Psx Emulator For The Wiz?

Whats wrong with connecting a USB controller to the Wiz? You could simply connect a Dual shock > psx - PC converter > Wiz.

Thats the controller out of the way! Well actually you need a stand as well now.

failedartifact said:
Whats wrong with connecting a USB controller to the Wiz? You could simply connect a Dual shock > psx - PC converter > Wiz.

Thats the controller out of the way! Well actually you need a stand as well now.
That's not very practical on the go haha. I still play my "launch" ps1 console on the TV and every game I have is played with the D-Pad. Also I use my psp for psx on the go, and I don't ever have to use the analog on it. Most of the games I play on it don't even have analog support. Not having any analog is really not a big issue at all unless the only games you ever play is with an analog controller. That wouldn't be very many ps1 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a quick idea for the lack of buttons. If the touchscreen is capable of detecting human finger presses well, then the method for gamepad used on the iPhone for emulators could be copied. Where a faint outline of certain button is overlapped onto the screen, so the user can tap virtual buttons for controls like select, or even for the secondary shoulder buttons.

Virtual buttons is not a good idea, for one, it will be a little differcult to implement, and two the screen is small enough, to have big enough visable buttons on the screen at the same time of playing a game.. well! why don't you just make it a 1"x 1" screen.

Lets face it, Gamepark didn't really think this GP2x through either.

There is no lack of buttons: L and R on downside on gamepad could be nice mapped to Vol- and Vol+ buttons at the bottom of the Wiz. These two buttons are rarely IMHO heavy-used. For instance : potions and spell stuff in Diablo and DarkStone. There is no problem reaching these two.

Touchscreen is could be cool for emulator menu :)

Mattz said:
I just had a quick idea for the lack of buttons. If the touchscreen is capable of detecting human finger presses well, then the method for gamepad used on the iPhone for emulators could be copied. Where a faint outline of certain button is overlapped onto the screen, so the user can tap virtual buttons for controls like select, or even for the secondary shoulder buttons.
iphone is multi touch, which is why that works.

Great entertaining thread - it never ceases to amaze me how quickly these threads explode - and how unjustifiably rude people get...

I think the one thing everyone might want to bare in mind is that 99% of the software for the GP32, GP2X and I expect the Wiz and Pandora is written by people who write it because they want to. Therefore, if somebody wants to write a PSX emulator they will - regardless of whether the platform is 'capable' of it or not...

Rather than arguing about it, I think it's better to just sit back and see what arrives...

Dont get me wrong i dont know too much about this. But shouldn't the wiz be able to emulate the psx 100% the hardware is better than the psp's but the problem is we dont have sony making a emulator for us. But technically hardware standpoints it should be able to run a full speed psx emu right?

1) Yes, the Wiz has the necessary specifications to emulate PSX full speed.

2) Sony make a PSX emulator for PSP? Surely not? I thought Sony hated homebrew/open source on their console with a passion.

Darth Gazak said:
1) Yes, the Wiz has the necessary specifications to emulate PSX full speed.

2) Sony make a PSX emulator for PSP? Surely not? I thought Sony hated homebrew/open source on their console with a passion.
surely so my friend they made it for downloading original games of the psn and it got cracked by hackers. Dark-Alex i believe ive used it many times and you rarely need a analog stick which is a bonus for the wiz.

Most PS1 games use horizontal resolutions on the lower side of the scale and double vertical (interlaced) is not used that much either (relatively speaking)... let's get our facts straight.

darkriku said:
surely so my friend they made it for downloading original games of the psn and it got cracked by hackers. Dark-Alex i believe ive used it many times and you rarely need a analog stick which is a bonus for the wiz.
true too, everyone knows that psp "analog" stick is almost unusable and still psx games runs pretty well using the dpad...
It's also true that the sony psx emulator for psp is very well done (obviously, they are the makers of both the systems) so it's true that the Wiz is more powerful than the psp but it's also true that a really good psx emulator is needed for having both a wide games support and good speed.
psx4all is awesome but the gp2x version lacks of 3d hardware support, i hope the spanish developer working on it received the openGL ES iphone code from zodtdd or directly the one that's in the works for the pandora

CronoTriggerfan said:
I hope this emulator is out at launch! As much as GPH is pushing homebrew and as cool as some stuff is, we all know why the bulk of us buy these kinds of devices. :p
Fuck off. Pandora may be 100% emulators but the Wiz is just as much homebrew games as it is. You may buy them for that reason but you do not speak for everyone.

Peter R said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
I hope this emulator is out at launch! As much as GPH is pushing homebrew and as cool as some stuff is, we all know why the bulk of us buy these kinds of devices. :p
Fuck off. Pandora may be 100% emulators but the Wiz is just as much homebrew games as it is. You may buy them for that reason but you do not speak for everyone.

Yeah a hell of a lot of people use it for developing homebrew. Which is one reason why there's so much for the GP2X and the MAIN reason it is open source in the first place. We're just lucky that some devs like to port emu's or make emulators from scratch.

what? who never tried an emulator on the gp2x? :)

the main applications are the emulators, and gph knows it too, even if the homebrew scene is so cool gph customers are mostly retrogamers, and then indie gamers..

and i'm both. :D

i really hope in a good psx emulator at launch too, GPH should send a wiz to zodtdd (and even more)

Peter R said:
CronoTriggerfan said:

Woah, a little snippy there, are we? It's an opinion, just like yours. And to think, after all the great arguments we've had up to this point, "Fuck off" is the best you've got for me? You don't deserve that House avatar, as Hugh Laurie would be ashamed at your lack of wit and sarcasm. :p

Hugh Laurie isn't witty, he is just good at looking vacant and making faces; his better half, Stephen Fry, is very witty however!

I am sure the majority here are looking to see what emulators get ported to this system, and how good they are, before jumping in and buying one...

Peter R said:
Lighten up, Pete.

Back