Psx Emu For Pandora

darien said:
Will still need the bios on file.
You mean the PSX bios? I don't know of any emulator that comes with it anyway. Same thing here, get the emulator and you're on your own getting the PSX bios.

Last edited by a moderator:
scph1001.bin Could be a file you may need.. Just a guess

If that is a file name that you may need, then try google :ph34r: <- Like a ninja!

kingoddball said:
scph1001.bin Could be a file you may need.. Just a guess

If that is a file name that you may need, then try google :ph34r: <- Like a ninja!
Yeah, that's one of them, there are a few. You can also pull it off of your PSX, I don't know how and it might require modding a PSX, I have no idea.

Yes, there are many, but the file name above will work for all games and emulators that I know of.
I've always used that and it's worked..

I don't think Bleem is open source, but it's a great Emu and it uses the same bios.
I'm not sure what bios Bleemcast (Sega DreamCast Bleem) uses, if someone knows how I can view the contents of my Sega DC games, I can try and extract it for you?

Yeah, I'm guessing all CD based consoles require a bios (N64 does not, which is why I'm guessing at CD based).

Yes. you are right. No more shonky BIOS talk..
Previous post edited to remove the risky business talk.

Has anyone used the PSX Emulator to see what features/options are already available?

I've been looking into GP2PSX and its not the best. Most games are around 6fps.

I think it was said that 30 fps was achieved on the Pandora and that was before they got the GPU working. It might have been 60, I can't remember. Anyway, it looks like full speed PSX.

kingoddball said:
Yes, there are many, but the file name above will work for all games and emulators that I know of.

I don't think Bleem is open source, but it's a great Emu and it uses the same bios.
I'm not sure what bios Bleemcast (Sega DreamCast Bleem) uses, if someone knows how I can view the contents of my Sega DC games, I can try and extract it for you?

Bleem hasn't been a "great emu" for about 10 years

kingoddball said:
Another quick question..
Will all the emulators, including PSX and N64 (beta's etc) be available to install via the Package manager or do we have to download these on our own computers and install to SD card like the GP2X??

There is no "Package Manager", at least, not like what you're thinking of. You're thinking of something like Synaptic. The Pandora'll have an "App Store" - a website where you can download and/or purchase software for the Pandora. A bunch of the devs created a special packaging system, so you'll just have to download one file and put it on your SD card (wherever you want on the SD card) and it'll be "installed". It's quite easy. You can even download them from your Pandora, as you'll have WiFi and a web browser. :)

kingoddball said:

sorry, but I think that bleem was the only emulator that didn't need a bios, otherwise it would have lost his case against sony...

Vorporeal said:
kingoddball said:
Another quick question..
Will all the emulators, including PSX and N64 (beta's etc) be available to install via the Package manager or do we have to download these on our own computers and install to SD card like the GP2X??

There is no "Package Manager", at least, not like what you're thinking of. You're thinking of something like Synaptic. The Pandora'll have an "App Store" - a website where you can download and/or purchase software for the Pandora. A bunch of the devs created a special packaging system, so you'll just have to download one file and put it on your SD card (wherever you want on the SD card) and it'll be "installed". It's quite easy. You can even download them from your Pandora, as you'll have WiFi and a web browser. :)
If there are requirements for a program that you see on the App Store it will take care of them like a package manager. I don't think they're going to pack every dependency in every program, that's redundant. If they do it will create a lot of wasted space. I hope things will be a little more sorted out than they were on the GP2X.

EDIT: He was asking about the Ångström package manager, and yes, the Pandora will have the Ångström package manager, no reason to strip it out.

second exodous said:
Vorporeal said:
kingoddball said:
Another quick question..

If there are requirements for a program that you see on the App Store it will take care of them like a package manager. I don't think they're going to pack every dependency in every program, that's redundant. If they do it will create a lot of wasted space. I hope things will be a little more sorted out than they were on the GP2X.

EDIT: He was asking about the Ångström package manager, and yes, the Pandora will have the Ångström package manager, no reason to strip it out.

It didn't seem to me like he was asking about ipkg... Either way, stuff won't be available through ipkg. It'll be used almost exclusively for firmware updates, IIRC. This is because it can only really install to NAND.

Most (if not all) of the major/common libraries will be included in the NAND as part of the firmware. If a game uses a non-standard library though, it'll be packaged with the game. This is done mainly to prevent software incompatibilities arising because two different programs require two different (and incompatible) versions of a library. Also, libraries generally aren't that large (especially ones that wouldn't be included in the firmware by default), and with SD cards being as large as they are nowadays, the occasional duplicate library inside a PND shouldn't end up wasting much space.

Vorporeal said:
second exodous said:
Vorporeal said:
kingoddball said:
Another quick question..

It didn't seem to me like he was asking about ipkg... Either way, stuff won't be available through ipkg. It'll be used almost exclusively for firmware updates, IIRC. This is because it can only really install to NAND.

Most (if not all) of the major/common libraries will be included in the NAND as part of the firmware. If a game uses a non-standard library though, it'll be packaged with the game. This is done mainly to prevent software incompatibilities arising because two different programs require two different (and incompatible) versions of a library. Also, libraries generally aren't that large (especially ones that wouldn't be included in the firmware by default), and with SD cards being as large as they are nowadays, the occasional duplicate library inside a PND shouldn't end up wasting much space.
Is this just ARM Linux? I might just always have my OS in SD slot 1 so I can update it, I plan on installing Gentoo anyway. I've never run Linux on ARM, just on x86, so this is all new to me.

I'll find it really unfortunate if ported code doesn't make it into the Ångström code base, I'm sure someone using Ångström on another device would like to just use the repositories to install it.

Is what just ARM Linux? (The architecture shouldn't matter anyway, Linux is still just Linux independent of what type of machine it's running on.)

Vorporeal said:
Is what just ARM Linux? (The architecture shouldn't matter anyway, Linux is still just Linux independent of what type of machine it's running on.)
Oops, I probably should have put NAND systems, you said updating libraries in the system can't be done on the fly. When I run Gentoo I'll just run it off of a SD card so I don't have to write to NAND every time I install dependencies.

I don't know, I'm tired, not thinking clearly.

second exodous said:
Vorporeal said:
Oops, I probably should have put NAND systems, you said updating libraries in the system can't be done on the fly. When I run Gentoo I'll just run it off of a SD card so I don't have to write to NAND every time I install dependencies.

You could update libraries on the fly, but there isn't much reason to. Most developers aren't going to require users to install libraries directly to NAND for their program to function - either they'll use libraries that are already there, or they'll just include them in the application directory. With ipkg, you can't install to SD, as it's going to get really confused when installed programs/libraries don't actually exist, even though they were installed. It could cause serious issues with dependency checking. That means that ipkg can only really install to NAND, and this isn't recommended, because while SD cards are replaceable, the NAND isn't. It's best to minimize writing on it so that it doesn't fail sooner than necessary.

Vorporeal said:
second exodous said:
Vorporeal said:

You could update libraries on the fly, but there isn't much reason to. Most developers aren't going to require users to install libraries directly to NAND for their program to function - either they'll use libraries that are already there, or they'll just include them in the application directory. With ipkg, you can't install to SD, as it's going to get really confused when installed programs/libraries don't actually exist, even though they were installed. It could cause serious issues with dependency checking. That means that ipkg can only really install to NAND, and this isn't recommended, because while SD cards are replaceable, the NAND isn't. It's best to minimize writing on it so that it doesn't fail sooner than necessary.
I meant to run Gentoo, one of the main reasons I'm getting the Pandora. Run Ångström to use all the default Pandora stuff until I or someone else gets everything working on Gentoo and then I'll just run it off of a SD. I'll probably run Ångström on NAND and Gentoo on SD because I'm sure I'll be constantly changing Gentoo for a while.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand you before, I thought when you said firmware update you meant that NAND couldn't be updated on the fly, it would have to be rebooted to write, but now I understand that you meant that NAND will wear out. NAND is a new concept for me, I've been using Linux for over 10 years but only on x86.

Back_On_Topic.jpg

Back