Problems With Quake While Running Off Sd Card...

cobrajs

Still Fresh
I installed the firmware on an SD card, and I've been modifying it by installing a new window manager and all the development libraries. I just tried, and for some reason none of the Quakes work right. By that I mean that they load up and run fine, but they won't accept any input from the keyboard. They don't respond to anything but clicking the Pandora key, which kills it. I tried it from MiniMenu, XFCE, and my window manager (ScrotWM), and none of them (Quake1, Quake2, Quake3) accept input. I haven't had problems with any other apps yet (Descent1 & 2 work fine).

Is there a specific input library that I may have overwritten, or is there some special thing GLES or NanoGL depend on?

Allen Schmidt said:
I installed the firmware on an SD card, and I've been modifying it by installing a new window manager and all the development libraries. I just tried, and for some reason none of the Quakes work right. By that I mean that they load up and run fine, but they won't accept any input from the keyboard. They don't respond to anything but clicking the Pandora key, which kills it. I tried it from MiniMenu, XFCE, and my window manager (ScrotWM), and none of them (Quake1, Quake2, Quake3) accept input. I haven't had problems with any other apps yet (Descent1 & 2 work fine).

Is there a specific input library that I may have overwritten, or is there some special thing GLES or NanoGL depend on?

all the quakes attempt to use input controls directly from the kernel interfaces, maybe something is handling the events before the apps do. Check the log in /tmp maybe it will give some hints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I see in common between the logs from all three is this line, repeated 5-6 times:
Code:
ERROR: Could not open device: Permission denied

I'll check loaded modules and groups between the default OS and my SD card one. Sounds like the Quakes can't get permission to talk to the kernel input interface or something.

EDIT:
Problem solved. I don't know how it happened, but my /dev/input/event*'s were set to 640 permission. I changed the udev rules to have them at 664, and now the Quakes work fine (except that Quake3 NanoGL is a little wonky and ZQuake won't use my nubs). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back