Ps1 On The Gp32? What Could Come Of This?

you can shut up now, extremegamer. the last thing a developer needs when he's working on something is people bashing his efforts. it's not a fake nor a waste of time. whether or not it will satisfy your personal needs is not LDChen's or our concern. i don't believe in the saying "if you don't have anything good to say, shut up", because sometimes things need constructive criticism. telling the developer to go do something else so maybe he'll do something more useful for YOU, is just being an egotistical fuck.

i feel much better.

i'm glad you feel much better but in any of my post did i say anything about this benefiting me? Will this benefit the community? Probably not. Will it benefit the individual developer and other developers? Of course.

If i had the ability to develope something, i would not waste time on something that cannot be used properly. My personal opinion and if i was a developer, i wouldn't release anything until it met or exceeded my own personal criteria. I would not start or release anything that wouldn't be playable or useful to the community. I understand developing is a hobby, but nobody gets recognition for coding for themselves, it all comes from the community behind them. So if LDChen or whoever is coding this for himself then it should've been kept to himself. When i read his post on the other board it sounded to me like he was coding this for the GP32 as a stepping stone to get it released for palm pc's. Maybe its easier if he codes GP32 and converts it to palm pc, i don't know. All i'm saying and i'm not the only person saying this so why i'm getting flamed upon is unknown, PS1 is not going to be possible on a system that cannot play SNES properly. I'm not looking for anything, i'm merely saying this is nothing to get excited about, its nothing to look forward too. Get excited about Ryleh and his emulators, at least Ryleh knows the limits of the GP32 and can code for the systems it can play, not the ones it can't play.

I'm done posting about this, didn't mean to piss people off, thought it would've been pretty obvious ps1 would not be emulated remotely properly on the Gp32.

once again, we're not talking about whether this project is feasible on such a limited system as the GP32. we're talking about your attitude towards a respected emulator author's decisions.

A agree, calling a respected coders anouncement as 'fake' is a out of order. This guy is not just an emu porter, he wrote one pretty much from scratch- I don't think he's a faker. Has anyone mailed LDchen to see what he has to say on the emu?

why doesn't he say something himself on this board? He has all kinds of crap on the palm pc board or where ever he posted this originally, but he has yet to actually chime in on a GP32 board. or am i wrong, i don't remember seeing it.

Well if I was him I certainly wouldn't want to post here amidst such hostility. Cries of fake and useless are not exactly going to encourage the bloke.

TBH this thread is degenerating into a pointless waste of time. The longer it goes on the more likely LDChen is to see it and think bollocks to the GP32 community. Close the thread FGS.

Okiedoke, I'm just going to reply to that last post of yours, extemegamer. Or at least a few bits of it...

extremegamer posted on Oct 21 2004 at 01:50 PM said:
i'm glad you feel much better but in any of my post did i say anything about this benefiting me? Will this benefit the community? Probably not. Will it benefit the individual developer and other developers? Of course.

I, and others, will benefit from the release of any PSX emu for the GP32, even in techdemo form, simply for the "it's cool" factor. I am not a developer (at least in any real sense). Ergo, your statement is false.

Indeed it could be argued that we have already benefittd from it with a rather amusing (if hot-headed at times) flame war. Which I suppose we should all say thanks for :p lol!

If i had the ability to develope something, i would not waste time on something that cannot be used properly. My personal opinion and if i was a developer, i wouldn't release anything until it met or exceeded my own personal criteria. I would not start or release anything that wouldn't be playable or useful to the community. I understand developing is a hobby, but nobody gets recognition for coding for themselves, it all comes from the community behind them.

Fine. Your opinion. No probs with that whatsoever. However, its generally considered bad manners to yell at people who don't follow the world dictated by your opinon and claim that the way they see things is pointless/useless/non-beneficial/etc. Just a thought.

You are however, perfectly entitled to your opinion :)

So if LDChen or whoever is coding this for himself then it should've been kept to himself. When i read his post on the other board it sounded to me like he was coding this for the GP32 as a stepping stone to get it released for palm pc's. Maybe its easier if he codes GP32 and converts it to palm pc, i don't know.

Surely, then, a multitude of other programs - GPMadMP3 (iirc) springs to mind, along with that excellent new !reader - should also never see the light of day. People code for themselves, but that's no reason for others not to take note and say "hmm... that's actually quite cool - thanks :)". Equally, it shouldn't prevent anyone who DOESN'T think its cool from keeping quiet.

All i'm saying and i'm not the only person saying this so why i'm getting flamed upon is unknown, PS1 is not going to be possible on a system that cannot play SNES properly. I'm not looking for anything, i'm merely saying this is nothing to get excited about, its nothing to look forward too.

You're getting flamed - or at least, disected, which is probably the same kind of thing - because we all have different notions of utility. Yours requires that a program be useful for you in order that you know about it. Most others require that it is useful to someone, and possibly of interest to them.

Oh, and I don't necessarily agree that PS1 emulation will always be impossible on a system that cannot play snes properly. After all, it need not be playable to be possible. But even then, if you jump back a year and a half or so to pre-littlejohn. The only NES emu out there was Infones (or a little further back, and there isn't anything that's worthy of note). Arguably, then, no-one should have even bothered with trying SNES emulation, ATARI ST emulation, Genesis, or even PCE on a system that couldn't even play NES games right. Yet they did, and now we have a lot of very very good emulators. And LJ to boot.

Don't ever dismiss a system out of hand. Just wait and see.

That said, I'd be extremely skeptical if LDChen told me the emu would run at full speed, or that there was an N64 emu in the works too. I just wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. I'd just ignore it.

But you're right, it is unlikely to be full speed, and therefore not much to be excited over.

Get excited about Ryleh and his emulators, at least Ryleh knows the limits of the GP32 and can code for the systems it can play, not the ones it can't play.

I'm done posting about this, didn't mean to piss people off, thought it would've been pretty obvious ps1 would not be emulated remotely properly on the Gp32.

Its not the impossibility of it in your opinion that's pissing people off - its your attitude to utility. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because something is deemed impossible, even by the general community, doesn't mean it IS impossible. If had no people who take risks like this, and try to push things beyond their limit, then we would be sorely lacking in progress.

generalnmx posted on Oct 21 2004 at 08:25 PM said:
Just because something is deemed impossible, even by the general community, doesn't mean it IS impossible. If had no people who take risks like this, and try to push things beyond their limit, then we would be sorely lacking in progress.

But it is just math. The GP32 is not magic. Certain things ARE impossible to emulate and be playable period. Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, PSX, Saturn, Cray supercomputer, all impossible to emulate and be playable on the GP32, no matter how many "risks" and "trys" you would make.

Nothing is impossible. Just intensely unlikely at times.

1) When something is not observed it could be in any state. Think whatshisname's cat.
2) Among those states includes one where it is perpetually emulating a Cray Supercomputer or even more powerful machine.
3) Ergo a piece of paper, or the GP32, or anything, could natively emulate ANY piece of hardware whatsoever with no emulator being written for it. As long as no-one's looking.

Tobriand posted on Oct 22 2004 at 08:34 AM said:

1) When something is not observed it could be in any state. Think whatshisname's cat.
2) Among those states includes one where it is perpetually emulating a Cray Supercomputer or even more powerful machine.
3) Ergo a piece of paper, or the GP32, or anything, could natively emulate ANY piece of hardware whatsoever with no emulator being written for it. As long as no-one's looking.

Dude no offense but if may be wise to lay off of the posting after having several pints :D

I am not looking now so my GP32 could be emulating an Xbox running Halo2 ?

Tobriand posted on Oct 22 2004 at 09:34 AM said:

WTF....
oohhh.... I am the "Architect" I can use big words...

lol....

DaveC posted on Oct 22 2004 at 07:01 PM said:
Tobriand posted on Oct 22 2004 at 08:34 AM said:

Dude no offense but if may be wise to lay off of the posting after having several pints :D

I am not looking now so my GP32 could be emulating an Xbox running Halo2 ?
:eek: If it is M$ will hunt you down. It's not officially released yet :ph34r:. Although, they wouldn't be able to prove it was running, because as soon as they look at it, it might stop.

I have a theory that when I fall asleep, I become some super stud, as I'm not looking at or aware of myself. Well, that's what the dreams I have would suggest :).

Edit: Who was it that said "If you stand on 1 side of a wall for long enough, you will eventually materialize on the other side of it."? It's the same principle I suppose :).

Basically, its the way quantum physics works. I think the traditional non-quantum example is where some bloke sticks a cat in a box with a radioactive compound that, with one more decay, will become toxic and kill the cat. Or some poisoned food, or whatever. Once the lid is closed, to us who are outside of the box, the cat could be either living or dead - we don't know. So what we say is that there's a probability wave that includes both probabilities as actualities that's actually going on inside the box.

In essence, in the box there is a dead cat and a living one and they;re the same animal.

Once the box is opened, the probabilitiy wave collapses and we find out if the cat is, on observation, alive or dead. But until we check, we can't be sure.

Same principle - unless you constantly check on whether the GP32 is not running a Cray Supercomputer emu on it, then it must be.

Again, the same kind of question as the "if a tree falls in a forest where there's no-one to hear, does it make a sound - or even exist?" one.

However, I digress... in normal circumstances, I'd agree that the systems mentioned being emulated on our favourite handheld would be, at best, far fetched...

Meh me thinks it would be better if he spent his time emulating the systems we need that are possible, eg: mame, MD, SNES, Neogeo pocket etc.
Oh well his choice.

hmm i think a not playable psx emu is more intresting than an Mame port which plays only few old games which are better emulated on other systems. Mame is a very slow emu, not much optimized i think

Rlyeh said he could maybe get up to 91 or 92, I think thats quite a few arcade games.

technicly, if a tree falls in a forest and ther is no one there to hear it, then no sound is made
thats a fact
what is made is vibrations in the air
It only becomes sound when Our ears and brains interpret the vibrations into what we know as sound
so, In reallity, there is never sound, ever, anywhere, just a lot of vibrations

cmon, someone challenge that, I feel like a pointless argument ( o wait, Im in one! )

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Oct 24 2004 at 12:41 AM said:
technicly, if a tree falls in a forest and ther is no one there to hear it, then no sound is made
thats a fact
what is made is vibrations in the air
It only becomes sound when Our ears and brains interpret the vibrations into what we know as sound
so, In reallity, there is never sound, ever, anywhere, just a lot of vibrations

cmon, someone challenge that, I feel like a pointless argument ( o wait, Im in one! )

~Octavious

It depends on your definiton of sound, there will still be sound waves even if there is no one to hear it.

Back