Problems With Pocketsnes

gp2x_caapn

Still Fresh
I tried the new emu PocketSNES the day it came out, and I have the updated version on my gp2x now. My impressions from the comments is that it runs better than squidge, which i'm sure it does, but for some reason everything runs with substantially slower fps than in squidge. for instance, contra iii runs fullspeed on squidge, runs around 20-30 on pocket. super mario all stars is around 40, squidge fullspeed. killer instinct @ 20, squidge, well, you get the idea. kinda disappointed because of the transparency fixes which rendered things like ff2 unplayable. :( any1 have an explanation?

these are all my settings:
Sound: ON
Sound Rate: 22050
Volume: 55
Cpu Speed: 250
Frameskip: Auto
Action Buttons: Normal
Show FPS: On
Brightness: 100
Transparencies: On
Render Mode: Scaled
RAM timing: CRAIG
MMU HACK: On
Saving SRAM: Manual

i've tried every combo imaginable, but nothing seems to help.

gp2x_caapn posted on Feb 9 2007 at 03:16 AM said:
I tried the new emu PocketSNES the day it came out, and I have the updated version on my gp2x now. My impressions from the comments is that it runs better than squidge, which i'm sure it does, but for some reason everything runs with substantially slower fps than in squidge. for instance, contra iii runs fullspeed on squidge, runs around 20-30 on pocket. super mario all stars is around 40, squidge fullspeed. killer instinct @ 20, squidge, well, you get the idea. kinda disappointed because of the transparency fixes which rendered things like ff2 unplayable. :( any1 have an explanation?

I have the same issues, I think its standard. Try turning off transparencies. The real shine about this emu is that it can do transparencies and Squidge can't.

Transparencies come at a price though...a steep one.

You must pay tribute to the elfen elders in space.

You must give up yourself to the great red ape.

sexually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auritribe posted on Feb 8 2007 at 07:23 PM said:

I have the same issues, I think its standard. Try turning off transparencies. The real shine about this emu is that it can do transparencies and Squidge can't.

Transparencies come at a price though...a steep one.

You must pay tribute to the elfen elders in space.

You must give up yourself to the great red ape.

sexually.
So true. Beware: great red -EDITED OUT- :unsure:

Drop sound to 16k, you'll grab a couple of FPS with not much loss in quality.

The biggest thing is to turn Transparencies OFF for games that don't need it (most of them). You will notice a huge boost.

purple_goat posted on Feb 9 2007 at 03:44 AM said:
So true. Beware: great red penis :unsure:

***WARNING***

purple_goat, Please refrain from using the P word as it is scorned upon in these forums, For reasons you will find if you do a search.

Thank you kindly.

EDIT: Just to let you know, You may use the word in off topic till your hearts content, Just not in the rest of the forum.

Trooper

trooper posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:13 AM said:
***WARNING***

purple_goat, Please refrain from using the P word as it is scorned upon in these forums, For reasons you will find if you do a search.

Thank you kindly.

EDIT: Just to let you know, You may use the word in off topic till your hearts content, Just not in the rest of the forum.

Trooper
okay..(?)
I edited it.

would you please tell me why? :ph34r:

I justed updated the GP2X wiki entry for PocketSNES with DoReMi Fantasy and Blackthorne. DoReMi Fantasy is a true torture test, especially w/ 44KHz audio and no frameskip. If performance dips below 60 FPS, you'll notice. PocketSNES managed an impressive 57fps on average :D

Too bad Super Mario RPG still doesn't work. Should we give up on it all together? :(

I tried the new emu PocketSNES the day it came out, and I have the updated version on my gp2x now. My impressions from the comments is that it runs better than squidge

I'm afraid you have misinterpreted "runs better". PocketSnes is not faster than SquidgeSnes, in fact it is alot slower. What PocketSnes offers is correct emulation of transparencies at faster speeds (fps) that any of the other Snes emulators for the GP2X.

well, the author added on the download page that it ran most games fullspeed @ 250mhz, but i've yet to find one that can maintain even 40fps.

so i assumed that with the added transparencies that it was faster(^) and more accurate.

gp2x_caapn posted on Feb 10 2007 at 08:37 AM said:
well, the author added on the download page that it ran most games fullspeed @ 250mhz, but i've yet to find one that can maintain even 40fps.

so i assumed that with the added transparencies that it was faster(^) and more accurate.

Well gp2x_caapn again you've misinterpreted "fullspeed". This does not mean 60fps (as you would imagine), it actually means the emulator can maintain the original speed by the use of frame skip.

P.S the author did not actually upload the emulator to the file archive.

:lol: gp2x_caapn quit while you're ahead. Reesy is the author, so I think he knows what he's talking about :)

Back