Ps3 Laser - Where To Get It?

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I'm fixing up an old PS3 Phat 80GB model, and I think it may need a replacement laser. The problem is that I don't really know where the best place to buy one is, and I don't want to buy a really cheap or shoddy one by mistake. I also think there might be different lasers, so I don't want to get the wrong one.

The serial number ends in CECHE01

Vid of my problems:
Sorry if it's choppy; Youtube butchered my video.

When my friend fixed his PS3, he bought a broken one off ebay for $50.

WizardStan said:
When my friend fixed his PS3, he bought a broken one off ebay for $50.
That actually might be less expensive than buying a laser.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.quantronics.com.au/products/ps3/lasers

Not much in stock (and Australian, probably not much use to you) but a good starting point for some research.

dealextreme has every laser there is, that being said, theres like 15 of em... :| know what youre buying, theyre around $43 last i checked, and make sure its the actual laser thats at fault, and that it cant be cleaned, many people change their laser only to find out that the little $5 sensor that tells the ps3 if theres a disc in the ps3 is broken

DaMummy said:
dealextreme has every laser there is, that being said, theres like 15 of em... :| know what youre buying, theyre around $43 last i checked, and make sure its the actual laser thats at fault, and that it cant be cleaned, many people change their laser only to find out that the little $5 sensor that tells the ps3 if theres a disc in the ps3 is broken
Hm... There's one thing I didn't try: greasing the laser's tracks.

I could upload a video of what's happening. When I insert a PS3 game disc, it accepts it and starts to spin for a couple of seconds, stops for a couple of seconds, and repeats that a few times before giving up. I can hear the laser focusing, but I can't hear or see it moving. With music CDs, nothing happens. I'm very sure that the component that senses the availability of a disc is, in fact, working.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a problem with my PS3 not reading discs once too - specifically blu rays - I sent it back to Sony though and they fixed it (for free out of warranty, which was pretty awesome), though when I got it back it was broken in a much worse way! They did fix it again though, for free.

Anyways, good luck!

Back