Problems with OS and WiFi

Nikkis

Still Fresh
My first problem is that when I'm using the MiniMenu, it does not connect to my wireless network. The WiFi is set on, but, no connection when I'm trying to use a web browser, as an example. Why, and is there any way to fix this? My other problem is that when I'm using xfce (not sure if that is the correct way of saying it but...), no matter what I'm trying to do, it always comes up with this error "Permission denied. Failed to execute child process". Everything was fine before Thrust crashed. Any idea on how to fix this/these?

PS. I'm sorry my english is not that good, I hope you understand.

With MiniMenu, you cannot setup WiFi, you can only enable it if you set it up in XFCE4 first (and don't setup a keychain password).

The other error sounds like something with the OS installation didn't work properly - you should do a reflash, that should help.

Oh my God! That was one quick answer! The wifi connection should work in the MiniMenu, if I setup it in XFCE at first? And yeah, I was thinking about the reflash too. Is the SD-card required for the reflash, or is there a way to do it without?

You'll definitely need a SD Card. There is no way to boot of USB AFAIK

Hahaa. :lol: Well.. I must go and buy some SD-cards after I get out from work, then. By the way, I'm really surprised by the fact that it actually is very easy to use the Pandoras keyboard to write and stuff. Just amazing! Well anyways, I hope the problems will be fixed with the reflash!

EDIT: Alright, I did the reflash. Now it seems to be working better, atleast. It lets me open apps and stuff like that, but, I still can't create new folders on desktop, for example. What now, or is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm terribly sorry because of this double post, but now I'm having some serious problems. I did the reflash, and it went fine. However, now I can't do a thing. None of the applications will launch, none of the .pnd files work... What should I do?

Look for files in the "/tmp" directory called "pndrunXYZwhatever". Those are logs and will tell you (or tell us, anyway, since we've dealt with many issues before) what the problem was.

Just copy one (or a few) to an SD card and then paste it into here.

Well... My Pandora doesn't even boot anymore. It shows the start screen with the loading bar, but freezes after few seconds.

EDIT: I managed to get this running by installing the HotFix 5 Beta. However, I'm still having problems launching applications. From pndrun_firefox:

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /tmp//firefox-4b10-0.pnd -e firefox.sh -s . -b firefox

none on /mnt/utmp/firefox type aufs (rw,si=6bc62b37)

Union already mounted

none on /mnt/utmp/firefox type aufs (rw,si=6bc62b37)

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

CMEM Error: init: Failed to open /dev/cmem: 'No such file or directory'

Killed

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

Well... My Pandora doesn't even boot anymore. It shows the start screen with the loading bar, but freezes after few seconds.

Was this on the first boot?

The first boot needs a few minutes. You need to wait for the first boot wizard to appear.

Until then, the bar will not move (this was probably what you meant with "freeze").

The unit is configuring itself on first boot. If you reset it instead of letting it finished, you will only have a half-working system.

And it sounds like that happened.

You need to reflash then and be patient on the first boot :)

It seems to take forever every time I boot the system. However I did reset the system when I thought it froze, but I'm pretty sure that was not the first boot. And I got Firefox to launch, once. Then it crashed, and I haven't got any app to launch after that. I hope that log will help, and I may try a new reflash tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I did the reflash, once again. No help. The device itself seems to run "okay", but I still can't run any .pnd files.

EDIT2: It seems that now I can launch .pnd files also, but, only if they are stored on the Pandoras memory. If the files are on the USB / SD devices, they won't work. Could this have something to do with that I'm using microSD cards with SD card adapter?

Do you have the SD cards set up with the correct directory structure?

In fact, I didn't. I'm going to test this now, will edit this post after I do. The "Failed to execute child process. Permission denied." -error has made an comeback though. Any idea if this would have something to do with that too?

EDIT: I did set up the directories, no help. The .pnds won't appear where they should after putting them to right places. The "Permission denied" error does not show up anymore, but neither does anything else.

EDIT2: I formated the SD-card, reflashed the Pandora and put those folders in, and now, everything seems to work perfectly. Oh my God I am so relievied. I never thought that the answer would be that simple. Thanks everybody!

Hehe, yeah, you need to get to know your Pandora to enjoy it :D

Glad you worked it out :D

EDIT2: I formated the SD-card, reflashed the Pandora and put those folders in, and now, everything seems to work perfectly. Oh my God I am so relievied. I never thought that the answer would be that simple. Thanks everybody!

No problem, glad to be of help, but in future RTFM! ;)

In all seriousness I'd certainly recommend a good read of the unofficial user manual.

Hahaa. :lol: Well.. I must go and buy some SD-cards after I get out from work, then. By the way, I'm really surprised by the fact that it actually is very easy to use the Pandoras keyboard to write and stuff. Just amazing! Well anyways, I hope the problems will be fixed with the reflash!

EDIT: Alright, I did the reflash. Now it seems to be working better, atleast. It lets me open apps and stuff like that, but, I still can't create new folders on desktop, for example. What now, or is this normal?

Hi Nikkis, glad you got it sorted. As for this question of yours, I believe it is normal that you cannot simply right click and create folders on the desktop like on a desktop PC's desktop. You also cant create folders that will appear on the desktop by creating them in media>SDCARDNAME>pandora>desktop as they simply dont appear on the desktop as you expect.

Perhaps of use though is this method, that will create launchers for categories of PNDs that you may wish to store in logical groups within folders. The guide from Pleng will explain it better http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55539-guide-making-group-launchers-on-xfce-desktop/

There's also a bunch of good reads for various tweaks within the help and support section of both forums, in the pinned topic at the top called 'tweaks thread'.

Yeah, most of the time today I've spent reading those. This is actually pretty easy stuff, once you get the hang of it. :) Especially the "tweaks thread" has been a huge help in making this device easier to use. Now I have everything sorted out, playing some PSX. Damn, I love this.

I am having the wiki problem in the minimenu as well.

As you might remember, I have been using my pandy exclusively with xfce before so my wifi was set up correctly.

Now that I use the minimenu as default boot, my wifi won't connect anymore. I need to switch to Xfce and back to make it work.

Can this be fixed?

Maybe this has something to do with it: I have 3 different routers I connect to, the one at work, the one at home and a portable 3g-to-wifi converter. Maybe the minimenu can't choose?

Anyone?

ps. HF5 RC2

Back