Psp Emulation

DrLGR

I've done a quick search and haven't found anything on if PSP emulation might be possible or worthwhile.

The FAQ says that pretty much nothing newer than the PSX will/can be emulated well, but I wasn't sure if the PSP is based on the PSX technology, which would maybe allow it to be emulated by the Pandora.

So I would boil it down to two seperate questions:
1.) Is the PSP based on the PSX or is it a newer system that goes way beyond the PSX?
2.) If the PSP could be emulated would it be worth it when they are readily available?

Thanks for the info.

//LGR

PSP won't be possible, because the Pandora is just a bit stronger. I dont think its possible

LGR said:
So I would boil it down to two seperate questions:
1.) Is the PSP based on the PSX or is it a newer system that goes way beyond the PSX?
2.) If the PSP could be emulated would it be worth it when they are readily available?
1.) The only similarity between the PSP and PSX is that they are both made by Sony. The hardware is completely different. The PSP emulates PSX games in software, just like the Pandora will. The PSP's processing and 3D capabilities are actually closer to the PS2 than to the PSX.

2.) There will never be a functional PSP emulator for the Pandora, so the question is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come back in 5-10 Years. Hardware which isn't very old, can't be emulated yet.

Thanks for the info.

As you can tell, I'm not well educated as far as what has what kind of hardware. Thanks again.

|LGR

If the development houses wanted to they could recompile PSP games for the Pandora and they would fly.

Alas they won't do that, apart from maybe in private.

javaJake said:
Maybe there should be a note next to PSX that says "PSX means PS1, not PS2, PSP, or PS3". :p
I hate when people do that - it's so stupid "PSX". Just say PS1 for f's sake! It's not like it's harder to type or something, and it's *MUCH* less confusing.

And, no, I don't care what the code name for the first PS1 was - everyone knows what a PS1 is - not everyone knows (or cares) about the PlayStation Extreme.

You need considerably better hardware to emulate then to play the games on the original. if the console is based on arm architecture people *might* be able to make a compatibility layer, but that's the only way you could use games from a system almost as fast as the Pandora.

craigix said:
If the development houses wanted to they could recompile PSP games for the Pandora and they would fly.

And if one did happen to have an ISO of a public domain homebrew game for the PSP - how would one recompile said ISO to run on the Pandora, good sir?

Hiroe said:
if the console is based on arm architecture people *might* be able to make a compatibility layer, but that's the only way you could use games from a system almost as fast as the Pandora.

Yep. Unfortunatelly, the PSP uses the dreaded MIPS architecture.
chad78 said:
And if one did happen to have an ISO of a public domain homebrew game for the PSP - how would one recompile said ISO to run on the Pandora, good sir?

One would have to happen to have the source.

You'd need the source, then you'd go through the normal steps of porting any linux program?

I know, we'll use a compatibility layer and qemu. no wait. that's a really bad idea

Hiroe said:
You'd need the source, then you'd go through the normal steps of porting any linux program over?
You're talking to a Mac user. These "Normal steps" you speak of are foreign, frightening , and unknown to me.

But, suffice to say, I have not the source - so it doesn't matter.

chad78 said:
javaJake said:
Maybe there should be a note next to PSX that says "PSX means PS1, not PS2, PSP, or PS3". :p
I hate when people do that - it's so stupid "PSX". Just say PS1 for f's sake! It's not like it's harder to type or something, and it's *MUCH* less confusing.

Nah, psx was the name for the original playstation waaaaay before the term PS1 was termed. That was just what the miniature version of the psx was. Historical accuracy, I say :). Especially in light of, for instance, the continued usage of PC-Engine, which I'd expect to cause *far* more confusion to be honest, simply because fewer people have come across it.

craigix said:

Heh... Depends on what licensing deals they had to make to get published on the platform...

...and whether the people that're lurking and chatting in the forums that're affiliated with dev houses succeed in their little pet projects on the dev units or not. ;)

chad78 said:
You're talking to a Mac user. These "Normal steps" you speak of are foreign, frightening , and unknown to me.
Heh... If you're a Mac developer, they'd be the same ones for your platform for the large part. >:)

The steps are either simple, if you're lucky.
If not, they're a bit involved, but nothing undoable.

Of course, as you said, no source access (Heh...It's good to be a developer for a publisher's porting team...)- that makes it a bit difficult.

Tobriand said:
Nah, psx was the name for the original playstation waaaaay before the term PS1 was termed. That was just what the miniature version of the psx was. Historical accuracy, I say :). Especially in light of, for instance, the continued usage of PC-Engine, which I'd expect to cause *far* more confusion to be honest, simply because fewer people have come across it.
Of course the PS1 wasn't called the PS1 until there was a PS2 (otherwise everything would have a 1 after it). But, as has been stated, PSX looks like PS* or PS_ to (I won't say all, or a lot, or most - but I'm thinking it) some people. Since the others are obviously PS2 and PS3 - the first system should be called PS1 - not for historical accuracy, but for the sake of continuality.

And, after I looked it up, "PC-Engine" should always be called TurboGrafx-16 - or TG16 for short. PC-Engine has got to be the dumbest name for a game system - EVAR. And, yeah, it's worse than WonderSwan.

PSX, and also, if i don't remember wrong, the developer version of the PlayStation (PS) was actually nicknamed PSX by Sony personnel. Everyone, and all there friends called the PS "PSX" from day one tho, so there shouldn't really be any need for confusion.
B!

Tobriand said:
Nah, psx was the name for the original playstation waaaaay before the term PS1 was termed. That was just what the miniature version of the psx was.
PS1 stands for PlayStation One - it's a natural acronym that Sony co-opted as a marketing ploy. If you are going to go by the silly names that Sony gives to things than the PSX was that DVR/Playstation 2 that was only released in Japan.

The one that really gets me is "GCN". Why is the N even included? It's completely redundant in the first place, and in the second, they put it in the wrong spot. "Game Cube Nintendo"? What the hell?

shmuck said:
Tobriand said:
Nah, psx was the name for the original playstation waaaaay before the term PS1 was termed. That was just what the miniature version of the psx was.
PS1 stands for PlayStation One - it's a natural acronym that Sony co-opted as a marketing ploy. If you are going to go by the silly names that Sony gives to things than the PSX was that DVR/Playstation 2 that was only released in Japan.

The one that really gets me is "GCN". Why is the N even included? It's completely redundant in the first place, and in the second, they put it in the wrong spot. "Game Cube Nintendo"? What the hell?

it was to go along with the 3 letter acronym thing they had going. the only one that really broke that was the snes. GCN was kinda natural. though i dont know who called it the GCN first.

sephiroth111 said:
shmuck said:
Tobriand said:

it was to go along with the 3 letter acronym thing they had going. the only one that really broke that was the snes. GCN was kinda natural. though i dont know who called it the GCN first.

I don't know anything about the GCN, I always thought it would be the the NGC, the DC wasn't called the SDC or the DCS was it? (not that it was ever "mainstream" after the first year or so.)

PS, the real GCN http://www.gaychristian.net/ (I didn't go in there, it was just the 4th option on the google search of "GCN")

If it makes you feel any better NGC didn't turn up anything either.

PPS. I know all about "the PSX" and yes I will continue calling the Playstation the PSX, so :p :p :p, sorry :lol: . Even one of the best emulators is ePSXe.

Back