on using a Pandora as a UMPC to run general applications you will be frustrated that you can't use your favorite programs and must make do with what is ported. If you want a Pandora to run game emulators, surf the web(without flash), and play music/video files you will be happy.

which brings us to another point, now that macs are x86ed, isn't the mac vs pc campaign...totally retarded?

waffles said:
which brings us to another point, now that macs are x86ed, isn't the mac vs pc campaign...totally retarded?
The campaign isn't totally retarded - but the names are. However - I'm a Mac, and I'm a Windows Computer - just doesn't have the same ring to it. And you can't say "I'm a Mac and I'm a Dell" - because you don't want to limit yourself to one manufacturer - and not all Dells (HPs, Gateways, etc.) use Windows - which is what they are competing with.

waffles said:
PC usually refers to Windows. x86 in general is just as much a PC as PowerPC.
I think they should do away with the whole PC thing and just call it Windows, or x86, or computers. It's confusing the hell out of everybody.

Handheld Emus said:

Which is it?
Too silly even for me(my previous comment in this spot) so i'll just say that the Pandora can function as a mini PDA(notepad, reader for txt or pdf files eventually) MP3 player and movie player, and most importantly for old games for the older home consoles like the NES, SNES, Playstation and everything else. Nothing is even close to what it potentially will be able to do because most manufacturers stay in their little niche areas due to hoarded patents and possible product crossover of whatever they have already released.

PlopperZ said:
PC usually refers to Windows. x86 in general is just as much a PC as PowerPC.
I think they should do away with the whole PC thing and just call it Windows, or x86, or computers. It's confusing the hell out of everybody.
You know what confuses the hell out of me? The fact that 80% of the people shopping in stores call SD cards "ScanDiscs" or "SanDiscs". Oddly enough, I think we're talking about the same people here- general consumers. :p

Back