Question About The Psx Emulator

Spadoof

Website
Visit site
Dear readers,

I would first like to say that this thread is more so directed at zodttd, but if anyone knows anything about my question feel free to post. Anyways my question is about the upcoming psx emulator. I noticed when playing the psx emulator for my computer earlier that it contain mutiple configuration for each of the pluggins, some of which are needed to be be set to play certain games. I don't know whether I jus using a bad emulator (ePSXe), but when the time comes for the psx emulator to come out for the Pandora, are we going to have to go through and change the pluggin settings for different games? I understand that this is a very generalized question and can probably only be anserwed by speculation. But when thinking apon this something else can to mind. I remeber the gp2x GBA emulator (GPSP) had a list of names to name your roms so that the emulator would automatically set settings that corisponded with the games to give optimized results. Will the psx emulator for the Pandora use this idea as well? Again I understand that it is not out yet, but I didnt think it would hurt to ask if somebody knew.

Thanks for listening,
-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine :pandora1:

Spadoof said:
Dear readers,

I would first like to say that this thread is more so directed at zodttd, but if anyone knows anything about my question feel free to post. Anyways my question is about the upcoming psx emulator. I noticed when playing the psx emulator for my computer earlier that it contain mutiple configuration for each of the pluggins, some of which are needed to be be set to play certain games. I don't know whether I jus using a bad emulator (ePSXe), but when the time comes for the psx emulator to come out for the Pandora, are we going to have to go through and change the pluggin settings for different games? I understand that this is a very generalized question and can probably only be anserwed by speculation. But when thinking apon this something else can to mind. I remeber the gp2x GBA emulator (GPSP) had a list of names to name your roms so that the emulator would automatically set settings that corisponded with the games to give optimized results. Will the psx emulator for the Pandora use this idea as well? Again I understand that it is not out yet, but I didnt think it would hurt to ask if somebody knew.

Thanks for listening,

Zod and I actually had a conversation about such a feature that would save configuration settings based on the game. (Both normal settings and control configs) We were talking about it because I was discussing some emulator standards that I wished anyone who ported an emu would adopt. He seemed to think that saving configs was a good idea, so I would think that he would add it in. Although I don't know if it will be there initially.

Note: I never used his PSX emu for the GP2X, so he could already have such a feature and I may be unaware.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thank you very much for sharing. I was just thinking about how annoying it would be to have to constantly change the setting............................ If anyone can confirm that ^ just post it!

Thanks,

If Zod does use that feature I hope PSX4Pandora changes settings, not by PSX game letter names, but by their unique SLUS, SLPM, etc... ID numbers so renaming the files is unnecessary. When you save a game with EPSXE(awesome emulator BTW!), it uses the game ID also. I hope someday Zods-Tinnus's emulator can do what that one can do now at version 1.70 with Pete's Plugins. ;)

Hey, I can assure you the graphics are already nearly as good as Pete's... ;) (actually in some cases they are better) You can check the other psx4all topics to see them. I was personally quite stunned by the Crash 3 shots :)

About saving settings, yeah, that's likely to be in there. Although there shouldn't be any need to change as many settings as PC emulators do, mainly because most of these are needed due to different hardware (Video and Sound cards). Since the Pandora hardware is standardized, there shouldn't be much to configure except turning sound on/off and the controls :)

Spadoof said:
Dear readers,

Thanks for listening,

As far as computers are concerned, if you want to play PSX games and have access to a G3 or better mac that can run os 9 (NOT CLASSIC), Connectix Virtual Game Station is probably the best psx emulator. It will run on ANY g3 mac, except the very first g3 powerbook. Even an original bondi blue imac can run it. I use my emac to run psx games and it works great with no plug-ins, bioses or anything. You can't buy it anymore (Sony bought it after loosing in court), but it's pretty easy to find.

Chris

christo930 said:
As far as computers are concerned, if you want to play PSX games and have access to a G3 or better mac that can run os 9 (NOT CLASSIC), Connectix Virtual Game Station is probably the best psx emulator. It will run on ANY g3 mac, except the very first g3 powerbook. Even an original bondi blue imac can run it. I use my emac to run psx games and it works great with no plug-ins, bioses or anything. You can't buy it anymore (Sony bought it after loosing in court), but it's pretty easy to find.

Chris
dang, my only g3 Mac is an original iBook. =/

On a semi-related note.
If you are looking for a windows/linux PS1 emulator that just works without needing to juggle a bunch of game specific settings i'd suggest pSXE. Runs everything i've thrown at it flawlessly so far, though i haven't tried it's linux build.

Spectralist said:
Runs everything i've thrown at it flawlessly so far, though i haven't tried it's linux build.
The Linux build of pSX is equally good, I can confirm. :p

Tom` said:
christo930 said:

Chris
dang, my only g3 Mac is an original iBook. =/

That model works (the clamshell ibook), it's just the very first g3 powerbook. If memory serves me correctly it's called a wallstreet? Besides this one model, any g3 or better mac that can boot into os9 will run it great, even a g3 233. Connectix really knew their shit.
EDIT: There is also a pc version. If the mac version is any indication, it probably will run psx games on older pc's that the modern psx emulators won't run on.
Chris

Back