Psp Vs Gp2x

spyhunter

Still Fresh
I currently own a PSP and only really use it for Homebrew (eg: MAME) and Music and playing Vids in the car!!
Just wondered if the GP2X is capable of doing all of this the same as the PSP

In other words, playing MP4 Vid files (they don't get stuck on the PSP), MP3 files
and easily from the menu system?

Is the MP3/Video player on the GP2X any good? Easy to use, configurable etc etc

Thanks,

Spyhunter

MP3 player is easy accesable from the menu and basic but good and it plays .ogg files wich are basicly mp3 files but smaller.

Movie player has a few problems but most of them are solved in an update, you can download it from the archive.

Paradox posted on Oct 10 2006 at 11:37 AM said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded. There are several thousand GP2X vs PSP topics on this forum, many discussions about the movie and music players.

The last thing we need is yet another Holy War :(

Last edited by a moderator:
DTH posted on Oct 10 2006 at 12:29 PM said:
MP3 player is easy accesable from the menu and basic but good and it plays .ogg files wich are basicly mp3 files but smaller.
ogg vorbis also has the advantage though, of being designed for music, thereby being considerably better quality. plus it is a free (as in beer and freedom) format, free of royalties, patents, and other sorts of crap.

Thanks for the comments.

so thats the mp3/music player sorted, but what is the video player really like?
what has the updates changed on it?

i want the GP2X and are going to sell the PSP for it (on ebay) so want to be double-sure?!

damn no mp4 - all my films have been converted to mp4 for the psp!!! damn damn damn

is it something that will be implemented in an update?
and does the video freeze like I have read about on these forums a bit with the latest firmware (v2??)

Video playback on this thing is ace. For best results re-encode your footage with PocketDivX, and set the player to Normal. Never had no problems myself :)

- Alex

sounds good - thanks.

although the back of retro gamer this month has the GP2X advert and I have just noticed it states,
"PLAY THE MOST POPULAR FORMATS.. MPEG4, DIVX and XVID Movies...."

Mpeg4 and .mp4 are two different things. Xvid and Divx are implementations of the mpeg4 standard, and mp4 is a container format like avi. So yes, the advert is correct - the gp2x supports some variants of mpeg4, but not .mp4 files.

there is a magazine called Retro Gamer? Argh why did old games have to be thrust into the pop culture. Now a days you talk to someone and be like "Ahh I remember the good ol' days of NES"
(some 15 year old kid) "Yeah NES was the shit"
"Oh so you use to have a NES too?"
"No but ever t-shirt I bought from Hot Topic has some old school gaming thing on it. 0ld $k00l roxs!!"
"Oh no, he is talking in 1337, everyone run!!!"

I bought a GP2X since im an attention hog, living in a big city im suprised I havent bump into someone that knows or owns a GP2X. Man im enjoying this :D

Lupin posted on Oct 10 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
there is a magazine called Retro Gamer? Argh why did old games have to be thrust into the pop culture. Now a days you talk to someone and be like "Ahh I remember the good ol' days of NES"
"No but ever t-shirt I bought from Hot Topic has some old school gaming thing on it. 0ld $k00l roxs!!"
I've never, ever met someone like this. Usually stupid teenagers don't pretend to know about old systems, they just rattle on and on about how old systems suck because Halo 2 has better graphics and is the greatest game in the history of mankind or the existance of the universe.

Also, Retro Gamer is an awesome magazine. It has nothing to do with pop culture, and it's hard to even find outside of the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if it's hard to find IN the UK. They had trouble finding a means to pay for MAKING it even, since their reader base is pretty small. The whole magazine is geared toward people around 20+ who were growing up back in the good old days of gaming, or people much older who were in the scene in the 70s..

20+ nice, i haven't been 20+ for about 10 odd years hehe

I subscribe to RG and sell on ebay to customers abroad for more than my subscription, sweet ah!! I get a good read and my money back lol

so you all think I should sell my PSP for the GP2X???

If you're only using the PSP for homebrew, then yes. I've found the GP2X much better for emulation (both hardware-wise: screen and controls, and emus: MAME in particular is MUCH better), and media playing is fine. I use Oldplay for music, which is superb, playing not only MP3/OGG, but Commodore 64 SID tunes, SNES sound files, Amiga tracks, etc. The video player has been fine for me (though basic), but I don't use it a lot for that. A homebrew player is in beta stage which is a big improvement. And playing Divx/Xvid is a LOT handier than just playing mp4 :)

Epicenter posted on Oct 10 2006 at 01:59 PM said:
Lupin posted on Oct 10 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
I've never, ever met someone like this. Usually stupid teenagers don't pretend to know about old systems, they just rattle on and on about how old systems suck because Halo 2 has better graphics and is the greatest game in the history of mankind or the existance of the universe.

Also, Retro Gamer is an awesome magazine. It has nothing to do with pop culture, and it's hard to even find outside of the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if it's hard to find IN the UK. They had trouble finding a means to pay for MAKING it even, since their reader base is pretty small. The whole magazine is geared toward people around 20+ who were growing up back in the good old days of gaming, or people much older who were in the scene in the 70s..
I agree it is a great magazine. I'm lucky because my local Barne's and Noble usually has a couple imported issue in stock.

Ive had my psp for about a month now and can't get enough homebrew. I love the gp2x, but I don't think it is has fulfilled my expectations just yet. I beleive that in about a year, there is a good chance that I will be using my gp2x way more than my psp, but for now - that is not the case.

I love the screen of the psp. I know how emulation is fits better on the gp2x's, but when I watch a movie on the psp, its definitely worth the black bars on the sides. I don't mind them at all.

As for emulation, the gp2x is great at what it does. Drmd could kick ass against any genesis/sms/gg emu for psp. However, I think it is worth the trade-off when you can get a great snes emulator and the genesis/sms/gg emulator for psp is ok. Mame wasn't something I was really psyched about having so that wasn't really an issue. I find it hard to get roms working on both.

The wifi capabilities of the psp open up so much. I can't tell you how much I love holding a portable web browser, email reader, and vnc client in my hand. The battery is very different. For me, plugging it into the wall is much easier than pulling off the back of my gp2x, getting the batteries out, and putting them into the charger. I have already lost the back to my gp2x battery thing.

If you sold your psp and bought a gp2x, it would definitely not be a mistake, but you might consider waiting a bit. By the way, I still have and play my gp2x. I love the psx emulator that just came out. Thanks zottd. These are the types of things that will help put the gp2x over the psp. Its just a mattter of time. Im lucky that I have both.

spyhunter posted on Oct 10 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
20+ nice, i haven't been 20+ for about 10 odd years hehe

I subscribe to RG and sell on ebay to customers abroad for more than my subscription, sweet ah!! I get a good read and my money back lol

so you all think I should sell my PSP for the GP2X???

No, just save up and get a Gp2X as well. SNES will always be better on the PSP, as will movies. The higher resolution widescreen of the PSP is better suited for movies and it seems like that is what you do alot of. The GP2X screen fits emus better and does not need scaling so that has an advantage for emulators. So I would say save up and get a GP2X and keep the PSP.

Back