Proper Flash support

CAZMIESTER

Ithink its about time the pandora had proper flash support imsure watching youtube on the go as well as other apps is the reason people will buy the pandora,minitube is good but still not at the standard you would expect a device like this to support anybody else agree? Maybe support should be added in this new "Yars Revenge" update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preaching to the choir there.

You want proper flash support? Go complain to Adobe. They're the ones who basically hold all the cards. Tell them that ARM is a rapidly growing market that they are slowly losing out on because of lack of support. Asking OPT for Flash won't do any good because OPT has no way of making any changes to the Flash plugin: it works exactly as well as Adobe and TI make it work, and there is nothing we can do about it.

Now, that being said, DSP support (special chip that can do complex computation on linear data like audio and video) was added to the most recent test plugin. The Pandora has a DSP chip, but currently no way to access it. I believe Notaz and DJWillis are working on upgrading the kernel so that we have access to the DSP chip, which would give the flash plugin a speed boost, but no guarantees.

I find the current flash player in firefox pretty good for the sites I use, I was able to play winter bells with it. You might want to run at 800mhz though if you are trying to watch youtube.

I find the current flash player in firefox pretty good for the sites I use, I was able to play winter bells with it. You might want to run at 800mhz though if you are trying to watch youtube.
trying to avoid overclocking it causes my pandora to freeze m8 but have tried in the past.

If it's freezing, you're clocking it too high - try a lower speed. Not all Pandoras can do all speeds, due to natural variances in production.

For example, mine freezes at 900MHz, but is fine at 850MHz. (For stuff that uses NEON, such as PCSX ReARMed, I need to clock to 750MHz, though, because NEON is not overclocking-friendly.)

Really? For PCSX-ReARMed, I can go up to 870 or so with no problem. Now, Mupen, that's another story.

Really? For PCSX-ReARMed, I can go up to 870 or so with no problem. Now, Mupen, that's another story.

I have stable OPP3 at about 875.

For OPP5 I have had stable OC @ 1.1GHZ but I dare not go any higher. I am curious though LOL. however my normal limit in the OC department is 1GHZ any higher than that I worry what lasting effect it will have on the hardware.

Flash seems pretty good here. not amazing but is good enough for now and much better than nothing. standard res youtube is working just fine. some games are slow but TBH I would never be playing those as I am spoiled for choice for games as it is!

n00b moment but what does OPP3 and OPP5 mean?

Not sure what it stands for, but the higher it is, or how it works mechanically, but the higher you set the OPP, the higher you can overclock your Pandora, thus allowing for better performance in limit-pushing software. Default is OPP3. Using anything above OPP5 voids your warranty. Setting up the OPPP is called overvolting. Setting it above OPP3 does reduce the life of your Pandora in the long run, though.

n00b moment but what does OPP3 and OPP5 mean?
They're voltage levels the Pandora can run at. 3 is what it runs on by default, 5 allows some (most?) Pandora's to stay stable at speeds up to 1GHz.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd!

OPP5 is considered "overdrive" and will reduce the life of the CPU.

From, like, a hundred years to about 20 years of standard use, but yeah...

A while ago, I asked a question about this on the TI wiki. It turns out that the response seems to be from Prabindh Sundareson, who's a graphics manager at TI. This blog post of his refers to the Cortex-A8 Flash evaluation, which may be of some interest (although it's probably already known of by Pandora developers).

Anyway, as OPT are "in business selling a physical product", perhaps it could be further investigated. There may not yet be enough cash available, but it'd be useful to know how much Adobe are talking.

The evaluation is the Flash version that is currently available on the Pandora, "accidentally" included in the latest FF4 release. That's the one we've been talking about that needs to be overclocked to run youtube videos at 240p.

Back