Problems With Fps/open2X

CJ Maynard

Still Fresh
I switched to Open2X (which I love, don't get me wrong), but I've encountered an odd quirk, and I am hoping someone else might know what to do. I had a single memory card loaded with Doom, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, etc. I had them in different sections with links to the games and mods. Everything worked fine for about a week or two. They suddenly started crashing or never loading, so I formatted a new card, downloaded the new versions of all the programs, and moved the data back from my original source. I made new sections, brought in new links, and they still hang and never fully load. At this point, I can load Hexen from compat mode only, and none of the others. Duke Nukem makes it to the first loading screen in compat mode before crashing.

This is a bit odd, to say the least! Anyone else experience this?

(F200 Machine)

CJ Maynard said:
I switched to Open2X (which I love, don't get me wrong), but I've encountered an odd quirk, and I am hoping someone else might know what to do. I had a single memory card loaded with Doom, Quake, Heretic, Hexen, etc. I had them in different sections with links to the games and mods. Everything worked fine for about a week or two. They suddenly started crashing or never loading, so I formatted a new card, downloaded the new versions of all the programs, and moved the data back from my original source. I made new sections, brought in new links, and they still hang and never fully load. At this point, I can load Hexen from compat mode only, and none of the others. Duke Nukem makes it to the first loading screen in compat mode before crashing.

This is a bit odd, to say the least! Anyone else experience this?

(F200 Machine)

You've already tried a new card so I suggest trying an AC adapter first.

Then, try a different card reader/writer. I had a card reader that went bad once and started randomly corrupting any data written with it. It caused a lot of confusion for me, as I was doing development and thought I was fighting real bugs when they were just caused by the damned flaky dealextreme card reader.

Try installing the games/data fresh using a new reader/writer to isolate the problem. Keep in mind that if you installed Open2X using a flaky card reader/writer or a flaky card you can also see all sorts of strange things.

I can say for sure that Duke Nukem works fine under Open2X. And I was playing Quake just the other day. I've played all the games you mentioned just fine with Open2X. What sucks is my F200 recently died and won't even boot with fresh high-quality batteries. I've yet to isolate the problem but I think these things just aren't designed very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back