Pandora Problems With Opkg On Pandora - Is There A Solution?

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
So, I've been trying to port some programs to Pandora and I've been following the instructions given by mcobit in the first and last posts on this page (25 January 2011 - 05:09 PM and 29 January 2011 - 11:02 AM). So basically, I've been using two of Stuckie's Extends for Root and Home, and using "sudo opkg update" followed by "sudo opkg install [xxx]" if after typing in "./configure" it complains that something is missing. Also following this instruction:
mcobit posted on 08 June 2011 - 03:46 PM said:
As you instructed at the bottom of pg.1 of that thread, I tried to sudo opkg install gtk+-dev, but it didn't succeed, giving me some messages that something is already provided by an earlier-installed package:

Code:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libpng12-dev wants to install file /usr/include/libpng12/pngconf.h
	But that file is already provided by package  * check_data_file_clashes: libpng-dev
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libpng12-dev wants to install file /usr/include/libpng12/png.h
	But that file is already provided by package  * check_data_file_clashes: libpng-dev
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libpng12-dev wants to install file /usr/lib/libpng12.a
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libpng12-dev wants to install file /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libpng12.pc
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libpng12-dev wants to install file /usr/lib/libpng12.la
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gtk+-dev.
So I tried to remove libpng-dev with --nodeps. I got this warning:

Code:
* print_dependents_warning: Package libpng-dev is depended upon by packages:
 * print_dependents_warning: 	libcairo-dev
 * print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package libpng-dev is removed.
Well, ok... next time I tried to install gtk+-dev, I got this:

Code:
* check_data_file_clashes: Package cups wants to install file /etc/pam.d/cups
	But that file is already provided by package  * check_data_file_clashes: libpam-base-files
So I removed the libpam-base-files package as well, in the same way. Then I tried to download & install gtk+-dev again. This time, it took an extremely long time, so I went to sleep. When I woke up, it was again complaining about libpng-dev, which I thought I had removed. I tried to remove it again, but it said "sudo:3 incorrect password attempts". I guess something happened while I was asleep?

Esn posted on 08 June 2011 - 07:17 PM said:
It seems like libpng-dev isn't actually removed. Here's the full output of what appears after I type in sudo opkg remove libpng-dev --nodeps:
Code:
Collected errors:
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-smoothing.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgstfarsight-0.10-0.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-yahoo.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-msn.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-radar.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgnt0.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-pie.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-reg-logfit.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-xy.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/gnumeric.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-icq.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/claws-mail.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-xmpp.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/abiword.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libproxy.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgsf-gnome-1-114.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pidgin.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-plugin-ssl-gnutls.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-barcol.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pidgin-data.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-plugin-ssl.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libsoup-gnome-2.4-1.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-irc.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgles-omap3-rawdemos.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-reg-linear.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/poppler.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-8.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-surface.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pandora-lcd-state.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-distrib.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libnice.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pandora-wallpaper-community.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-aim.list: No such file or directory.
 * print_dependents_warning: Package libpng-dev is depended upon by packages:
 * print_dependents_warning: 	libcairo-dev
 * print_dependents_warning: These might cease to work if package libpng-dev is removed.

* print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package with --force-depends.
 * print_dependents_warning: Force removal of this package and its dependents
 * print_dependents_warning: with --force-removal-of-dependent-packages.
So I'm guessing from the above few lines that I should type in "sudo opkg remove libpng-dev --force-depends"?
Esn posted on 08 June 2011 - 07:24 PM said:
Ok... I threw caution to the wind and typed in sudo opkg remove libpng-dev --force-depends

I got this:
Code:
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
Same thing that happened earlier today, before I reset my Pandora. And it never even asked me for my password before it typed that; there were no 3 password attempts...
Esn posted on 09 June 2011 - 05:33 PM said:
The problem with sudo (the three "sorry, try again" messages) happens only when I try to remove libpng-dev. After it happens the first time, though, I can't do any other sudo commands (same message pops up) until I restart my system and things return to normal (by the way, I'm using Stuckie's Extends in the way your tutorial describes, so maybe it's fixed because they're unmounted after each reset).

Esn posted on 09 June 2011 - 05:49 PM said:
Never mind... I set up the extends and typed in "sudo opkg remove libpng-dev --force-depends" as soon as I opened the terminal window. I got this output:

Code:
esn-openpandora:/mnt/utmp/rootextend$ sudo opkg remove libpng-dev --force-depends
Removing package libpng-dev from root...
Collected errors:
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-smoothing.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgstfarsight-0.10-0.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-yahoo.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-msn.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-radar.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgnt0.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-pie.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-reg-logfit.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-xy.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/gnumeric.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-icq.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/claws-mail.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-xmpp.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/abiword.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libproxy.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgsf-gnome-1-114.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pidgin.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-plugin-ssl-gnutls.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-barcol.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pidgin-data.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-plugin-ssl.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libsoup-gnome-2.4-1.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-irc.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgles-omap3-rawdemos.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-reg-linear.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/poppler.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-8.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-surface.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pandora-lcd-state.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libgoffice-0.8-plugin-plot-distrib.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libnice.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/pandora-wallpaper-community.list: No such file or directory.
 * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/libpurple-protocol-aim.list: No such file or directory.
esn-openpandora:/mnt/utmp/rootextend$

I guess maybe it did it successfully? Will try to install gtk+-dev again...

Esn posted on 09 June 2011 - 05:55 PM said:
Spoke too soon... looks like my first message to you was correct after all.

Code:
esn-openpandora:/mnt/utmp/rootextend$ sudo opkg install gtk+-dev
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
esn-openpandora:/mnt/utmp/rootextend$

It does look like I can't try to remove libpng-dev without running into this problem. Should I try "--force-removal-of-dependent-packages"?

Esn posted on 09 June 2011 - 09:53 PM said:
It happened again. This time, it happened after it complained of a missing pygtk-2.0, and I tried to sudo opkg install python-pygtk. Here's the full copy+paste of everything from the beginning:

Code:
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$ ./configure --prefix=/mnt/utmp/solfege
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.5... python
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.6
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for headers required to compile python extensions... found
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for rsvg... no
checking for swig... no
checking for lilypond... no
checking for bzr... notfound
checking for gs... /usr/bin/gs
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for msggrep... /usr/bin/msggrep
checking for makeinfo... no
configure: error: makeinfo You need to install the texinfo package. not found. 
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$ sudo opkg update
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/base.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/debug/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/debug/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/debug.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/gstreamer/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/gstreamer/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/gstreamer.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc//all/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc//all/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/no-arch.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/machine/omap3-pandora/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/machine/omap3-pandora/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/omap3-pandora.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/perl/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/perl/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/perl.
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/python/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/python/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/lib/opkg/python.
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$ sudo opkg install texinfo
Installing texinfo (4.8a-r0.5) to root...
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/texinfo_4.8a-r0.5_armv7a.ipk.
Configuring texinfo.
Collected errors:
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$ ./configure --prefix=/mnt/utmp/solfege
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.5... python
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.6
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python2.6/site-packages
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for headers required to compile python extensions... found
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for rsvg... no
checking for swig... no
checking for lilypond... no
checking for bzr... notfound
checking for gs... /usr/bin/gs
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for msggrep... /usr/bin/msggrep
checking for makeinfo... /usr/bin/makeinfo
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for cat... /bin/cat
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.17.0... yes
checking for PYGTK... no
configure: error: Package requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.12.0) were not met:

No package 'pygtk-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PYGTK_CFLAGS
and PYGTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$ sudo opkg install python-pygtk
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
Sorry, try again.
esn-openpandora:/var/volatile/tmp/homeExtend/solfege-3.18.8$

So... is there any solution to the problems here? I'd prefer to do things on the Pandora if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand wanting to do things on the Pandora, I've been using Angstrom on SD and then Debian on SD to learn how to set up a dev environment and compile existing software.

I'm having a play around with this tutorial too, if you're a beginner I'd suggest using Angstrom on SD. There seems to be some problems with the extends given opkg spits out about 10 error messages every time you install a package (which is not really normal). Try install Angstrom OS to SD and continue with the rest of the tutorial.

quartercast said:
Try install Angstrom OS to SD and continue with the rest of the tutorial.
I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't the Pandora already use Angstrom? Why would installing it to SD make a difference? (also, is there a link somewhere with instructions for that?)

I should also mention that I don't think I have any SD cards which can be formatted to ext2/3/4. One of mine uses FAT32, another NTFS.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot.. I also asked about this on OpenPandora IRC, and never got an answer to the following question:

<Esn> this earlier post by sebt3 suggests getting pygtk-2.0 from another source: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55664-gmpc-beta/page__view__findpost__p__900172
<Esn> so how does one install packages manually?
<Esn> or is it simply impossible to install some of them at the moment?

EDIT2: Might as well post the full discussion I had over there, in case anyone wants to read it.
Code:
<Esn> is this channel mainly for pandora-dev talk, or...?
* gruetzkopf has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
* gruetzkopf (~martin@f049235072.adsl.alicedsl.de) has joined #openpandora
<Esn> lots of people logged in, but nobody around, it seems :) 
* karl has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<Wally> hello esn :) 
<Esn> I was wondering if anybody had ever gotten an error like "Package requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.12.0) were not met", and if so, what package should be downloaded to meet them
<Esn> hi Wally :) 
* karl (~karl@gateway/tor-sasl/karl) has joined #openpandora
<Wally> Hows it going
<Esn> well, I'm trying to port a few things
<Esn> and asking people for newbie information :P 
<Wally> ah :D 
<Esn> what I don't get is that the wiki's included package list lists python-pygtk_2.16.0-r1.5_armv7a.ipk, so why's it giving me the error?
<Wally> Don't tell me you're trying to port RenPy
<Esn> no... why?
<Wally> It also depends on the error too :P 
<Wally> Whats the error
<Esn> checking for PYGTK... no
<Esn> configure: error: Package requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.12.0) were not met:
<Esn> No package 'pygtk-2.0' found
<Esn> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
<Esn> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
<Esn> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PYGTK_CFLAGS
<Esn> and PYGTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
<Esn> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
* nerach has quit (Quit: Quitte)
<Esn> I'm using Stuckie's Extends as described in mcobit's tutorial
<Esn> the one in General on GP32X
<aTc> dont mess about with ipkg
<aTc> never
<aTc> and pygtk is already installed
<aTc> just an older version
<Esn> right, so how do I get a newer version then? And it's called  python-pygtk_2.16.0-r1.5_armv7a.ipk, right, so it's >=2.12.0 like the error message wants
<Esn> unless the Extends don't have that one...
<Esn> if I'm understanding this correctly, which I may well not be
<Esn> I'm basically following the instructions in the first and last post on this page: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58363-two-tutorials/
<Esn> very, very quiet indeed. I guess most people here are in Europe and sleeping, then?
* b3w_ (~andi@p5B3F28A5.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #openpandora
<Esn> or is it in the nature of larger IRC channels to be less active? The only other one I've visited is pckf, which has six times fewer people but is six times more active
<Esn> hi b3w
* AtomicTroop has quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
<aTc> argh!.. what kind of idiot would actually recommend using opkg to install stuff on there
* b3w has quit (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
<Esn> it's in an Extend, so it's safe, isn't it?
<Esn> goes away when I reboot
<aTc> whole opkg is set up wrong on the pandora, the default config points to a much more newer repo of a completely different os
<Esn> at least until I mount them again
<Esn> ah
<Esn> um... is that going to be fixed?
<aTc> working on it
<Esn> yeah, I had a whole bunch of errors. Couldn't instal gtk+-dev for example. Would be nice if things worked as they should. :P 
<Esn> so you're one of the people working on the OS? I don't think I've ever seen you on the GP32X forums...
<aTc> of course not
<Esn> so who's working on it?
<aTc> that was more about the forums
<Esn> (you said "working on it")
<aTc> too many idiots
<Esn> oh, ok
<Esn> do you avoid both forums?
<Esn> GP32X and OP
<aTc> yes
<Esn> so how would one install things, if not with opkg?
<Esn> or should one simply not do dev work on the Pandora for now?
<aTc> sure you can, you just have to be really carefull, and hope the stuff you want to use actually exists and installs
<aTc> using a crosscompiler is much easier
<aTc> pandora keyboard isn't that great for a lot of typing anyway
<Esn> I search if it's present over here first: http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/
<aTc> yeah, but that's stuff that's two years later
<Esn> ah
<aTc> stuff on pandora wasn't really updated after the first release
<aTc> just some minor updates
<mikey_w> Did anyone receive my pandora by mistake?
<Esn> so... do you have on any idea on when/if things will be brought up to date?
<Zoxc> when someone does it :D 
* Hideki has quit (Quit: Rebooting/Upgrading)
<aTc> Zoxc: i guess that means you still haven't tried my stuff :) 
<Zoxc> still busy playing Diablo II
<Zoxc> first I had to make some hack to filter out all the spambots =P
* BlueSleep is now known as BlueMaxima
<Esn> well, nobody wrote an IKEA-like guide like mcobit's for crosscompilers, else I might've started with those first. Besides which, the Pandora's the only computer I have access to this week
<aTc> http://pandorawiki.org/Getting_started_with_Pandora_development
* Hideki (~Mibbit@cpc1-york2-0-0-cust632.7-1.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #openpandora
<Esn> mcobit's is easier to understand for someone just starting out. Now that I've done that, I might be ready to understand the other ones.
<Esn> this earlier post by sebt3 suggests getting pygtk-2.0 from another source: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55664-gmpc-beta/page__view__findpost__p__900172
<Esn> so how does one install packages manually?
<Esn> or is it simply impossible to install some of them at the moment?
* vimacs has quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
* jasay_ (~jasay@adsl-76-202-193-104.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net) has joined #openpandora
* Wally has quit (Quit: Linkinus - http://linkinus.com)
* vimacs (~vimacs@p4FEE482E.dip.t-dialin.net) has joined #openpandora
* Disconnected (Invalid argument).

Esn said:
quartercast said:
Try install Angstrom OS to SD and continue with the rest of the tutorial.
I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't the Pandora already use Angstrom? Why would installing it to SD make a difference? (also, is there a link somewhere with instructions for that?)

I should also mention that I don't think I have any SD cards which can be formatted to ext2/3/4. One of mine uses FAT32, another NTFS.

Well with Extends you've extended your existing Angstrom setup to SD so that you have extra space to muck around (install dev libraries, space to download source, compile things) with. But I think that's a hackish way of doing things, why not run the entire OS from an SD card, instead of extending just partitions of it to SD (especially seeing as Extends seems to be quite buggy atm).

The instructions for this are on your very own Pandorawiki. I generally follow torpor's method (method #2).

I never look at that compatibility list, I just open a terminal and format it:

Code:
df     # get dev ID of SD card
sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/devid -L VOLUMENAME       # format SD as ext2 with given volume name

Or, you could just install freamon's dev PND

A few quick questions:

1. Does an SD have to be formatted to ext2/3/4 in order to install Angstrom onto it?
2. Where exactly are the things installed through the opkg command onto the Extends located? -- If some of the libraries don't work because the Pandora's kernel is too old, can I manually replace them with compatible ones? i.e. mcobit told me that he did manage to get gtk+-dev to install successfully months ago.

1. Yes. This is done automatically; Dave1234's installer sets up VFAT, Ext3 and swap partitions for you.
2. Hmm, probably on the root extends? I presume you do the compiling on the home extends, and things actually get installed to the root extends. Just a guess :)

quartercast said:
1. Yes. This is done automatically; Dave1234's installer sets up VFAT, Ext3 and swap partitions for you.
I see. I guess this means that I'll need to buy another SD card. One is my "main" one formatted to FAT32, and I don't want to mess around with it, while the other one I have is formatted to NTFS right now, which I need because Audacity won't save its main files to FAT32.
quartercast said:
2. Hmm, probably on the root extends? I presume you do the compiling on the home extends, and things actually get installed to the root extends. Just a guess :)
Hypothetically, can I open that in a file manager and manually muck around in there, without using the opkg command? (since it goes to an Angstrom repository that's not fully compatible with the Pandora's)

It would be cheaper than buying another SD card, see. ;)

Esn said:
Doesn't the Pandora already use Angstrom? Why would installing it to SD make a difference?
Well, I'd still like to know this. I thought the reason I was getting errors was because the kernel in the Pandora's OS is old and not fully compatible with the stuff on the Angstrom site that's being downloaded with opkg. But you say it's because there are problems with Stuckie's Extends?

Ok, I'll give installing Angstrom on SD a go; I'd just like to understand why this should work better.

Ok, installed Angstrom to SD.

Now I get "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH" when I try to ./configure

So... "installing Angstrom then continuing on with the rest of the tutorial" didn't work. Please modify your instructions and I'll follow them. :) I think I'm missing some really, really basic stuff, but my Google-fu is weak.

Concurrently, I'm trying to get mcobit's method to work because it seems better. I now realize that I got the "3 incorrect passowrd attempts" message no matter what sudo command I typed, so I downloaded the dev extend again to use a "fresh copy" (I must've borked my original one somehow) and this time installing python-pygtk seems to be working. Will see if my luck holds.

Ok, I think python-pygtk installed fine this time, though it took over an hour. Yet when I try ./configure, I'm still told
Code:
checking for PYGTK... no
configure: error: Package requirements (pygtk-2.0 >= 2.12.0) were not met:

No package 'pygtk-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PYGTK_CFLAGS
and PYGTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

pkgconfig is looking pygtk-2.0.pc in the directories pointed by $PKG_CONFIG_PATH and cannot find any.
Grab that file from somewhere else (be it within that debian package I was showing in that gravedig).
If you're compiling on the pandora, copy that file to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

Thank you! Yes, I'm compiling on Pandora. How do I get the needed package from within that file with the .deb extension?

EDIT: Never mind, found the answer: ar vx filename.deb , then open the contents with Squeeze.

Ok, I tried to copy it over (both in Thunar, Xfe and via Terminal) but permission was denied.

Code:
esn-openpandora:/tmp/homeExtend$ cp /media/mmcblk0p1/pygtk-2.0.pc /tmp/rootExtend/usr/lib/pkgconfig/pygtk-2.0.pc
cp: cannot create regular file `/tmp/rootExtend/usr/lib/pkgconfig/pygtk-2.0.pc': Permission denied
esn-openpandora:/tmp/homeExtend$

EDIT... nevermind, fixed this one too. Should've put "sudo" before the command.

Now it's asking me for "pygobject-2.0" - will try to find that one as well...

EDIT2: Looks like I'll need to repeat this procedure. Googled pygobject-2.0.pc and found that it's present in this Debian package:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-gobject-dev
I think this is a step that could be added to mcobit's tutorial - how to find things from other sources if the Angstrom repo doesn't have them.

EDIT3: I found a website that has the contents of a lot of these .pc files:
http://www.koders.com/noncode/fid1A9AE53F0F866A0DD2CB6D6CE26FF55A6E2688E4.aspx

Ok... I had to put in a LOT of those .pc files. Anyway,

My newest hangup:

Code:
Package 'cairo' requires 'pixman-1 >= 0.18.4' but version of Pixman is 0.18.2
The one in the Angstrom repo doesn't seem to have it. Tried updating libpixman-1-0, but it said I was up to date.

The latest 0.18.4 release seems to be over here: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.announce/1118

How/where do I install it?

Ok... I didn't figure out how to properly install a library on the Pandora (would still appreciate a tip here), but I installed it to /mnt/utmp/pixman by following mcobit's tutorial, and manually moved the library's files to the correct locations after. What would the correct installation location have been?

Also, is there a way to do a mass move of files? I can't do it in the file manager because it says I don't have permission to move files to the /usr/lib folder, so it looks like I can only do it one at a time in the terminal.

Am I wrong about this? Or is there a way to more efficiently move many files into the /usr/lib (aka. /tmp/rootExtend/usr/lib, when using Stukie's Root Extend) directory?

Of a more pressing concern, though, is another problem. I seem to have borked my "root" Extend, once again. This time, the symptom of the problem is that after I mount the Root Extend, not a single program will start (not even the terminal window, nor the shutdown window, so I have to do a hard-reboot). I'm not quite sure what prompted this. It might've started after I accidentally asked it to "sudo opkg install" a non-existing item (I misspelled the name)

This is really frustrating because I spent hours installing various dependencies inside that Root Extend. I'm sad that much of that effort may be lost.

*.pc files are just text files describing what you should have on your PC. you already take them from other world and such, you can also edit them to fit _your_ needs ;)

sebt3 said:
*.pc files are just text files describing what you should have on your PC. you already take them from other world and such, you can also edit them to fit _your_ needs ;)
Well, unfortunately, this is an answer that I don't understand right now. Didn't you say in your previous post...
Grab that file from somewhere else (be it within that debian package I was showing in that gravedig).
If you're compiling on the pandora, copy that file to /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

There were a dozen other such .pc files that I had to grab and place in usr/lib/pkgconfig. Dependency after dependency, with no end in sight and ending with the rootExtend becoming borked. :p

What I really want to know is

1. What's the proper way to install libraries? ./configure --prefix=/ ..what directory? Or does it vary?

2. How can I efficiently move many files into the protected /usr/ directory? Is doing it one-by-one with the command line my only option?

Back