Processor?

linc186

Still Fresh
Okay, back in 2007/'08 600Mhz in a handheld was insane...but in 2009 cause of the iphone, with its beautiful 800mhz and (2010) the ipad, with its holy shit! 1.7Ghz, don't you think sometime along the way in 2009...no earlier, cause they already had the MK2 board and this would be to expensive...well, sometime when they had a window of oppurtunity (if at all) couldn't thye have given us a great 800mhz? I mean, im not saying 600 is bad or even good, its fantastic and A LOT can be done with it, but the extra 200mhz would have been nice. And yes, some can argue theres no need for it....and i think i would agree to, but it could have been nice. And again, it probably would have been to expensive anyway to do it...but what if? And in no way at all is this a complaining thread saying that "Oh, the Pandora is a piece of shit because it only (yeah, only..do people listen to themselves?) has 600mhz! this is just a simple what if forum, and i love the pandora the way it is. And she'll be mah wittle buddeh when she comes in the mail in october. Maybe we can get a tailor to work on some pandora accessories. Perhaps a tux, or a fedora?

note: you only know a pandora in a fedora would be amazing....don't you dare dispute this.

linc186 said:
Giantblockoftext

The reason the pandora has the processor + OMAP it has is because it was designed a couple of years ago. Yes, it's not technically the most powerful handheld that exists, but that wasn't the point in the beginning. The device was designed to be a multifunctional handheld device, a handheld that's versatile and can be adapted to whichever situation you need/want to use it for.

Also, the iPad isn't exactly a pocketable device.

Last edited by a moderator:
linc186 said:
note: you only know a pandora in a fedora would be amazing....don't you dare dispute this.
Opensuse or Meego would be even better :D

Also what mali said.

Ahem. The iPhone 3G S (2009) is based on a 600 MHz Cortex A-8 and a PowerVR SGX 535 GPU, so it's not very different from the Pandora in terms of processing power. Granted, the iPhone's A-8 is rated for 833 MHz but it's underclocked to 600, so I don't see how the 3G S could have a very large advantage over the Pandora there. And the Cortex A-9 in the iPad runs at 1 GHz, not 1.7, which I'm guessing would put it, in terms of performance, somewhere around the HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S.

These sorts of hardware-comparison threads are nice and all (if you're a ricer) but they don't serve much purpose other than to denigrate the hardware thats already out there, in peoples hands.

We've got a great platform, 600mhz is a lot for many things, and most Pandoras can overclock to 800mhz, easily enough. I don't think it matters a damn, but iPhone users can never overclock, its not supported by Apple officially, and you'll blow it up if you do it: not so with our Pandoras.

linc186 said:
Okay, back in 2007/'08 600Mhz in a handheld was insane...but in 2009 cause of the iphone, with its beautiful 800mhz and (2010) the ipad, with its holy shit! 1.7Ghz, don't you think sometime along the way in 2009...no earlier, cause they already had the MK2 board and this would be to expensive...well, sometime when they had a window of oppurtunity (if at all) couldn't thye have given us a great 800mhz?
is that some water-cooled ipad model i'm not aware of?

I want my Panda to have a 1.21 Jigawatt processor! Is there someone who can help me mod my panda? I know how to solder (I once soldered some wires together when I was 10 for a home made flashlight). I know people are making better processors all the time so... can't I just jam a better processor in there? I heard something about OMAP12 series? Someone told me that it would be out in two months...

Back