GP2X Programming In Fenix For The Gp2x

chaozz

Still Fresh
I had a lot of trouble finding the right information to start programming in Fenix. Information is either outdated or missing, so it took a while for me to get myself going.

To save new programmers the trouble I wrote down the entire process of how to set things up. I hope it will be usefull to others.

Here is the short guide: http://www.chaozz.nl/?pageid=107

Good Stuff. Especially the GP2X specific stuff. Most of the stuff out there is GP32 related (which makes most of it the same). A lot of "would-be" programmers choose to try Fenix to get their feet wet, but end up finding out how sparse the documentation is for setting-up and coding in Fenix. Bittersweet.

Reap

chaozz said:
Very good, but its DCB not DBC
I will change that. Thanks.

You may also want to have them uncheck "Compile in Debug mode" on the compilation tab. Debug mode makes the DCB file much larger and causes random crashes when running on the GP2X (thanks Ruckage :))

I wish I'd known about this site two weeks ago. Good work!

~Pithy

Last edited by a moderator:
pithy said:
You may also want to have them uncheck "Compile in Debug mode" on the compilation tab. Debug mode makes the DCB file much larger and causes random crashes when running on the GP2X (thanks Ruckage :))
added. thanks.

thanks. :)

Exactly what I was looking for, my C++ skills aren't exactly up to par. Fenix should be easier to learn.

chaozz said:
pithy said:
added. thanks.

thanks. :)

YOu may also want to pention keeping debug mode on is goo when devving the initial builds as you can't quit out using the "x" in windows with debug mode off. You have to kill the process.

A

CODE
while(!key(_esc))frame;end;
exit();

in the main process ("program") should do the trick as well, Peter.

yeah but if you have any kind of loop going, it's going to hog your cpu, unless you put some code like quiest posted to make sure the thing actually checks if you want to quit. it might be using too much cpu for windows to "but in" and tell it to close.

rokdcasbah said:
yeah but if you have any kind of loop going, it's going to hog your cpu, unless you put some code like quiest posted to make sure the thing actually checks if you want to quit. it might be using too much cpu for windows to "but in" and tell it to close.
I see where your coming from but I don't think it's true - unless you allow fenix to have an unlimited framerate it uses relatively little CPU (just as well really since the intention is to have the code running on 2x :)).
Not really sure why it won't close without debug mode set but I normally do as Quiest said - I normally add an exit routine for 2x anyway so it's not a problem.

Back