Problems getting to Retroarch menu on retropie

second exodous

Advanced Member
So I've asked this in forums on other sites that deal directly with Retropie but it is filled with non-technical people. I think one of my config files got borked because in the image I'm using select+start exited me out of the games but now that doesn't work. No key-press combination does anything.

Does anyone know where to find the config files in retropie? I just need to edit the file that has the shortcuts, like exiting the game, quick saving, and turning off freaking scan-line filters/boarders.

It shouldn't matter what image I'm using should it? The files to edit should always be in the same place.

The image I'm using uses Emulation Station by the way.

I dunno, but most settings are either in your XDG_CONFIG_HOME folder (usually ~/.config/[subfolder] where ~ is your home folder and subfolder is the name of the app to which settings belong), or just ~/.[subfolder] (an older standard) for user specific settings, or somewhere under /etc for system-wide settings. It's always possible that emustation does something weird under /opt or something, but I'd look in the standard places first.

I don't know about file locations, but if you've b0rked your hotkey (which is what Select was, and determines things like Select+Start = Exit, and various other bits about quicksaving etc) then the easiest way to fix it is to (re)configure your input settings in Emulation Station. Use whatever means to get to that menu item, hold down any key on the controller you wanna reconfigure, and go through the motions. The very last thing it asks you to configure is your hotkey; make sure you choose Select and I expect most of the things you wanna be doing will start working again (or, at least, as currently documented).

Back